Online PTA's

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Online PTA's

Post by CaptinFarrel » 09 Sep 2019, 11:49 am

Hi all,

Not sure where but i'm sure i read that some dealers can submit PTA's same day if their registered for the online system? Provided its not your first firearm.

Anyone know of any dealers in Melb who use this system?
CaptinFarrel
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Online PTA's

Post by bladeracer » 09 Sep 2019, 1:23 pm

CaptinFarrel wrote:Hi all,

Not sure where but i'm sure i read that some dealers can submit PTA's same day if their registered for the online system? Provided its not your first firearm.

Anyone know of any dealers in Melb who use this system?

Not in Melbourne, but two hours out of Melbourne and they go through in minutes usually. I've never heard of any dealer that doesn't do them online.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CaptinFarrel » 09 Sep 2019, 1:44 pm

Oh that's interesting, only dealt with one shop so far they had old photo copied forms and mailed them in.

Which shop 2 hours out do you recommend? I do travel a lot so might be a good option
CaptinFarrel
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 09 Sep 2019, 1:56 pm

You might find that the old photocopied form is just to capture the details so they can key it in online in bulk later in the day.
If you submit at a quiet time in the day, you can sometimes get it approved while you're still in the store.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 Sep 2019, 2:29 pm

Sorry guys some wrong info there.

There are some shops that are still paper based. Many who are on the online system. I know Gun Emporium and Melb gun works, Sunbury firearms, Clayton firearms and possibly Gunco and Maalis in Frankston that definitely do electronic PTAs. I know armory doesn't if you near Dandenong.

On the online system there is no guarantee that the pta will be approved within a few hours... definitely not minutes, can be even overnight. I read on the forum someone saying it's starting to take 3/4 of days after the nz shooting.

Mate in your case try and ring your closest gunshop or the gunshop you want to buy from and find out... quicker than asking here. But you have a short list
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Sep 2019, 3:01 pm

Ziad wrote:Sorry guys some wrong info there.

There are some shops that are still paper based. Many who are on the online system. I know Gun Emporium and Melb gun works, Sunbury firearms, Clayton firearms and possibly Gunco and Maalis in Frankston that definitely do electronic PTAs. I know armory doesn't if you near Dandenong.

On the online system there is no guarantee that the pta will be approved within a few hours... definitely not minutes, can be even overnight. I read on the forum someone saying it's starting to take 3/4 of days after the nz shooting.

Mate in your case try and ring your closest gunshop or the gunshop you want to buy from and find out... quicker than asking here. But you have a short list

My quickest was under ten minutes, most have been a matter of hours, certainly the same day.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CaptinFarrel » 09 Sep 2019, 3:17 pm

Ziad wrote:Sorry guys some wrong info there.

Thanks for that mate, I was planning on going down to Clayton this week to check it out anyway :)
CaptinFarrel
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 Sep 2019, 6:40 pm

One time i used electronic it was the same ready by mid morning. But i usually goto Armory and Amunition in Dandenong, Jamie is always very helpful... but they do paper PTA.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 17 Sep 2019, 8:07 am

I put in a 338 lap last week and it did drag out overnight for that one.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by CaptinFarrel » 17 Sep 2019, 11:55 am

Well I found my rifle last Monday put the PTA in and it was approved over night. But, LRD Don't have a record of my current rifle for some reason so I have to wait 28 days again.....
CaptinFarrel
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 17 Sep 2019, 12:05 pm

Wish they'd do the same thing in Queensland usually takes two weeks up here.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Sep 2019, 1:53 pm

MontyShooter wrote:I put in a 338 lap last week and it did drag out overnight for that one.

You getting the new ruger?
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 17 Sep 2019, 4:13 pm

Ziad wrote:
You getting the new ruger?

Yup
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Sep 2019, 8:02 am

Good luck.. you got your brass, dies etc sorted. Btw did you get the one on used guns by a local shop or the next shipment that's coming.

The gun is the cheapest part i hear (got a friend with a sako trg42)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 18 Sep 2019, 9:12 am

I've ordered the hornady match grade die set. I should have enough factory ammo to build up some brass by the time the die set arrives. I may get some lapua brass if I shoot it alot. At $8 a shot it's not a gun made for factory ammo.

I'm in this next shipment that supposedly landed on 6 sep.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Sep 2019, 3:17 pm

Looks like you are nearly set, good luck with the gun let us know how you go shooting it... should be fun.

And you probably laugh at NSW with their rules and regs... they can't have a rpr in 223 let alone in 338.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Sep 2019, 4:16 pm

Ziad wrote:Looks like you are nearly set, good luck with the gun let us know how you go shooting it... should be fun.

And you probably laugh at NSW with their rules and regs... they can't have a rpr in 223 let alone in 338.

I thought they can provided the stock is pinned in place?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws