Handgun in 40 S&W

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Handgun in 40 S&W

Post by Sarco » 21 Jan 2020, 7:14 pm

Noting that in Vic we can use greater than 38 to 45 in several matches, including Metallic Silhouette and a few others. I have been considering a 40 S&W

Has anyone had any success with getting a PTA for a 40 cal handgun.
I keep getting told that there have been none issued in Vic as it is a "police" calibre.

I am to the point of putting in a PTA and seeing what happens.

Sarco
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Handgun in 40 S&W

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jan 2020, 7:55 pm

Sarco wrote:Noting that in Vic we can use greater than 38 to 45 in several matches, including Metallic Silhouette and a few others. I have been considering a 40 S&W

Has anyone had any success with getting a PTA for a 40 cal handgun.
I keep getting told that there have been none issued in Vic as it is a "police" calibre.

I am to the point of putting in a PTA and seeing what happens.

Sarco

Can your dealer supply ammo?
I've never heard of it being illegal here, just a bit unusual I think.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 21 Jan 2020, 8:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Can your dealer supply ammo?
I've never heard of it being illegal here, just a bit unusual I think.

Well that is the issue, while it is not "illegal" and yes, I can buy ammunition, however that being said I have ready access to plenty of cases and, of course, projectiles are notionally readily available from a number of suppliers relatively locally, which is one of the reasons for the consideration as I would reload.

As stated earlier, I am inclined to just wack in a PTA and see what happens.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Jan 2020, 8:17 pm

I've seen the odd 40 S&W pistol advertised on a used gun site, so must be available but in Vic. not sure. Suggest ring WLB and have a chat?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by GojiraSteve » 21 Jan 2020, 9:04 pm

Question is, is it in any way competitve for the matches which would justify a PTA?
I'd say no, but if owning a .40 means that much to you or you're dedicated to becoming a metallic silhouette unicorn then more power to you.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 22 Jan 2020, 5:22 am

G'day Sarco,
One of the blokes in our club shoots a S&W M&P in 40 cal. They suit Field Pistol Metallic, Service Match, Combined Services, IPSC Classic and a few others. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 22 Jan 2020, 11:30 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Sarco,
One of the blokes in our club shoots a S&W M&P in 40 cal. They suit Field Pistol Metallic, Service Match, Combined Services, IPSC Classic and a few others. Cheers.

Thanks for that No1Mk3.
Not actually intending to use it for MS, as I have several far more suitable guns
I guess I will stick with the plan and see what happens. The S&W M&P with 5in barrel in 40 was what I was thinking about putting in for.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Kelvin Or » 07 Feb 2020, 1:25 am

I too am interested to know as I heard different stories from different people, please share your PTA result.
Kelvin Or
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 12 Mar 2020, 7:35 pm

Kelvin Or wrote:I too am interested to know as I heard different stories from different people, please share your PTA result.

Originally I wanted very specifically a competition ready, 1911 style firearm in 40S&W, with 6 mags, holster and mag holders. Disappointed as no longer available (Sig Sauer, Stainless Match Elite was what I was after). Only doing 9mm now.

Decided to go for an 2011 STI Edge in 40 S&W, (while they weren't who I was dealing with, Gunworld indicated available as back order) I wanted a steel gun not another plastic one (I already have a USP Expert in 45ACP and also a 9mm conversion for it, and a Glock17A in 9mm).

I have the PTA in my hot little hand, woohoo (10 Mar, issued 5 Mar, expires 3 Apr). Required before dealer (reasonably local agent) would even talk to me.

Then said bad luck not available. OK what else is? You will have to ring around and see what is available! Thanks mate - F@&^ Off!

Local dealer was very helpful but same importer obviously.

Importers say not available and never will be as no longer manufactured, so OK what about the 2020 Staccato XL - NO!
Even though I have absolutely no issue with waiting 4 - 6 months minimum (and happy enough with the required, no doubt, substantial deposit).

So getting further support to get a suitable 40cal gun is an issue.

So I guess that I am to the point that, I will let this PTA lapse, then see if I can get something else (perhaps the S&W as originally suggested, however I would much rather a steel gun).

Or just decide F@&^ It and get a 1911 in 45ACP and be done with it, though I would much rather 40S&W.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 13 Mar 2020, 12:07 am

40 S&W is kinda snappy as a shooter. It was all the rage in the USA for a while and then basically died as the law enforcement agencies abandoned it as 9mm loads began to equal it in performance and women can handle the recoil of 9mm better. These days the market is flooded with 40 S&W law enforcement trade in pistols, they can hardly give them away.

40 S&W is a cut down 10mm case. One thing you can look at is a 10mm gun and shooting lighter 10mm loads.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 13 Mar 2020, 2:37 am

you can shoot a lot more with the 9 then the 40 wanneroo is right lots of trade ins and the price is climbing on them if you hand load it would help
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by yoshie » 13 Mar 2020, 9:36 am

There are a few at my club, MS is the justification. Some hace 9mm and 357Sig barrels for IPSC.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Sarco » 16 Oct 2020, 8:28 pm

Sadly Wanneroo, no offence meant, but I am in Victoria, Australia, not the US of A. If I had the options open to me that are available in the USA, I wonder if I would actually bother with shooting handguns at all, other than perhaps a 9mm or 2 for personal defence and practice to use them.

Well things have progressed in relation to getting a 40 cal.

I now have in my possession a S&W M&P 5.0in in 40cal. Ordered in early May 20. Finally arrived in last 10 days or so.
Disassembled, cleaned and reassembled several times to become familiar with it.

Have ammo that I have reloaded for testing ready to go. Now just need to decided when to do testing. Get velocities and get and idea of where the sights are going (fixed - drift adjustable), plus accuracy at 50M.

Fortunately my local clubs are open for members only.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 16 Oct 2020, 11:07 pm

What do you think about the trigger on that M&P?

Everything is cyclical, so I imagine at some point in time 40 cal will be all the rage again. 10mm is back in style now with lots of different pistols being offered.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by linkoln » 17 Oct 2020, 7:26 pm

A guy at my club shoots .45 in the normal 25m target competition. No need to do metallic silhouette with the big rounds.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Sarco » 17 Oct 2020, 8:40 pm

Wanneroo, haven't actually got to fire it with bullets yet! Dry firing the trigger doesn't appear to be overly different to my H&K USP Expert (45ACP).

linkoln, rules vary from state to state on greater than 38cal. In Vic there are a number of valid matches that they may be used for, I am not sure that that is the case in other states.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 18 Oct 2020, 7:44 pm

Sarco wrote:Wanneroo, haven't actually got to fire it with bullets yet! Dry firing the trigger doesn't appear to be overly different to my H&K USP Expert (45ACP).

linkoln, rules vary from state to state on greater than 38cal. In Vic there are a number of valid matches that they may be used for, I am not sure that that is the case in other states.

Who would think that the most left wing state in Australia has some of the most liberal gun laws.
I've wanted a USP expert for the last 25 years I'm in the process of getting my full licence so hopefully next year I will finally get one.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Sarco » 18 Oct 2020, 8:39 pm

Linkoln,
PM sent, hopefully not multiple times.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 18 Oct 2020, 11:57 pm

Sarco wrote:Wanneroo, haven't actually got to fire it with bullets yet! Dry firing the trigger doesn't appear to be overly different to my H&K USP Expert (45ACP).

I think they improved the trigger on the Gen 2, which if you bought the gun new and recently, it's a Gen 2. The first M&P 40s had this horrible trigger with tons of squish and a terrible reset. Most serious shooters ended up dropping aftermarket triggers in them, particularly from a company called Apex.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bugman » 19 Oct 2020, 11:04 am

NSW Plods have apparently gone over to 9mm. I think one or two guys in the club I belong to, were looking for 40cal but with no luck. I think possibly 40cal is a bit "old hat" compared to what is now out there.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 19 Oct 2020, 11:28 am

Bugman wrote:NSW Plods have apparently gone over to 9mm. I think one or two guys in the club I belong to, were looking for 40cal but with no luck. I think possibly 40cal is a bit "old hat" compared to what is now out there.

I know here in the USA it came down to powders and 147g bullets being able to get close to 40 cal terminal performance, plus women cops were having a hard time qualifying with 40 cal with it's snappier recoil than 9mm.

Police surplus pistols in 40 cal have flooded the US market and M&P 40s can be had for $239, Sigs for $300-$450, Glocks for $300. It's amazing how fast the market turned on 40 and dumped it. Now it's not even talked about.

In the end I wouldn't get too caught up in what the sheep do and if you enjoy 40, go for it. It shares bullets with 10mm so it can easily be reloaded for and as long as I can reload for whatever cartridge it is at a reasonable price, I really don't care what the market does.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Sarco » 25 Oct 2020, 9:56 pm

Wanneroo, I have now finally got to shoot the M&P. Loads 180gn Flat point bevel base cast lead with a variety of powder types and loads (ADI powders because they are readily available in Aus).

While the trigger, IMHO, has a fair bit of travel, it breaks nice and crisply but with a bit more weight on it than I would prefer.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 26 Oct 2020, 8:11 am

Sarco wrote:Wanneroo, I have now finally got to shoot the M&P. Loads 180gn Flat point bevel base cast lead with a variety of powder types and loads (ADI powders because they are readily available in Aus).

While the trigger, IMHO, has a fair bit of travel, it breaks nice and crisply but with a bit more weight on it than I would prefer.

Everyone that buys the M&P seems to replace the trigger with aftermarket parts.

Glad you got it up and running.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Victorian gun laws