Question about PTA form

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Question about PTA form

Post by BobWilliams61 » 29 Jun 2019, 2:12 pm

Just about to submit my first PTA form and I am hoping someone can answer a couple of questions I have.
Just received my licence payment form in the mail which list my licence number so given I have to wait 2 -3 weeks for my photo licence to arrive I thought it would a good idea to submit a PTA form now and shorten the 28 day wait.
I plan for my first rifle a 22RF only I note that have to list the exact make and model on the PTA and I am yet to make up my mind between a CZ457, LA101 or the Tikka T1x, I assume there is no way round not listing the exact make and model on the PTA form.
I supposed it is time to make up my mind
BobWilliams61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Question about PTA form

Post by No1Mk3 » 29 Jun 2019, 2:40 pm

G'day BobWilliams61,
I have in the past bought a different rifle from the one I listed. When your Cat A firearm PTA comes back it will not list the make or model, only the calibre, and LRD do not usually question the variation. If you really want to be sure, apply for both, but only pay at the bank for the one you want and shred the other, no problem. Unless you accidently pay for both, then you will need to buy BOTH rifles! Bit of a bugger getting 2 rifles instead of one, I know, but there you have it!,Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 29 Jun 2019, 7:16 pm

pretty sure that you only need to fill out firearm category, type and caliber
from the pta paperwork, pg6 part 4 (instruction pages for application for a permit to acquire a longarm)

Category A and B longarms
Category A longarms: Prior to applying for a Permit to Acquire you are required to identify the firearm Type and Calibre only.
Category B longarms: You are required to identify the firearm Type, Action and Calibre. The Type, Action and Calibre of the
firearm will then be printed on the permit. The full calibre details must be provided, eg 223REM, 303BRITISH, 270WIN etc.
Provide the serial number and/or Police Reference Number (if known) of the firearm you are applying to acquire.
With the exception of Category A firearms, you must show your genuine need/reason for the acquisition of a firearm. To show a
genuine need, you have to explain why you need that particular category of firearm. For example, a recreational hunter may need
different types of firearms to hunt different game. A sport and target shooter may need a number of firearms in the same category
to shoot in different competitions. If you are acquiring a Category B firearm you will need to explain why your genuine need cannot
be met by a Category A firearm.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by BobWilliams61 » 29 Jun 2019, 8:33 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.
BobWilliams61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws