Multiple A/B Safes In Different Places On The Same Property

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Multiple A/B Safes In Different Places On The Same Property

Post by Crazy » 20 Feb 2020, 5:28 pm

Hi all I've been wanting to install another safe in my house do i run into problems if its installed in a different location but on the same property as the first one? Cheers. :D
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Multiple A/B Safes In Different Places On The Same Prope

Post by sungazer » 20 Feb 2020, 5:35 pm

No problems as long as it is not easily accessible to just anyone visiting or passing by. Dont keep the keys in the same room as any safe.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Feb 2020, 5:47 pm

G'day Crazy,
sungazer has it to a "T", out of sight from the street or front door, no probs. Any room in the house, garage or lockable shed is acceptable, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 20 Feb 2020, 6:30 pm

Not sure if your laws are like ours...but id guess they are...in which case, you will want to be sure that the method of security is clear if they come under a different category...
For example, if one safe is attached to building, & the other safe is 150 plus KG's. and both of those come under a different category, then be sure & tick both category's, &/or notify the relevant authority that you now have 2 different methods of securing firearms.

Having said that, it is only an example, i cannot be sure of the different categories at the moment without looking them up...which im not going to do... :)

Not sure if being clear or not... :unknown:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 20 Feb 2020, 7:25 pm

Perhaps they are different State Laws. Certainly in Victoria Cat A and B are the same requirements as far as Safes go. In the Act and Regs it is specified much lower standard than any inspector would ever ask for. The different laws in each State do make it difficult for travelers. Especially the travel requirements.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 20 Feb 2020, 8:36 pm

Sungazer, i meant more a difference of the category of storage...not of the firearm... :)

For example...if you have cctv on the house where the first safe is stored, & that is what they (the authorities) know & believe your firearms to be stored under, but you put another safe in the shed that is not covered by the cctv, they may get upset come inspection...particularly if youve moved a firearm from the cctv to the shed storage, when on the initial PTA you stated the storage for that firearm is under cctv---all being for this example, while you are not required by law to have cctv for the amount of firearms you have.

That is probably a better example of what i mean, rather than the bolted down/150kg plus safe example i used before....i get me anyway...sorry if im unclear... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Victorian gun laws