Safe Keys + Unlicensed person in the house

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Safe Keys + Unlicensed person in the house

Post by GQshayne » 12 Jan 2020, 7:29 pm

My idea of hiding your keys would not involve a handbag - ever. It can be stolen, and they frequently are. What a pain that would be. And locked boxes and safes are a target if they are visible.

Find a good spot in your home. Think outside the square. Away from the safe, not an obvious hiding spot. In my case, the only thing in that spot is the safe key, nothing else.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Clem » 12 Jan 2020, 7:47 pm

An accepted method of keeping your key safe and complying with any laws.

There are many different types to choose from.
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by NewShooterGirl » 12 Jan 2020, 8:12 pm

If I were to buy a safe with a digital pin code, I think it would be nice to have a spare emergency back up key Archie, just in case if something goes wrong with the keypad in general. Just in case if the wires blow up over time or something. Otherwise yes, not having spare back up keys would be handy. No keys to worry about, hide, or secure. It’d be easier, that's for sure :)

I think I’ll just follow your advices Ferrisweil and Ziad, I’ll just hide my keys and I just won’t tell my partner where the keys are and that’s it. I’ll probably just hide them in my handbag and put a little $10 padlock on it for a little extra protection and security and that’s it. Done.

And that’s right Ziad. During my safety course, which was a couple months ago now.. although the policemen were really nice, they did not mention the safekeeping of keys at all. I guess they just don’t have time to cover everything. Which is understandable :)
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by NewShooterGirl » 12 Jan 2020, 8:21 pm

You do have a good point GQshayne, hiding my keys in my handbag sounded good to me. In the sense that my handbag is with me everywhere I go 24/7. It would give me a certain peace of mind knowing that my keys would be with me everywhere I go, however yes, like you said, if my handbag is ever stolen, then that would potentially be a massive issue. I've never had a handbag stolen before, but you never know. I will call the manufacturer of my safe tomorrow to see what the process would be in terms of getting new keys if my keys were to be stolen. If it’s easy and cheap for them to replace the keys then maybe I’ll just store my keys in my handbag. Otherwise I will have to reconsider :) Clem, I don’t think my keys would fit in that little kiddle, my keys are pretty long unfortunately
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Clem » 12 Jan 2020, 8:29 pm

NewShooterGirl wrote::) Clem, I don’t think my keys would fit in that little kiddle, my keys are pretty long unfortunately

There are larger ones available. Personally I would not leave it to chance so I ensure my keys are secure, both for safety and security purposes.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. :drinks:
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 12 Jan 2020, 9:36 pm

Combination locks solve this hassle.

If you own a house then use concrete and get a floor safe.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 12 Jan 2020, 10:13 pm

You can get creative with hiding spots, how many people would think to look in places like this. Obviously you wouldn't do this with a door that could be kicked in or broken to get entry.
Attachments
enhanced-buzz-18771-1345219306-2.jpg
enhanced-buzz-18771-1345219306-2.jpg (58.36 KiB) Viewed 5360 times
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 13 Jan 2020, 6:32 am

Holy s**t this thread is an eyeopener.

I'd always interpreted it as having the keys on me (ie same chain as my housekeys/carkeys etc) or within sight was sufficiently secure. If I'm in the house the keys are just about always within arms reach, and if I'm out of the house they're in my pocket.

But I hadn't considered that if the licencing bloke rocks up for a random inspection and I let him in, then proceed to collect my keyring from off the coffee table then I could be done!

I guess i'm shelling out for one of them combination keyboxes then. Seems counterintuitive to implement a system that now houses the keys in the same building as the safe when I'm at work all day, in order to avoid a compliance issue when I'm home and perfectly able to keep my eye on things, but I suppose these are the times we live in.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 13 Jan 2020, 7:23 am

GojiraSteve;

I think the issue with the law (in most cases) is that it's kinda really open to interpretation....

If you have a police inspection one day
Then the cop sees you grab the keyring from your coffee table
You're right, you could kinda technically be done for it, if it's the cop's interpretation that you haven't secured your keys properly or enough
Then the whole thing could go to court..
That would be an absolute nightmare..

On the other hand;
You could get another cop who's in a good mood, who's chilled, who's laid back and thinks that your keys from you coffee table is perfectly fine who may not care that much at all
In which case, then you'd be perfectly fine

So it kinda really comes down to interpretation

I think it's best to err on the side of caution

For me, I'd rather not take any risks.....

I bought this portable key safe from bunnings;
https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandleford- ... e_p4210229
Was only $20, why not
Last edited by TheFirearmEnthusiast on 13 Jan 2020, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by NewShooterGirl » 13 Jan 2020, 8:41 am

Agreed with TheFirearmEnthusiast. It sounds like it's best to go the extra mile and secure your keys adequately for peace of mind. Losing your firearms and potentially getting charged over a "small technicality". It's just not worth it. Either #1 hiding your keys or #2 locking them up, either way sounds fine to me, according to what everyone said on here. If you wanna be extra safe beyond the shadow of a doubt, I guess you could even do both (hiding them + locking them up) :mrgreen: :geek: :welcome:
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 13 Jan 2020, 6:42 pm

NewShooterGirl wrote:You do have a good point GQshayne, hiding my keys in my handbag sounded good to me. In the sense that my handbag is with me everywhere I go 24/7. It would give me a certain peace of mind knowing that my keys would be with me everywhere I go, however yes, like you said, if my handbag is ever stolen, then that would potentially be a massive issue. I've never had a handbag stolen before, but you never know. I will call the manufacturer of my safe tomorrow to see what the process would be in terms of getting new keys if my keys were to be stolen. If it’s easy and cheap for them to replace the keys then maybe I’ll just store my keys in my handbag. Otherwise I will have to reconsider :) Clem, I don’t think my keys would fit in that little kiddle, my keys are pretty long unfortunately

Shootergirl; It may be more of an inconvenience than just getting new keys.

I remember from my safety course the instructor telling us why Firearms Licensing doesnt put our address on the license card , in case it gets lost, then no one knows where you live. otherwise you could be targeted by unscrupulous types for a firearms theft. .. The instructor also said it was a totally redundant idea due to 95% of people keeping firearms license in their purse/wallet right next to drivers license which has... *bingo* your home address on it..

In the case of keeping your safe keys in your handbag, you've just given the lucky recipient of your purse the holy trifecta, they know you have guns, they know your address. AND they have the keys.

eeeech.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by CrackThump » 13 Jan 2020, 6:47 pm

and thank you to the several who posted about the bunnings type combination key safes... I have on occasion thrown my keys (house/car/gun safe) onto my bedside table while Im at home - unsecured when Im not in that room - would be embarrassing and costly to have an inspecting officer see that. or worse, someone accessed the safe without authority.

maybe the little key safe IS the answer....
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Jan 2020, 9:11 pm

Honestly though... why don't you ring your local DFO, have a chat to them, find out what they would like you to do.

Simples
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 14 Jan 2020, 6:43 pm

My friend who got me into shooting
He's a great guy
He's a fantastic guy
Unfortunately though
His daughter suffers from depression/bi-polar
He told me that he cannot afford to "just hide the keys" somewhere in the house
Because if his daughter ever were to stumble across his safe keys by accident, then a tragedy could happen
So he has no choice but to store his keys into a safe of their own

Personally for me
I'm a big fan of locking up your keys into a safe of their own
Not only is it the most secure way of securing your safe and firearms away from any unauthorised access/person
But you would also then be one thousand percent on the side of the law

This safe right here from bunnings is only $40
https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandleford- ... e_p4220419

Of course everyone is different and has different perspectives
But for me, having absolute peace of mind for $40
To me it's worth it
:)
:thumbsup:
:drinks:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Jan 2020, 6:52 pm

How can you have absolute piece of mind from a thing worth 40 bucks.... considering it cost Bunnings probably 25-30. Which includes a profit for the importer... do China probably made it for 10 bucks.

More importantly, you are so confident of a ten buck item, it probably would take someone with a hammer or an angle grinder about 2 minutes to break into the box.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 14 Jan 2020, 7:08 pm

That safe from bunnings, it's actually pretty good quality Ziad
It's pretty solid
(I went to check it out this afternoon)
You can even bolt it to the frame of your house as well or into the concrete of your house and everything
It's pretty cool
And like the OP said Ziad (from what I understand) she's just trying to keep her boyfriend away from playing with her firearms when she's not home
Hence why she's trying to secure her keys to the best of her ability
She's also trying to show the police that her keys are fully secured as well
(Trying to show that she's following the letter of the law to the T)
In which case, for her to secure her keys into a safe of their own
I think that achieves the purpose that she's after
:)
No need to be so negative bro!
Relax
Have a beer!
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 14 Jan 2020, 7:28 pm

Just hide them in an old toilet roll next to the brush.
A) no bloke is gonna look there
B) no crim is gonna look there
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Jan 2020, 7:40 pm

she is trying to hide it from her BF....hmm i don't think that was the case.

