How many for a security alarm?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

How many for a security alarm?

Post by Shootermick » 25 Apr 2020, 5:22 pm

In the Victorian regulations it states that more than 15 guns stored on your premises and you need an alarm system. So to me that would mean 16 plus. But a dealer told me last week that if you have 15 you need an alarm. Anyone know which is correct?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: How many for a security alarm?

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 25 Apr 2020, 5:34 pm

It's 16x plus

In the legislation it says:
"The premises must be fitted with an intruder alarm system if more than 15 firearms are stored on the premises"
Last edited by TheFirearmEnthusiast on 25 Apr 2020, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 25 Apr 2020, 5:34 pm

15 really? QLD is 30.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Apr 2020, 5:46 pm

10 in Tas - video cams on safe, remote access to cams is ok and costs stuff all of home networked. But can use light or siren - something to deter break in...
We are only allowed 14 A/B/C and D firearms in total (not sure if H is also invluded$ before serious questions are asked for 15th PTA.
Last edited by TassieTiger on 26 Apr 2020, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Shootermick » 25 Apr 2020, 5:57 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:It's 16x plus

In the legislation it says:
"The premises must be fitted with an intruder alarm system if more than 15 firearms are stored on the premises"

That’s how I read it too. Also conflicting requirements on safes for cat c. I’ve got a cat a/b safe with a 6mm door, but I think it would meet Victorian cat c regulations with a 6mm min door thickness.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by womble » 25 Apr 2020, 6:17 pm

Seriously who cares.
If you own just one why don’t you have security already.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 25 Apr 2020, 6:28 pm

womble wrote:Seriously who cares.
If you own just one why don’t you have security already.

Serious? Because it is a waste of money not to mention useless if you live rurally.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Apr 2020, 6:32 pm

What fukin shets me is people giving shet advice. Rule one, if your not 100% certain keep your big mouth shut or say yr not certain. Fukin shets me big time.

People get fuked around by "experts" all the time.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 25 Apr 2020, 6:39 pm

Oldbloke wrote:What fukin shets me is people giving shet advice. Rule one, if your not 100% certain keep your big mouth shut or say yr not certain. Fukin shets me big time.

People get fuked around by "experts" all the time.

I am a firm believer in going directly to the source. I printed off the weapons act, weapons regulation and police responsibilities act and have self taught myself by memorising what they entail. Every bit of info one needs is in their state firearm act.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Apr 2020, 7:19 pm

I had my first inspection when I had thirteen I think, then I had another inspection when I bought my sixteenth to check my security.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 25 Apr 2020, 7:58 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:15 really? QLD is 30.

Really? Never had to have a security alarm when I had 30 + firemans on my licence.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Apr 2020, 8:31 pm

I know a few people all with 15 firearms and the only reason they haven't gone 16th is cuz they need a security system. This is in vic. Atleast one and possibly two of them have had inspections this year.

So definitely you need a security system once you get your 16th firearm.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 25 Apr 2020, 8:56 pm

trekin wrote:Really? Never had to have a security alarm when I had 30 + firemans on my licence.

Yes sorry I just checked the weapons reg again and it states that if you have more than 30 to follow part 20 which is for collectors. And that states you must use a vault, storeroom or container and the container is just the usual bolt down if less than 150kg or D,H,R firearms.

So in essence it is the exact same and has no limit to the amount you can own.
Its so stupid it says you can use a gun rack if you have more than 30 firearms then it says you can only have 10 max firearms in a rack.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Apr 2020, 9:51 pm

Sergeant Hartman wrote:I know a few people all with 15 firearms and the only reason they haven't gone 16th is cuz they need a security system. This is in vic. Atleast one and possibly two of them have had inspections this year.

So definitely you need a security system once you get your 16th firearm.

Explain to them that the security requirement is only a few hundred dollars for compliance, it's nothing special. A flashing light and a siren.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Apr 2020, 10:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Explain to them that the security requirement is only a few hundred dollars for compliance, it's nothing special. A flashing light and a siren.

Correct. Doest need to be hard wired. I know someone with one. Just a basic system.

Maybe ask the local cop
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 25 Apr 2020, 11:00 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:I am a firm believer in going directly to the source. I printed off the weapons act, weapons regulation and police responsibilities act and have self taught myself by memorising what they entail. Every bit of info one needs is in their state firearm act.

Don't see the point of printing them out if QLD is like Vic.

In Vic, the Act alone has already been amended twice this year and typically 3 or more times a year since 2011. I dare say the Regs are probably similar, though generally they are not amended as frequently as the Act.

It is true to say that for the most part these amendments are relatively minor.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Apr 2020, 11:17 pm

You cant assume they are the same. Nearly the same is not identical. You MUST have the correct state.

Just keep soft copies of act and regs. I havent printed an act or any regs for years.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 26 Apr 2020, 12:38 am

G'day Shootermick,
As others have pointed out you are correct in believing an alarm is not needed until you pass 15 firearms, just remember that is total, so if your Mrs has guns it includes hers too. As for Cat C safe, the only difference between A/B and C is it can't be hardwood but must be steel "not easily penetrable". No such thing as minimum door thickness under the Act. The current Act, Version 95, is downloadable in pdf or word from the Govt website and is worth having to read for yourself, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 26 Apr 2020, 5:16 am

Serious? Because it is a waste of money not to mention useless if you live rurally.

Good point. Sorry i was blunt. Even if you live in a major city nobody pays much attention to alarms going of.
Once again a good example of firearms legislation not keeping up with the times.

Personally i think security should be ones own initiative. Do you need mr policeman to tell you what you need.
Camera systems don’t cost a much now. Hardware stores sell them. You get an app on your phone and you can view any camera you want, replay footage save it whatever from anywhere you are.
Surveillance is a far better measure than an alarm, plus it has other useful applications.
I’m not suggesting it as an alternative to an alarm, but just one tool in a box of many security measures you can implement.

I went to a wedding on a fairly remote property last year. The house was of course open to everyone. The gun safe was massive, but i don’t feel it needed to be in plain view. I mean there was a lot of young people there. And i don’t much like young people haha.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Apr 2020, 10:23 am

Does two 60kg Akita dogs count as surveillance lol ? It bloody should...almost everyone around Is have been broken in to...except us. Hang on...that makes me a sus...err...bye.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 26 Apr 2020, 12:29 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Does two 60kg Akita dogs count as surveillance lol ? It bloody should...almost everyone around Is have been broken in to...except us. Hang on...that makes me a sus...err...bye.

My neighbour in Perth had two rottweilers, very well trained and not at all aggressive when they didn't need to be. One morning he woke up and couldn't find them. Turned out they had spend most of the night in the garage keeping a very close eye on the moron who had broken in during the night - they never made a sound, and he never moved a muscle, for several hours :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 26 Apr 2020, 2:17 pm

The interesting thing about alarms, according some copper mates, is that when one goes off, most people regard them as a nuisance and they really don't want to get involved, by having to give a statement to the coppers, don't want to go to court to give evidence, mainly because of the fear of repercussions etc. So what is the point of having an alarm.
Security cameras, probably more beneficial as the coppers can view the data and make up their own minds. Yes, I have high end cameras installed but were put in for another reason.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 26 Apr 2020, 2:37 pm

You are right about that bugman. I don't want to know what my neighbour is doing and I hope he does not want to know what I am doing. I don't dog on people so I purposely never see anything.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 26 Apr 2020, 3:32 pm

My take on Alarms are unless they are monitored by an off site company they are not worth diddlysquat.
My alarm company will ring me then if not available ring local police with firearms notification on premises I dont need one in NSW but I think I should have one cost $1.25 a day monitored . $458 a year
24/7 video stored in the cloud not onsite
Good thing about it I can check condition If I think i have forgot to turn on from any where so long as I have mobile coverage
sort of like I am buying peace of mind
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Victorian gun laws