Licence renewal issue - Victoria

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Licence renewal issue - Victoria

Post by mickypo » 06 Jun 2019, 5:41 pm

Hi I have an issue with first renewal of my gun licence in Vic and wondered if someone could help. I thought I should post this before I took any or no action.
The Renewal was paid by the due date but I thought I might be moving my place of residence and it says DO NOT HAVE YOUR PHOTO TAKEN if you have changed your address. As I was a bit unsure what I was doing, some time went past and I forgot to have my picture taken and therefore do not have a plastic licence sent to me. So I completely forgot all about it and this was quite a few years ago, it is due for renewal in around a years time. Not sure what to do, is my licence currently still valid or do I have to re-apply - or should I just wait and see if they send a renewal.
Thanks for any help
mickypo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Licence renewal issue - Victoria

Post by Wombat » 06 Jun 2019, 7:50 pm

If you have firearms at home I'd contact your local Gunshop and put them there in storage, then asap contact Victoria Police licensing and ask them about your license.
At least your guns will be in safe legal storage if you are unlicensed. I must say that I am assuming that you are licensed as you should have gotten a letter warning you of the situation from Victoria police if they were going to cancel it. However you must be certain of the situation as there are obvious legal ramifications.
How have you been buying ammo etc without a license?
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jun 2019, 8:11 pm

mickypo wrote:Hi I have an issue with first renewal of my gun licence in Vic and wondered if someone could help. I thought I should post this before I took any or no action.
The Renewal was paid by the due date but I thought I might be moving my place of residence and it says DO NOT HAVE YOUR PHOTO TAKEN if you have changed your address. As I was a bit unsure what I was doing, some time went past and I forgot to have my picture taken and therefore do not have a plastic licence sent to me. So I completely forgot all about it and this was quite a few years ago, it is due for renewal in around a years time. Not sure what to do, is my licence currently still valid or do I have to re-apply - or should I just wait and see if they send a renewal.
Thanks for any help

Do you mean you don't physically have a licence you can show to Police if they ask?
You say you didn't have a photo taken, but do you mean you never even sent the renewal in? If you paid it did you get any receipt?
Do you do any shooting at all?
I certainly wouldn't ignore it. As Wombat said, get your firearms and ammunition into your dealer ASAP, then chase up Firearms and find out how you fix it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 07 Jun 2019, 9:34 pm

On my recent renewals (Longarms and General Cat Handguns, both within a month - bugger!) I received in the mail, the renewal notices.
These were completed, and in the case of the longarms, all scanned and emailed to LRD. In due course, I received a notification telling me to pay $X and once this was done, go to a photopoint and have my photo done. In the mean time the blue slip was adequate to indicate I had a lawful licence.

If the photo wasn't done, the blue payment sheet, I would have thought would still be valid. That being said, if the address (both storage and/or licence) had changed there is a definite requirement to notify LRD within, I think 7 days, and if not, I think the first thing to do would be to email/talk to LRD then work from there.

Sarco
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mickypo » 07 Jun 2019, 11:37 pm

Wombat wrote:If you have firearms at home I'd contact your local Gunshop and put them there in storage, then asap contact Victoria Police licensing and ask them about your license.
At least your guns will be in safe legal storage if you are unlicensed. I must say that I am assuming that you are licensed as you should have gotten a letter warning you of the situation from Victoria police if they were going to cancel it. However you must be certain of the situation as there are obvious legal ramifications.
How have you been buying ammo etc without a license?

Thanks for your reply and advice.
I have the blue renewal with the paid stamp from the bank and the yellow signature part is still attached. My address hasn't changed so that part is not an issue.
I own a Shotty and Air rifle and well stocked with ammo so haven't needed to buy any for several years. I use the SG mostly for clays on private rural property but haven't done so for several years and want to get back into it.
mickypo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mickypo » 07 Jun 2019, 11:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mickypo wrote:Hi I have an issue with first renewal of my gun licence in Vic and wondered if someone could help. I thought I should post this before I took any or no action.
Thanks for any help

Do you mean you don't physically have a licence you can show to Police if they ask?
You say you didn't have a photo taken, but do you mean you never even sent the renewal in? If you paid it did you get any receipt?
Do you do any shooting at all?
I certainly wouldn't ignore it. As Wombat said, get your firearms and ammunition into your dealer ASAP, then chase up Firearms and find out how you fix it.

Thanks for your reply
I don't have the plastic, just the blue form with the paid stamp from the bank. Being my first renewal l wasn't sure of the process so l am guessing that when you have your photo taken they keep the slip with the yellow signature strip and you get the plastic licence in the mail ?
l don't think the forms are very clear in explaining the process of renewal.
I haven't been shooting for quite a few years but want to get back into it.
mickypo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws