How long until PTA's resume?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

How long until PTA's resume?

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 30 Apr 2020, 8:52 pm

Obviously I know that nobody here calls the shots for Vic Police
Obviously I know that nobody here calls the shots for state and/or federal government etc

But how long do you guys reckon it'll be until Victoria Police start processing/issuing PTA's again?

I reckon it'll be 2x months max
(Since we seem to have contained Covid 19 very well here in VIC)

What do you guys reckon?
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: How long until PTA's resume?

Post by AussieCapitalist » 30 Apr 2020, 9:57 pm

"nobody here calls the shots for state and/or federal government"

You sure you want to stick with that term mate? Pretty sure with our electoral based system the voter and their action or lack off does "call the shots".
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 30 Apr 2020, 9:59 pm

Yes I'm sure

Regardless of what the shooting community may want or desire

At the end of the day

It's the State Government/Victoria Police that have the absolute final say.

Especially right now, since Victoria is still officially in a "state of emergency".
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 30 Apr 2020, 10:07 pm

I don't believe that mate. I cant live with a defeatist attitude. The final say comes down to an election and the will of the people. If enough people wanted the shops open then they would be open. The problem is lack of community want and willpower to fight back and show their disapproval(politically speaking).

Just like how the homosexual community rallied support to legalise homosexuality and then years later marriage. They had the support of a large section of society to make the change happen.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 30 Apr 2020, 10:15 pm

Er
I don't really wanna get into the politics of it all
And I agree with you for the most part
But the truth is;
We don't have a mainstream political party that is pro-gun rights
Which makes life harder in Australia for the Australian shooter
It's harder for shooters to have a say when both mainstream political parties are not pro-guns
That's essentially what I meant ^

But anyway
This topic is about when the PTA's will resume in VIC
(What people's guesses are)
Let's stick to that
:thumbsup:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 30 Apr 2020, 11:28 pm

Derailed, has anyone an idea what the criteria is for them legally barring gun stores and the likes and also for them denying PTA/license applications? Surely it requires a set of criteria to be properly met before they can enforce such garbage?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Noisydad » 01 May 2020, 7:35 am

Ziege wrote:Derailed, has anyone an idea what the criteria is for them legally barring gun stores and the likes and also for them denying PTA/license applications? Surely it requires a set of criteria to be properly met before they can enforce such garbage?

Their criteria was that an opportunity presented itself and they grabbed it.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 01 May 2020, 9:08 am

^ exactly. And they know full well a legal challenge will take time...and their defence will be that we were in unprecedented times.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by dpskipper » 01 May 2020, 12:36 pm

Considering Daniel Andrews is very adamant that unlike QLD, VIC will be staying in stage 3 for at least a few weeks longer, I can't see gun shops re-opening soon. Maybe until we back down our restrictions to gatherings of 500 people like we where a month ago when we first started ramping up the lockdown.

I feel that the govenment will wait to the absolute last minute to keep the PTAs and ammo purchased shutdown for recreational guys. The occupational people (thanks to lobbying) have access to the items they need to work, and the state government is happy with that. However they very much dislike that there are ANY recreational shooters who shoot as a hobby, and it probably pleases them greatly that all of us can't get PTAs or buy ammo. They will wait until the state of emergency expires before they allow PTAs again.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ozzielee303 » 01 May 2020, 1:44 pm

dpskipper wrote:Considering Daniel Andrews is very adamant that unlike QLD, VIC will be staying in stage 3 for at least a few weeks longer, I can't see gun shops re-opening soon. Maybe until we back down our restrictions to gatherings of 500 people like we where a month ago when we first started ramping up the lockdown.

I feel that the govenment will wait to the absolute last minute to keep the PTAs and ammo purchased shutdown for recreational guys. The occupational people (thanks to lobbying) have access to the items they need to work, and the state government is happy with that. However they very much dislike that there are ANY recreational shooters who shoot as a hobby, and it probably pleases them greatly that all of us can't get PTAs or buy ammo. They will wait until the state of emergency expires before they allow PTAs again.

dpskipper
I agree with your comments here,spot on and who knows Dan the Man might drag the chain on letting us get PTA's and Ammunition for a bit longer than is required,I would not put it past him,hope not,for I have a rifle waiting for pick up. :unknown:
Cheers
ozzielee303
"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 01 May 2020, 5:54 pm

Mm
This is very frustrating

I read on the news this morning that the Northern Territory hasn’t recorded any covid cases for over 3x weeks now. And so as a result, the Northern Territory is now allowing fishing, camping and non contact sports again.