But if she explains to the BF that's its illegal for him to know where the keys are, or open the safe and if cops found out, she likely will lose her firearms and goto court.

And he still does it.... i reckon hes not the type of person to know let alone have as a BF. Being in a relationship involved respecting boundaries... maybe you don't know that, with time my little padwan you will understand
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 14 Jan 2020, 7:53 pm

If I were a burglar and I found a small locked box inside somebody s wardrobe or whatever I would either take the box home to open because I’m keen to see what it contains or I would try to get that box open with a screwdriver immediately. So there’s 50 per cent chance that you have just given the burglar access to your gun safe Most cupboards or drawer units or bathroom vanity cabinets have out of sight nooks and crannies where you could hide a key. Pull out a drawer and feel around inside there and u are bound to find a spot where you could jam or tape a key
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Jan 2020, 8:00 pm

Yep, how about taping it to the back of the kitchen cupboards... a robber will have no time to look through your pots and pan.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by NewShooterGirl » 14 Jan 2020, 8:19 pm

Woah, take a chill pill guys.. I honestly do see the benefits of both sides of the argument. Personally, i'm not a big fan of hiding my keys somewhere in the house either. Sometimes I do the cleaning, sometimes my boyfriend does the cleaning, when he does do the cleaning, there is a chance he could stumble across my keys by accident, id rather avoid that altogether. I'm sure you guys know the curiosity that non-licensed people have for firearms. For a non-licensed person, firearms would be very intriguing. So Id rather take that temptation away completely. Its gonna give me greater peace of mind for when i'm not home. So I do see the benefit of storing your keys inside a safe of their own where only I would know the pin code of it. I could always place that safe in my walking wardrobe or laundry (it's only small) I could easily hide it with clothes in front of it or with detergent in front of it (if its in the laundry). I could even bolt it to the frame of my house as well through the studs. It's only 2x screws. Easy peasy. Problem solved. Keys 100% secured. Bolted to the wall. Hidden. And no one has access to it. There's no need to fight guys :lol:
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 14 Jan 2020, 8:31 pm

My friend
The one who got me into shooting
The one who's daughter has depression/bi polar
He told me that storing his keys inside a digital safe of their own is the best decision he ever made for peace of mind

I personally store my keys inside a safe as well
And I love it
It's just so much easier (I find)
It really can't hurt

Good luck
:thumbsup:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 14 Jan 2020, 8:39 pm

I’ve got a theory. I reckon “newshootergirl” and “TheFirearmEnthusiast” are the same person??
If not, guys should move in with each other and play “hide the safe key”.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 14 Jan 2020, 8:44 pm

Ferrisweil;
Lol there's no need for me to move in with "NewShooterGirl"
I'm trying to get my girlfriend to get into shooting so that we can go hunting together
I took her shooting once but she didn't like it
I'll persevere though
Hopefully one day
Last edited by TheFirearmEnthusiast on 14 Jan 2020, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by NewShooterGirl » 14 Jan 2020, 8:47 pm

:lol: seriously guys, take a chill pill. Let's just accept the fact that everyone has got their own preferences when it comes to securing their keys and let's just leave it at that :welcome: :geek:
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 14 Jan 2020, 8:49 pm

No ones serious lol
It’s called “banter”, something that seems to be non existent online...
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by NewShooterGirl » 14 Jan 2020, 8:51 pm

:lol: hahaha sorry should've picked up on that :geek:
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by NewShooterGirl » 14 Jan 2020, 8:56 pm

:violin: Anyway, hopefully this thread has been educational for everyone involved, some people on here did mention that they've learned a few things which was good :welcome: :geek:
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Jan 2020, 9:45 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:Ferrisweil;
Lol there's no need for me to move in with "NewShooterGirl"
I'm trying to get my girlfriend to get into shooting so that we can go hunting together
I took her shooting once but she didn't like it
I'll persevere though
Hopefully one day

Don't do it, my wife has no interest in shooting but I took her to a local competition after some practice and she beat me with my own rifle. She came second and I came third. Never again.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ferrisweil » 14 Jan 2020, 10:16 pm

Love my wife to bits but feck that. When I’m going away I’m sure she enjoys me being away just as much as I enjoy being out with the lads. In my case, the two aren’t compatible and we’re both happy about that haha
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws