PTA 28 days for pistol if I already have a rifle?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

PTA 28 days for pistol if I already have a rifle?

Post by JohnSimister » 01 Oct 2019, 6:59 pm

I have just sent in to the LRD a Permit to Aquire for my first handgun. Will I have to wait the mandatory 28 days if I already own a registered .222 rifle?

John
JohnSimister
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: PTA 28 days for pistol if I already have a rifle?

Post by bladeracer » 02 Oct 2019, 11:28 am

JohnSimister wrote:I have just sent in to the LRD a Permit to Aquire for my first handgun. Will I have to wait the mandatory 28 days if I already own a registered .222 rifle?

John

I think the 28 days is for a new licence. If you apply for CatA/B together I think you only wait 28 days for one rifle of either Cat (that's what I did), but if you only have CatA, then add CatB you have to wait 28 days for your first CatB rifle. But a quick call to your DFO will get you the correct answer.

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/firearms-licensing

It states: "All new licence applications are processed in order of receipt and are subject to a 28 day waiting period, regardless if you hold another type of licence."
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnSimister » 02 Oct 2019, 4:39 pm

Thanks bladeracer for your help

John
JohnSimister
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 02 Oct 2019, 5:21 pm

Just out of curiosity I went to the Vic police firearms page to find out about this new online application process. It is a bit of a false advertising or misrepresentation. You fill out a form online and then print it. Then you put that printed form in the old fashioned post along with all your supporting documentation. Certified copies of id so you are still going to police stations taking up their time getting copies certified. .Not quite the new age of online cutting edge technology like facial recognition and bio security.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by sungazer » 02 Oct 2019, 11:03 pm

Yes if you already have an A&B firearms license you would know that you need your handgun license, member of a club and the rest of the procedures before you are going anywhere near a PTA.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 02 Oct 2019, 11:43 pm

sungazer wrote:Yes if you already have an A&B firearms license you would know that you need your handgun license, member of a club and the rest of the procedures before you are going anywhere near a PTA.

Where did he say he hadn't already done all this?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnSimister » 03 Oct 2019, 10:24 am

Thanks guys, No, there is no misleading intentions behind my post. It is a genuine question. Yes, I already have a General Handgun Licence. This is my first handgun, however, I have owned rifles for many years. John
JohnSimister
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws