Can firearms be confiscated if l report Corona lockdown

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Can firearms be confiscated if l report Corona lockdown

Post by Geeetrain » 02 Apr 2020, 9:01 am

In too minds what too do
We all in lockdown here in Victoria
I have hosted rooms to overseas students since 2004 never had any issues
I had a Thai girl move in and she cant pay rent no biggie l not really worried as no students in Aust anyway so my partner told her chill just stay here...pay what you can

Well the issue is she is very head strong and keeps going out either to hang with her friends in city or to work illegally in massage parlour lm not sure which she claim she has job sanding and painting a boat wont say where and has long perfect painted finger nails so sounds like bulldust to us.

I'm not into being a dog but she is putting the other overseas girl here my 2 daughters my partners and my health at risk as she catching trains everyday

Should l ring the police assistance line and make a report and if l do will the police see this as a domestic dispute and confiscate all my firearms for 28 days
Anyone know if l might risk losing my rifes if l report her
Geeetrain
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Can firearms be confiscated if l report Corona lockdown

Post by bigrich » 02 Apr 2020, 9:11 am

If it was me I would tell her to f**k off , she’s endangering other people for her own gain. A firearms owner is supposed to be a fit and proper person, I would ring the fuzz
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 02 Apr 2020, 9:13 am

Sounds like she doesn't have any lease and isn't really paying, so I'd put her stuff on the curb and change the locks.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Geeetrain » 02 Apr 2020, 9:22 am

Sadly she a 18 year old kid stuck in Aust so hard to do it...and if it erupted into her having a meltdown on my veranda that would count as a,domestic and then l think would lose my firearms for 28 days

No she has no lease we let her move in as an act of kindness
Geeetrain
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Apr 2020, 9:23 am

I would tend to agree, if you haven't, then discussed with her that her actions are endangering your families life. If she stool chooses to ignore then kick her out, and change your locks
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Geeetrain » 02 Apr 2020, 9:39 am

My partner did that on Monday night both in English and Laos..... she sulked yesterday in her room stayed home
But she snuck out again out this morning ....

We explained on Monday night we must all stay at home or we will all be locked down for 6 months with a risk of a death toll in the 10000s
My partner also warned her she would get her spoken to by the police if she not all obey lockdown
Clearly this not worked

Back on topic any police out there or legal experts or anyone had similar experience will they treat this as a domestic and impound my firearms for 28 days there has only been discussion.... l have never been involved in any domestic stuff or disputes law abiding citizen ... but one of my mates had a crazy lady with metal health issues argue with him total stranger and to cover his ass reported to police as he had recorded it and had cameras on his house. ...outcome was lost firearms 28 days got them back ok.... it's just a safety measure
Why I'm worried if l ring the assistance line same will happen to me
Geeetrain
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Geeetrain » 02 Apr 2020, 9:41 am

Then that's,on my permant record under domestic dispute and may impact on future licence renewal
Geeetrain
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Apr 2020, 9:55 am

Hmm get rifle socks, take the scopes off. And then ring the cops. But tbh as under stage 4 restrictions she is allowed to leave the house to work.

In a previous thread about this i thought it was among family members that the 28 days confiscation was done. And not in VIC. The question i would be asking is, seeing we currently cannot shoot anyway, is the health of your family more important than losing your rifles for 28 days. I don't think the police will come take her away though due to reason above.

Now a couple more things, if she is on a student visa, she shouldn't be working more than 20hrs, you can dob her into immigration if you can be reasonably sure she is working extra. Also if you have reasonable proof that she is not maintaining social distancing you can probably dob her in and get her fined.

Now you do run the risk that if she is classed as a sub let/tennant of your property and if that then under law she has rights and one of them is that she cannot be evicted at the moment.

So if your wife is laos and she is as well..i think the wife needs to throw a laos style hissyfit and kick her out... hopefully the girl doesn't know her rights.

Finally mate i am not a lawyer or police so i would recommend that you be careful taking advice from random people on internet forums.

Edit: if you stay out and your wife does it then it may not impact your record.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 02 Apr 2020, 10:00 am

So she's working at a rub n tug? Giving blowies Or full blown hooking? Cos either way she could be risking your health even without a pandemic.

Be a man and tell her to move on, she's bound to have a house or live in knock shop she can stay at and work on her back.

Probably being a bit harsh, but from ya comments it sounds like you're trying to politely say she's hooking so yeah... Duty of care to the rest mate tell her that she needs to move.
Last edited by Ziege on 02 Apr 2020, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 02 Apr 2020, 10:05 am

Geeetrain wrote:Sadly she a 18 year old kid stuck in Aust so hard to do it...and if it erupted into her having a meltdown on my veranda that would count as a,domestic and then l think would lose my firearms for 28 days

No she has no lease we let her move in as an act of kindness

Are you sleeping with her or romantically involved? Are you related?

If the answer is no and your other home occupants aren't going to back her side of such an event then you're fine, the police will simply take statements from all stakeholders in the home and make a decision based on that, if it's a simple case of her not obeying lockdowns, and risking health of others I'm sure you'll be fine
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 10:43 am

As per Z - caution is warranted taking advice from here. Tough situation though.
Family health is paramount - forearms are just steel sticks...
In Tas its legal to loan a firearm to someone who has the same cat licence. Could you “lend” your guns to a friend, ring police and say - I just need someone to promote the seriousness here, then if they DO flip and say it’s a DV situation, you don’t have any firearms on premises anyway? Just food for thought - they may want to confiscate all “reg” firearms regardless, I’m not sure....either way - HEALTH first.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by wanneroo » 02 Apr 2020, 11:21 am

Why don't you simply consult a lawyer for legal advice? The $150-$300 might be worth it.

Personally the way I run things with people is with well defined boundaries. Nobody is casually moving in here and I simply do not put myself in a place where I am getting involved in people's relationships, finances, jobs, friends, etc. Just having some random 18 year old girl from some other country hang out at your house as a flop pad while she is out yanking the wankie, just sounds like a big ass train wreck.

On your part you have no legal obligation to her, but you seem to think you do. She's bunking there rent free or nearly so, isn't really adding anything to your household it seems, putting you at potential risk and I'm not seeing what the upside is for you.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Geeetrain » 02 Apr 2020, 11:52 am

Thanks input...no not involved its homestay...
Geeetrain
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 02 Apr 2020, 1:48 pm

wait till she goes out and change the locks then call police about someone trying to break in. Then shes their problem nothing domestic about an intruder.

Just make sure to dispose of all evidence she ever stayed first.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 03 Apr 2020, 4:01 pm

Farmerpete wrote:wait till she goes out and change the locks then call police about someone trying to break in. Then shes their problem nothing domestic about an intruder.

Just make sure to dispose of all evidence she ever stayed first.

And make false statements from the police, get charged, lose your firearms permanently and get to apply again in 5 years..

There are a couple of words in the "Law Abiding Firearms Owners" that seem to escape some people.

Letting your wife contact the police for advise would seem to be reasonable, you need to stay out of this to the extent that you can except if questioned as a witness. Otherwise, you should probably just follow the best isolation procedures that you can, treat her as infected and make the best of the situation.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Apr 2020, 5:30 pm

Temporarily give your firearms to a mate to store. (May need to advise lic department)

Then kick her out. Would that help?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 03 Apr 2020, 5:55 pm

My above comment was meant as a joke

I can relate to the op had to kick in laws out for the same reason. I'm in the doghouse but at least my kids are safe.

Maybe a phone call to the local station Sgt discussing your concerns about her work may result in a friendly chat at least or an arrest if she's working illegally
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 03 Apr 2020, 6:25 pm

At the end of the day the question your facing is:
Am I willing to lose my guns to protect my family?
While I realise it a crap question it's the one your faced with
She may just leave if asked politely and it may not turn into a domestic especially if police are present at time of asking.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 03 Apr 2020, 11:14 pm

Good point ask police To attend to prevent a "breach of the peace"

If she makes a scene they will see first hand
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 04 Apr 2020, 1:50 am

I thought domestic violence was only between family members and since she's not family then can't be classified as such. I would ask her to move on or risk being in breach of her visa conditions and subject to detention and deportation.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 04 Apr 2020, 10:37 am

Have some one follow he to work find out where shes working for sure if it a knocking shop report her to immigration as shes a student she will be gone real quick,
if you do not wish to do that just let her hear you telling your wife that your going to do just that .
I bet she will suddenly find lodgings close to work realy quick
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Apr 2020, 2:12 pm

Homestay, isn't that organised through a school, collage, Uni. etc? Then take it up with them.

Homestay around here is organised far, far different to your statements re "rent" etc.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 09 Apr 2020, 3:18 am

I'm in WA but I'd be wary of accepting that the "18 year old" Thai girl is actually 18 years old. She may be younger or older. Have you seen her passport?

In any case she is putting your family at risk and she needs to stay home or move out. I would not have her at my home endangering my family.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by John » 09 Apr 2020, 11:44 am

Head strong ignorance from visitors to this country should not be tolerated at all and is the main reason that certain group has been singled out for spreading this virus in parts of city’s in this country that’s fact from the prime minister stated a week ago on one of his tv updates.

Cover ass and Retain firearms and ring the virus hotline seek there assistance so at least there’s a paper trail of you trying to do the right thing if she contracts it what’s the first thing there going to happen she’s going to infect your family not worth the risk
Do the right thing for your self and your families safety and report it and get some advice and help and help removing her is your best and safest bet
Because as soon as you mention massage parlour and Thai student certain places spring to mind if she’s avoiding telling you the where’s and what’s she’s doing
But really in all of this you need to think of your own family and there safety especially if you and your family are doing the right thing and staying at home unless heading out for food work medical care and work if that’s the case your her landlord you have the right to lay the law down and if she don’t like it the door will hit you on the way out for sure
Just my thoughts in this time of uncertainty in no way meant to offend anyone that’s not my intention we all as a hole need to do the right thing to get through it with the least amount of deaths as possible
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 Apr 2020, 2:33 pm

It's the original poster still on this forum? Can he please give us an update
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 09 Apr 2020, 4:53 pm

+1 Z

Interested to hear if all got sorted properly
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Apr 2020, 11:09 am

" Nothing to see here, so please move along, Thank you".
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Apr 2020, 3:40 pm

:sarcasm: He’s been locked up for dv. Apparently the wife rang the cops after finding the young Lady and her hubby...no, not funny...stop the rumours.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Victorian gun laws