Questions about applying for a license

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Questions about applying for a license

Post by Keystroke » 22 Jul 2019, 8:43 pm

Hi, I'm new here and working on getting my A&B license with hunting as my genuine reason, and was wondering if I just have hunting I can still go shooting at a range or if you also need to put target shooting as your reason. Still trying to learn all the laws, so thanks for the help.

Also trying to find out how often the firearms safety courses are run, as I applied for mine (Southern Metro Region) a month ago and I haven't heard back, the only info on it being "when it's run."
Keystroke
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Questions about applying for a license

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Jul 2019, 10:24 am

If you put target shooting on your application-you’ll be asked to provide membership cards for ranges.

If you only intend to “target” shoot a couple times a year and don’t want to join a club, most ranges will let you attend a couple time for minimal fee, to “sight” in / try bullets...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by CaptinFarrel » 23 Jul 2019, 10:59 am

Just going through this process myself.
I just paid for a range membership so I can list both reasons. Minimal cost to make sure all my bases are covered

Booked in for my course on 16 June and attending tomorrow, also South East metro.
CaptinFarrel
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 Jul 2019, 11:10 am

G'day Keystroke,
Yes, you can still attend a range to shoot (Schedule 2, Sect 1, Sub Sect 3 of the Act), but not participate in formal Target competitions. You will pay much more to access the range than a club member but that would not be a deterrent if you only attend a couple of times a year. Safety courses are only run once enough people register for one, you will be contacted by LRD when this happens. It may be a month or 2 months or longer. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Keystroke » 23 Jul 2019, 3:49 pm

Ok, sounds all good then!
If I were to occasionally go shoot at a range, would the payment be a thing I do every time I go there, or some kind of annual access pass? I'm mainly asking because I might want to go shooting with an unlicensed mate, and from poking around on here before, apparently you can only do that at a licensed range (at least in Vic).
Keystroke
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 23 Jul 2019, 4:09 pm

you only need to apply with a registration of interest to hunt pest animals on crown land in order to have a genuine reason to obtain a firearm
go to your local dewlp office and for I think it is $12 they will give you the form to fill out, you only need this when applying for your licence or renewing it
the registration of interest to hunt pest animals on Crown land can be obtained by contacting the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning on 136 186 as well https://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/pest-animals

this would give you your licence on hunting pest animals but still able to attend clubs and shoot as a non member

down my way (geelong area) we hold the safety courses weekly for up to 25 applicants at a time, you can ring your areas dfo direct or email him/her
dont wait for a callback keep onto them and see if you can do the course elsewhere to do the test sooner :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 23 Jul 2019, 8:45 pm

Cover ALL your bases. Join SSAA or Field and Game, join Deer Stalkers or Field Hunters. Join something. On your Lic application , your reasons (plural) Target shooting, Hunting, Feral pest control,everything you can fit in. Don't put one reason. If you get picked up doing anything not listed on yr License, problem. Get yr local shop to help you. Apart from being valid reasons, being a club or association member opens soooo many doors and provides a lot of oportunities you wont get going solo. Safety courses are run twice a week in the Werribee, Caroline Springs area. Once a week in Epping, and in a lot of other locations. Check out the District Firearms Officer for each area, they will probably help you out. Send an email to Licensing and Regulation Division, they may give you some alternatives. Unless you are some sort of study nut, law student etc, getting too deep into the Firearms Act will put you to sleep. The Laws are simple, sometimes a little wierd, but simple. The Wildlife Regs as well. I have to read them every now and then, and my nose usually hits the desk after about 5 minutes.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Keystroke » 24 Jul 2019, 11:07 pm

marksman wrote:down my way (geelong area) we hold the safety courses weekly for up to 25 applicants at a time, you can ring your areas dfo direct or email him/her
dont wait for a callback keep onto them and see if you can do the course elsewhere to do the test sooner :drinks:

I did email them, it was how I sent in my application and how I asked a follow-up question, which when I didn't get the answer I came on here for. I tried looking it up, but I can't seem to find any information relating to other safety courses, would you point me in the right direction maybe?

madang55 wrote:Apart from being valid reasons, being a club or association member opens soooo many doors and provides a lot of oportunities you wont get going solo.

My local gun store owner said that being part of a club provides a kind of insurance in case anything goes wrong. Is that kind of like what you're talking about?
Keystroke
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 25 Jul 2019, 5:53 am

Being part of the SSAA you are able to take out insurance for your gear. Taking part in SSAA club sponsored events you are covered. Any gun shop will be able to tell you where the closest course testing takes place. You then need to register with the DFO for that area to see if they will let you sit away from home.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 25 Jul 2019, 4:14 pm

here is the phone numbers for the dfo's in the southern metro district
should be able to get onto one of them

Divisional Firearms Offices Phone Station
SD1 Stonnington, Port Phillip 9520 5290 Prahran
SD2 Glen Eira, Bayside, Kingston 9556 6534 Moorabbin
SD3 Dandenong, Casey, Cardinia 9767 7555 Dandenong
SD4 Frankston, Mornington Peninsula,
Point Nepean Ward 5978 1346 Somerville
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws