Junior shooters license just faffing about?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Junior shooters license just faffing about?

Post by rigatoni » 20 Feb 2014, 12:50 pm

Nothing against junior shooters and all that, just not sure if I'm missing something around the purposes of junior shooters licenses.

Once a junior has their license they still can't own or be responsible for the storage of a firearm, and they can shoot at a shooting range but must be under supervision from an adult license holder.

Anyone can shoot at a range under supervision though...

Don't know if I'm missing something... Does a junior shooters license actually allow them to do anything above and beyond non-licensed persons or is it just to make the kids feel more part of the sport?
Weaver Grand Slam
Savage 11/111 FCNS .270 Winchester
rigatoni
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Junior shooters license just faffing about?

Post by JC102 » 20 Feb 2014, 2:08 pm

In Victoria, they can shoot on private property if they're supervised. I think that's about it.
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Fry » 20 Feb 2014, 5:50 pm

Yep, they can carry their own shooter around outside of the range under supervision.

Not something a non-licensed person can do...
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 21 Feb 2014, 7:17 am

I think that's pretty much the same across the country.

Allows the kids to carry their own when out and about, but still under supervision.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Feb 2014, 8:43 am

Sounds like its worth getting the kids a licence... Not!
Member-Deleted

Post by Guliver » 21 Feb 2014, 11:36 am

Jaso wrote:Sounds like its worth getting the kids a licence... Not!

Are you trying to say the junior license has no value? I see it as an incentive for juniors to learn responsible gun handling and be rewarded with their own license at the end of training a step toward obtaining a full license when they become of age. There are many junior license holders in our club who feel a sense of pride when they have worked hard and have something to show at the end of it.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Feb 2014, 12:28 pm

Not only no value, but a complete waste of time & money.
Member-Deleted

Post by disko » 21 Feb 2014, 2:16 pm

Anywhere a licensed shooter can shoot, I reckon a non-licensed shooter should be able to as well while under supervision.

Makes no sense to me to limit it to shooting ranges.
Meopta Meopro 4-12x50mm on Fluted Howa Sporter.
.308 Winchester.
disko
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Feb 2014, 4:20 pm

The way I do it might be the right way or it might be the wrong way. All I say to my kids (6&8) is only shoot it for a reason, only load it if your going to shoot it & don't point it at anyone. Don't over complicate it. Telling them they need a licence, orange hat, revolving light or whatever is just giving them something else to think of instead of watching what there doing. As disko says why they need a licence at all is beyond me as a non licence shooter can shoot anywhere with the stoke of a pen.
Member-Deleted

Post by Guliver » 21 Feb 2014, 6:08 pm

Kids want to be just like Dad.

Kids need

self`-pride′

n.
pride in one's abilities, status, possessions, etc.; self-esteem.

It may not mean much to you, but kids respond well encouragement, rewards and training. Having their own license is another step in life, tangible evidence of what they have trained and worked for. I guess nobody remembers Boy Scout Merit Badges? Same deal. as far as the kids are concerned.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 21 Feb 2014, 7:32 pm

In ACT unlicenced people must be supervised by an instructor not another licenced shooter, juniors licenced shooters can be supervised by anyone, another shooter (property) or RO (range)
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by pajamatime » 22 Feb 2014, 12:01 pm

Jaso wrote:Not only no value, but a complete waste of time & money.

Edited for relevancy:

interesting thing is , I have so far not found anything at least from Queensland police sources that can clarify this.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/w ... minors.htm

and Legislative sources

https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGI ... uto,52,616

to be honest unless someone can point me to it I'm under the impression at least for QLD that a minors license has the same "storage" "Possession/ownership" conditions as a adult license. which is a bit odd. maybe I'm not looking in the correct place for this information....

edit: i found this: Additional Notes for Minors:

Licence expires on your 18th birthday
Minors cannot have a licence for recreational shooting;
Minors cannot acquire weapons; and
Category A, B & H can all be on one (1) licence.

Can a minor possess firearms other than for training on an approved range?

Section 52 (1)(a)&(b) of the Weapons Act 1990 states that physical possession and use of a weapon is sometimes allowed for the purpose of training a minor. A minor who is at least 11 years may have physical possession of and use a category A or B weapon or a category M crossbow in a place where it is lawful to physically possess and use a category A or B weapon or a category M crossbow if the minor is under the direct and immediate supervision of a parent, guardian or another person who is acting in the place of a parent or guardian and the parent, guardian or other person is licensed to possess the weapon.
Last edited by pajamatime on 22 Feb 2014, 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Feb 2014, 1:19 pm

pajamatime wrote:do you really expect a child to be left on his own Completely unsupervised with something as dangerous as a firearm? i reckon only one type of individual would see the supervision of a child with a firearm as a complete drag....a child lol

Show me where I wrote a child should be left on his own! If you can't read the thread don't bother replying.
Member-Deleted

Post by pajamatime » 22 Feb 2014, 1:45 pm

Jaso wrote:Show me where I wrote a child should be left on his own! If you can't read the thread don't bother replying.

Nope your right my apologizes, I had been multitasking and got my threads mixed up.

Regardless, you could still find some of what I typed useful to some degree I bet. I would appreciate if you were a little bit more polite too :lol:
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Norton » 22 Feb 2014, 8:40 pm

Junior shooters today, voters tomorrow ;)
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Monty » 23 Feb 2014, 8:04 am

Righto, a few posts edited here...

Easy on the language fellows.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 23 Feb 2014, 11:11 am

Norton wrote:Junior shooters today, voters tomorrow ;)

indeed! we must educate our young ones well!
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by padaro » 23 Feb 2014, 12:42 pm

A few ranges I know do 'junior' shooting days and stuff like that.

Usually a pretty good turn out, so no shortage of kids wanting to get into it it seems.
padaro
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by loaded » 23 Feb 2014, 5:29 pm

There are a few differences between a non-licenced person and a Junior licence.

Firstly the Junior licence allows the holder to shoot in competition shooting. You want your son or daughter to be a top shooter up to Olympic champion they will need a Junior licence.

Secondly, months of turning 18 will receive a full licence renewal, this licence takes effect once 18.
How many junior shooters will go and get a full licence once 18, how many will pay for a renewal when it turns up regardless. I would guess 1 in 500 no Junior licences, 9 in 10 renewal.

Next is the pride and joy the kid will have by having the licence, as already pointed out.

And the Junior licences holder has to pass the tests that a full licence holder sits…shows knowledge, competency, safety, legality.

Also is the fact that it shows that the parent is responsible and (in Vic) law abiding.
loaded
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Humir » 24 Feb 2014, 10:02 am

Regardless of the legal difference mentioned, I reckon it's good to make the kids feel like they're genuinely part of it.

Going for a shoot is one thing, having a license of their own would be point of pride for heaps of kids I'm sure.
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by rigatoni » 05 Mar 2014, 1:49 pm

JC102 wrote:In Victoria, they can shoot on private property if they're supervised. I think that's about it.

Fry wrote:Yep, they can carry their own shooter around outside of the range under supervision.

Not something a non-licensed person can do...

Ah ok, well as long as they can do something that's ok.

Thanks guys.
Weaver Grand Slam
Savage 11/111 FCNS .270 Winchester
rigatoni
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by 5Tom » 07 Mar 2014, 9:35 am

For qld, between the age of 11 and 17, a junior licence allows a kid to legally handle a firearm under supervision, outside of a shooting range with a fully licensed shooter.

A Non-licensed person is allowed to join a hunting party but is illegal to handle a firearm.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Prettybird » 07 Mar 2014, 12:28 pm

5Tom wrote:A Non-licensed person is allowed to join a hunting party but is illegal to handle a firearm.

Is allowed to be a 5th wheel then :lol:
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Victorian gun laws