Gun Safe Location

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Gun Safe Location

Post by BobWilliams61 » 30 Jun 2019, 12:17 pm

Just got my licence, waiting for the plastic one to arrive and posted my PTA form, so I am now about to install my safe in preparation and a few posts on this forum that has got me thinking that my preferred (wife's preferred) location might be frowned by VICPOL.
I was going to install it in an enclosed bay of our 3 bay machinery shed, steel walls, concrete ,no windows, one man size door locked and bolted, shed 10 metres from our house and we are in and out of it every day, as it's the tack room for our horses, no power tools etc stored in it.
I plan to bolt it to the concrete floor and weld it to one of the steel uprights.
My question is that acceptable or is a carboard in my house preferred by VICPOL?
Just I know the grief I will endure when I start drill holes in the hardwood floors from the better half.
BobWilliams61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Gun Safe Location

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2019, 1:09 pm

BobWilliams61 wrote:Just got my licence, waiting for the plastic one to arrive and posted my PTA form, so I am now about to install my safe in preparation and a few posts on this forum that has got me thinking that my preferred (wife's preferred) location might be frowned by VICPOL.
I was going to install it in an enclosed bay of our 3 bay machinery shed, steel walls, concrete ,no windows, one man size door locked and bolted, shed 10 metres from our house and we are in and out of it every day, as it's the tack room for our horses, no power tools etc stored in it.
I plan to bolt it to the concrete floor and weld it to one of the steel uprights.
My question is that acceptable or is a carboard in my house preferred by VICPOL?
Just I know the grief I will endure when I start drill holes in the hardwood floors from the better half.

Sounds fine to me, but I'd suggest you email your DFO and ask him if it's acceptable, he's the guy that'll be out to inspect it.
My safes are in my office, which is separate from the house, but covered by security and CCTV. Been inspected twice with zero problems.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 30 Jun 2019, 5:10 pm

Not sure about vic but in QLD I have had safes in sheds before. Also depending on where your supports are my suggestions are put it in a corner of the room which protects two sides. Also if the door swings open to the right while facing it, have the left side protected by the wall. This is because for prying attacks the guy needs to be levering from the left side of the safe to flip the door open. Its the commonest form of attack if they can't topple a safe and pry it standing over it.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2019, 7:14 pm

In Vic a locked shed is ok. Mine is.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BobWilliams61 » 30 Jun 2019, 9:20 pm

Thanks for all the advise guys.
I honestly believe it's far more secure in my shed bolted to a concrete floor and welding to an upright, but a I will contact the DFO to make sure.
BobWilliams61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by xDom » 16 Oct 2019, 8:18 pm

I thought sheds were frowned upon as a storage location.
It was mentioned in my safety course.
Something about not been frequented as often as the house, tools that could be utilised being in the vicinity, a few things along these lines.
Any one heard this before?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Oct 2019, 8:25 pm

xDom wrote:I thought sheds were frowned upon as a storage location.
Something about not been frequented as often as the house, tools that could be utilised being in the vicinity, a few things along these lines.

Same - in our course it was a definitive no no and we were told that we should write to the regulatory body before committing a safe to a shed to get approval in writing before walking the path.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2019, 3:59 am

xDom wrote:I thought sheds were frowned upon as a storage location.

Yep, my office is in the shed though, I really only sleep in the house so it makes more sense to secure my firearms where I spend most of the day. My office is up the hill because we needed a line-of-sight to the wireless NBN tower to get phone and internet. We transmit the signal wirelessly down to the house, but it's not as strong as my office. The CCTV cameras also connect via the wireless network.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Oct 2019, 4:00 am

G'day All,
In Victoria sheds are fine, I have had safes in tin garden sheds and no problems with inspections. The fact is Police have no say in where you put your safe but do have preferences, one of which is a substantial building with good locks ie: your house, garage, solid wall shed etc. Even a shipping container in your back yard is OK to put a safe in. What the OP proposes is more than good enough, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 17 Oct 2019, 7:22 am

peterclark wrote:Air Soft Guns do fall into this category, but are not currently brought into the country. In South Australia, air rifle pellets & paint balls are no longer classified as ammunition and can be purchased without a licence. Yes, you can buy firearms from interstate, but there are some fees associated with the transfer.

Well thats a good point...!!...makes perfect sense in the flow of conversation in this thread...

Like Blade ssid...why is this "member" still about...?

Mods should tell him we dint have the cheese & shut him out....
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Oct 2019, 7:58 am

I think it’s ramshackle - back having his revenge lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 17 Oct 2019, 10:35 am

Lol...
Ive missed that Ultracrepidarian...
:lol:
Hows that for a word...!!... :lol:
... (just heard it on the radio)...

He'd have added some extra entertainment around here...--added some extra 'warmth' to the 'climate' of the 'climate' thread...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blackened » 17 Oct 2019, 5:17 pm

Stix wrote:Like Blade ssid...why is this "member" still about...?

Because somebody (yes, I'm pointing fingers) didn't use the report functionality.

:P

Bladeracer gets the brownie-points this time.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 17 Oct 2019, 6:35 pm

Blackened wrote:
Stix wrote:Like Blade ssid...why is this "member" still about...?

Because somebody (yes, I'm pointing fingers) didn't use the report functionality.

:P

Bladeracer gets the brownie-points this time.

Well then... 8-)

I only just figured out how to use the report thingo today...
And so i pm'd blade about it today before i reported it...so their atleast half my points......so nerr...
:D
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Patriot » 17 Oct 2019, 7:31 pm

I have no idea what we are now discussing
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 17 Oct 2019, 8:10 pm

Patriot wrote:I have no idea what we are now discussing

Its about this clown ive quoted here...

Stix wrote:
peterclark wrote:Air Soft Guns do fall into this category, but are not currently brought into the country. In South Australia, air rifle pellets & paint balls are no longer classified as ammunition and can be purchased without a licence. Yes, you can buy firearms from interstate, but there are some fees associated with the transfer.

Well thats a good point...!!...makes perfect sense in the flow of conversation in this thread...

Like Blade ssid...why is this "member" still about...?

Mods should tell him we dint have the cheese & shut him out....

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Victorian gun laws