Technically speaking, target shooting at the range would qualify as a “non contact sport”

So if the government is willing to allow non contact sports
Logic tells me that they would allow recreational target shooting at the range to resume as well
(Since recreational target shooting is a non contact sport)
And with shooting ranges opening up again, I reckon then PTA’s wouldn’t take long to resume after that
As it would be kind of silly to have shooting ranges open if you can't apply for a PTA

Maybe once they allow “non contact sports” to happen again in Victoria, maybe that’s when we’ll be good to go with our PTA’s again

That's what I hope for anyway
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 01 May 2020, 6:56 pm

Non contact sports allowed again = Recreational target shooting allowed again
Recreational target shooting allowed again = Shooting ranges open again
Shooting rangers open again = PTA’s allowed again

Hopefully that's the logic that Victoria Police will use ^
Then we'll be right lol
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 01 May 2020, 8:15 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:Non contact sports allowed again = Recreational target shooting allowed again
Recreational target shooting allowed again = Shooting ranges open again
Shooting rangers open again = PTA’s allowed again

Hopefully that's the logic that Victoria Police will use ^
Then we'll be right lol

That makes logical sense - however the VicPol website speaks specifically that they will not process until the pandemic is over....... I hope YOU are right Enthuiast.

And in addition, they will probably be opening "non-essential" retail soon... so if they dont open up the sale of ammunition and firearms... well that's opening a whole new can of worms.
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 02 May 2020, 8:24 am

I just heard on the news that Daniel Andrews will decided on May 11th or 12th whether or not Victoria will remain under a "state of emergency".

The only real legal backing/excuse that Victoria Police had to ban PTA's was due to the fact that we were under a "state of emergency".

Once the state of emergency is lifted
I reckon it wouldn't be too long after that that PTA's will resume again.

Based on the situation right now
I reckon it'll be around a month until PTA's resume again..
That's what my guess is as of now..
*crossed fingers*

Let me know what you guys think
:thumbsup:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 02 May 2020, 9:33 am

From minister tiger - Due to the fact vic police have not been able to undertake nominal police activities (including raiding revenue), it is with great regret that I advise enough gun forum members that quantitatively speaking, the state requires all associated Police staff to now man all nominal mandatory services until the back log of administrative process induced documentation, is realised - as a result, those non essential services such as PTA’s and firearm services will be placed on hold indefinitely with a review likely in 2024. ISSAA have been advised and support this decision and as a result will be eligible for a one off special govt grant. I apologise for any inconvenience but the safety of the state must come first.
Min Tiger.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by ozzielee303 » 02 May 2020, 9:46 am

TassieTiger wrote:From minister tiger - Due to the fact vic police have not been able to undertake nominal police activities (including raiding revenue), it is with great regret that I advise enough gun forum members that quantitatively speaking, the state requires all associated Police staff to now man all nominal mandatory services until the back log of administrative process induced documentation, is realised - as a result, those non essential services such as PTA’s and firearm services will be placed on hold indefinitely with a review likely in 2024. ISSAA have been advised and support this decision and as a result will be eligible for a one off special govt grant. I apologise for any inconvenience but the safety of the state must come first.
Min Tiger.

:shock: Bugger me,I felt my heart ripping out of my chest with that post,who knows with Chairman Dan :o :o
Cheers
ozzielee303
"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 02 May 2020, 10:04 am

So we're not gonna see PTA's resume until 2024?

That definitely doesn't sound like correct information lol
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 02 May 2020, 10:05 am

I tried to edit that post to clarify it as a joke (With maybe a little sarcasm built in) - but for some reason it says I’m not allowed to - I suspect a certain person has reported that post as well (sigh)....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 02 May 2020, 10:08 am

Ah
Phewwww
I thought you were being serious
You got my heart racing TassieTiger haha

Nah
Enough gun has changed their policies now
They made it harder to edit posts now I think
I can't edit my posts either
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 02 May 2020, 2:46 pm

PTA's are not being resumed until after the covid emergency is finished, not state emergency.
That could be considerably longer than the state of emergency.

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/firearms-industry-news

There will be a suspension of all firearm transactions including the sale, hire and loan of firearms and ammunition for the reasons of Sport or Target Shooting, Clay Target Shooting and Recreational hunting.

This suspension, effective immediately, will remain for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency.

Those with a genuine need for access to ammunition and firearms for a clear occupational requirement, will be able to continue to access firearms and ammunition for these purposes.

We understand this change has evolved suddenly, however, we would appreciate your cooperation and continued support during these uncertain times.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 02 May 2020, 3:10 pm

Until we see some real progress in the courts from the legal challenge that NSC is mounting, expect VicPol to be reluctant to resume PTA's until every last excuse has been exhausted.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ozzielee303 » 02 May 2020, 3:21 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:PTA's are not being resumed until after the covid emergency is finished, not state emergency.

There will be a suspension of all firearm transactions including the sale, hire and loan of firearms and ammunition for the reasons of Sport or Target Shooting, Clay Target Shooting and Recreational hunting.

This suspension, effective immediately, will remain for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency.

Those with a genuine need for access to ammunition and firearms for a clear occupational requirement, will be able to continue to access firearms and ammunition for these purposes.

We understand this change has evolved suddenly, however, we would appreciate your cooperation and continued support during these uncertain times.

Ohhh,Crap,am I allowed to say that :unknown: bugger me,ohhh crap,I do not like the smell of this,yet they will let contact sports resume,they are negotiating it it now! :thumbsdown:
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 02 May 2020, 7:18 pm

At the VERY least, the allowance of ammunition sales when activities open would be appreciated...
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 May 2020, 7:38 pm

Aliqua wrote:At the VERY least, the allowance of ammunition sales when activities open would be appreciated...

It's only been a couple months, do you keep any ammo on hand at all?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 02 May 2020, 8:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:It's only been a couple months, do you keep any ammo on hand at all?

You should consider yourself lucky to be allowed to keep any at all. After this 'stockpiling' crazyness, I'd bet 10 bucks the gov will start tracking ammo purchased like they used to in California.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 02 May 2020, 8:42 pm

Yes I have enough
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 02 May 2020, 8:59 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:PTA's are not being resumed until after the covid emergency is finished, not state emergency.

State Emergency = Covid Emergency

They're both the same thing.
They both mean the same thing.
(For Victoria anyway)

Once the state of emergency is repealed in Victoria.
I reckon PTA's will resume probably a month after.

Like I said;
Victoria being in a "state of emergency"
That was the only excuse/legal justification that Victoria Police had to ban PTA's.

Victoria being in a "state of emergency" is what granted Victoria Police all sorts of powers, including the justification (in their eyes) to ban PTA's.

Once the state of emergency is repealed.
It would make no sense to still have the PTA's banned, if the emergency is gone lol
There would be no logic/no legal justification for it.

I'm optimistic that within a month PTA's will resume.

That's what my logic tells me and what I hope for anyway...

- crossed fingers -
Last edited by TheFirearmEnthusiast on 02 May 2020, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 02 May 2020, 9:42 pm

Hopefully these lawsuits put the police back In their box and they realise what they have done was unlawful. People hate bullies and that is all they have done. Same thing happened in Qld with 338lapua PTA. The police thought they could make their own rules and deny them like a bunch of tyrants, but the courts told them that is not the case and police are not legislators.

You guys in Vic have to wait over 2 years till your next election. I hope you and your kin remember what has occurred come November 2022 and you turn out in mass to voice your distain. Qld only has to wait to October. I cant wait to tell labor what I think of them.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dpskipper » 02 May 2020, 9:51 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:I cant wait to tell labor what I think of them.

As long as you don't vote liberal...
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 02 May 2020, 9:54 pm

dpskipper wrote:
As long as you don't vote liberal...

I would rather be gang raped in a prison shower than vote for liberal. At least I could respect myself in the morning.
I think about a former liberal PM when I try to take a dump after eating Indian food.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws