PTA Clarification + SMS Notification

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

PTA Clarification + SMS Notification

Post by NewShooterGirl » 17 Jan 2020, 11:25 am

Hi everyone :mrgreen: :welcome: I applied for my 1st PTA! Woo-hoo! 8-) (It was done through a store) For your 1st PTA you're meant to wait 28x days before you can collect your rifle. Does that mean that you have to wait 28x days after the day you've applied and then collect your rifle on the 29th day? Or can you collect your rifle on the 28th day after the day you've applier? Also, the store told me I'm meant to get a SMS notification letting me know that my PTA has been approved, but I haven't received the SMS notification yet. Does anybody here know when you're meant to receive the SMS notification approximately? Cheers :welcome: :mrgreen: :geek: 8-)
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: PTA Clarification + SMS Notification

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jan 2020, 12:12 pm

The gun shop just rang me and said it’s been approved and to come in and pick it up. The PTA lasts for a month too so you can pick it up any time within that month.

I didn’t get any sms or anything
Member-Deleted

Post by NewShooterGirl » 17 Jan 2020, 12:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback Denno :mrgreen: :welcome: In terms of collecting your rifle, do you know if it's from the 28th day onwards? Or is it from the 29th day onwards?
I hope it's from the 28th day onwards, because the 28th day would fall on my day off of work, which would work out perfect for me. Otherwise I'll have to wait another extra week before being able to get a day off from work to collect it :( :violin:
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Jan 2020, 2:55 pm

Hmm so you applied and got your license.

After getting license you went into a gun shop and they put an electronic PTA?

basically once the first application is received, they do nothing with it, don't look at it till 28 days are part. Then the normal wait time applies. Once you get your pta or your shop gets it you can pick up your rifle
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by NewShooterGirl » 17 Jan 2020, 3:22 pm

Ok. Thanks Ziad :mrgreen: :welcome: I guess I'll get to pick up my rifle in 28x days + 1x week (give or take then) Thank you :D :geek:
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 17 Jan 2020, 7:36 pm

NewShooterGirl wrote:Ok. Thanks Ziad :mrgreen: :welcome: I guess I'll get to pick up my rifle in 28x days + 1x week (give or take then) Thank you :D :geek:

Yep, you got it. Now I cannot speak for Victoria, but here in Gods own country, I have had a PTA approved in two days, and also about 6 weeks. Just be prepared for "red-tape" delays. It appears the various weapons licensing branches around Oz have large rolls of it, and use it quite regularly. The red tape, that is. :allegedly:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by NewShooterGirl » 18 Jan 2020, 9:04 am

All the red tape is freaking annoying.. :cry: :roll: :thumbsdown: :problem: :crazy:
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 18 Jan 2020, 11:57 am

NewShooterGirl wrote:All the red tape is freaking annoying.. :cry: :roll: :thumbsdown: :problem: :crazy:

Yes it is. If you are interested have a look at a thread I posted recently about Qld Licensing, and the continual stuff up they made on one occasion. Mind boggling sometimes.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by NewShooterGirl » 18 Jan 2020, 5:42 pm

When you send your 1st PTA. It's kinda really poor how they make you wait the 28x days cooling off period already, but then on top of that, they then also add the time to process it as well AFTER the 28th days have already passed. Thats kind of so poor.... Surely they could've processed it and approved it during the 28x days cooling off period. But no, they add even more time on top - sigh - :( :cry: :roll: :crazy: :thumbsdown: :violin:
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Jan 2020, 6:20 pm

Well don't say your safety course didn't cover that as well?

If you send your license application and a PTA at same time then they process it together. So the pta will take a few days after you get your license, not 28 + a few days
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by NewShooterGirl » 18 Jan 2020, 7:10 pm

I don't mean to share too much about my personal life Ziad. But I do have a chronic auto immune disease. I wasn't sure if I would qualify for a firearms license. Because I saw somewhere that you had to be "medically fit" in order to qualify for a firearms license. I wasn't sure if I'd qualify due to my physical illness. Hence why I didn't file my PTA at the same time as my application. I wanted to see if I'd qualify for a firearms license first. And I don't mind waiting the 28x days cooling off period for the 1st PTA anyway. It just would've been nice for the police to NOT add extra days on top of what I've waited already. Surely they could've approved my PTA during the 28x days cooling off period. Surely. That's the point that I'm making. Oh well I guess.....
- sigh -
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Jan 2020, 8:15 pm

Hey don't worry i think i deliberately waited another 28 days, cuz i wasn't sure what i was getting first.

Apologies if it came out smartass like. That wasn't what i meant, even though the words might look sarcastic.

The law says 28 day wait before first license, and 28 day wait on your first PTA. LRD is a bureaucracy so they just following the letter of the law. Actually i am surprised they will run the wait concurrently if both are sent together.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by NewShooterGirl » 18 Jan 2020, 9:52 pm

Yeah, that's another reason why I didn't submit my PTA at the same time as my application as well Ziad. I didn't know which firearm I wanted to get at the time of my application as well. Like I said, it's no big deal. I honestly don't mind waiting the "28x days PTA cooling off period". I don't mind. That's no big deal. It's just silly/frustrating that you've gotta wait extra days ON TOP of the 2x cooling off periods. The PTA that I applied for, it's for a basic .22LR rimfire Cat A. They probably could've processed that in 1x day or 2x DURING my 28x days PTA cooling off period to save time and energy. But no, they wait 28x days before even taking a look at it. Yet again, another hurdle/muck around..... Doesn't seem cool. That's all I'm saying :geek: oh well though.... :violin:
NewShooterGirl
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws