Can A Pistol License Holder Supervise An Unlicensed Person?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Can A Pistol License Holder Supervise An Unlicensed Person?

Post by Crazy » 12 Oct 2019, 3:58 pm

I've only just start my journey into pistols and I'm still very new to the laws regarding handguns so excuse my ignorance. So can a legally licensed person supervise an unlicensed person when shooting pistols in Victoria?

Take this situation for example. Lets say i go to Little River with a unlicensed friend of mine and at this point i have a handgun license and handgun in my possession. Can my unlicensed mate legally use my pistol while under my supervision at the Little River range?

Cheers. :drinks:
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Can A Pistol License Holder Supervise An Unlicensed Pers

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 12 Oct 2019, 4:45 pm

Nope. Unless you sneak it in.

You need a form to be filled in advance at least and notify them about it, i think their RO needs to instruct as will. I nearly got to shoot a handgun until the RO saw what was happening and came and....umm yelled at us both... some of them love to yell... some apologise afterwards and can usually have a laugh about it... and some are just very serious
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Oct 2019, 5:46 pm

G'day Crazy, Under most circumstances, yes, you can supervise your mate. On the public range there are a few formalities to be observed and you will need to talk to the RO first. Also your mate will need to fill out a VicPol NORI form (Notice of Receiving Instruction) which can be downloaded from the VicPol website, your club should also have a few forms for members. Easiest way is to invite your mate on your club day and shoot on the top pistol ranges away from the public, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Oct 2019, 12:23 pm

Ahh thanks no1... learn a few things everyday
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws