How long until PTA's resume?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: How long until PTA's resume?

Post by Aliqua » 09 May 2020, 8:19 pm

From a non contact point yea, from a 10 person limit they would have to restrict entry to 10 people at a time I believe. The ssaa down here I believe has 100 benches?? So that is 10% capacity.. how they would overcome this issue I'm not sure...
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 09 May 2020, 8:36 pm

According to the federal government;
Phase 1 would allow a gathering of up to 10x people outdoors.

Which means that at a shooting range
There would have to be:
9x shooters
1x range officer
And that's it.
(Whilst observing the 1.5metre rule)

So 9x shooters at a time, per shooting range.

It sounds like that would be 100% permitted under Phase 1 ^

I think the shooting ranges will need to come up with a booking system of some sort
This way they can 100% monitor and guarantee that the amount of people using the range wouldn't exceed 9x people at a time.

Ugh
Life was so good before
We didn't have to worry about any of this before lol
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 11 May 2020, 12:05 pm

For anyone who hasn't heard
"for outside activities such as hiking, fishing, going for a walk or kicking a footy no more than 10 people may take part."
My range only has 11 benches so there is no reason it can't be reopened except for political reasons.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 11 May 2020, 2:37 pm

linkoln wrote:For anyone who hasn't heard
"for outside activities such as hiking, fishing, going for a walk or kicking a footy no more than 10 people may take part."
My range only has 11 benches so there is no reason it can't be reopened except for political reasons.

I was thinking the same thing ^
Shooting ranges should be allowed to re-open.
100%.
Unless if we're gonna be deliberately politically discriminated against lol

We'll have to wait and see again I guess..

But at least we're definitely 1x step closer to being liberated
(Regarding PTA's, hunting and target shooting)

We're so close now, c'mon lol
:drinks:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 11 May 2020, 3:31 pm

What's really not clear is how that 'group' of 10 is defined and at what point one group ends and another starts.
Clearly in a park, on a beach or other open space multiple groups can be there and they are generally easy to identify.
In a shopping center, hundreds of people are so close together that there's no way to identify groups and that's apparently OK.

But for shooting at the range most people will be there alone or with one family member, that's a group of 2, others that are not with you and not near you cannot possibly be considered part of the same group and yet, somehow they are because we have idiots in government.

Ranges could reasonably define only every other bench available for use and maybe a maximum of two people per bench but fear of government response because it's 'gun' related means the police will virtually have to knock on the door and demand that they open before they do.
I'm not expecting them open anytime soon.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Aliqua » 11 May 2020, 6:47 pm

I like your thinking rc, but if I was to guess I would think that while a golf course could have "a group of 10 at each hole" I dont know how a range would be defined. A boot camp could have 1 instructor and 3 different groups of 10 - but I think they would catch on and say they were 20 over... thus a range -- like eagle park with soooo many benches could they open them all up and say each bench is a group or the entire business premises is a group thus limiting it to 9 + range manager.

It's a tough one... and these are questions groups like SSAA will be asking for clarification and updating its members/website in the not to distant future.

On a side note seems like hunting is open as state parks are open - just no overnight camping anywhere...
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 11 May 2020, 7:12 pm

I missed the news tonight....

Is the "state of emergency" still in place in Victoria?

Or has it been repealed now?

Does anyone know?

If the "state of emergency" has been repealed
Technically speaking then,
PTA's should resume in the next few days.

As Victoria Police stated:
"This suspension (of PTA's), effective immediately, will remain for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency"

No State of Emergency = No PTA ban
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by BobWilliams61 » 11 May 2020, 8:20 pm

Kim Jong Dan announced the state of emergency will remain in place till the end of the month, at which point it will be reviewed, so don't hold your breath.
Got a nice 12G that I paid a deposit in April days before Kim Jong Dan closed up the Victorian Gun stores, doubt I will be pulling the trigger on it this Duck season
BobWilliams61
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 11 May 2020, 8:28 pm

From Vic Gov website:

Aligning with the outcomes of National Cabinet, that means:

outdoor gatherings being permitted with up to 10 people
indoor gatherings at home are permitted, with 5 visitors able to visit the normal residents of a household
the ability to leave the house for exercise will be expanded to include outdoor recreational activities. These activities can occur in groups of up to 10 people outside, but the requirements on physical distancing remain
for weddings 10 guests are allowed, plus the couple and the celebrant
for funerals, 20 people will be allowed at an indoor ceremony and 30 people at an outside ceremony. This is in addition to the minimum people required to conduct the funeral
religious gatherings and ceremonies will be permitted with up to 10 people, plus those required to perform the ceremony

A comprehensive set of question and answer responses is being developed. This will be made available on the DHHS website.

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/your-corona ... s-answered (this may not be updated for a few days after 11/05)
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 11 May 2020, 9:10 pm

BobWilliams61 wrote:Kim Jong Dan announced the state of emergency will remain in place till the end of the month, at which point it will be reviewed, so don't hold your breath.
Got a nice 12G that I paid a deposit in April days before Kim Jong Dan closed up the Victorian Gun stores, doubt I will be pulling the trigger on it this Duck season

Frick.

If the state of emergency is to remain in place for another month

Then that means that PTA's (most likely) won't be available for another month as well then

F@rk

This is terrible

Ugh
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 11 May 2020, 9:33 pm

Update;
Yes
I can now confirm it
(I just saw the news on the internet)

The State of Emergency in Victoria has now been extended till the 31st of May.

Looks like PTA's (most likely) still won't be available until June.

So we still have to wait and see.
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 11 May 2020, 9:50 pm

BobWilliams61 wrote:Kim Jong Dan announced the state of emergency will remain in place till the end of the month, at which point it will be reviewed, so don't hold your breath.

dpskipper wrote:but as long as the state government believe there is still some sort of 'emergency' they can keep it.

Sad to see that my prophecy came true.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 11 May 2020, 9:55 pm

dpskipper wrote:

dpskipper wrote:but as long as the state government believe there is still some sort of 'emergency' they can keep it.

Sad to see that my prophecy came true.

Yup
You were right
And imagine if we see a spike of cases during Phase 1 of the easing of the restrictions

Then they'll extend the state of emergency for even longer

I hope I'll get to collect my rifles at some point in 2020 lol.....

This is seriously disheartening...
Last edited by TheFirearmEnthusiast on 11 May 2020, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 11 May 2020, 9:59 pm

How do you lads in Victoria feel about these brumby culls?

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/cons ... 54r2n.html
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dpskipper » 11 May 2020, 10:03 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:How do you lads in Victoria feel about these brumby culls?

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/cons ... 54r2n.html

Any feral non-native animal needs to get whacked.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 11 May 2020, 10:12 pm

I know I know its just that I have a soft spot for horses. As long as its ethically done, culling them is the right thing to do. I don't feel good about it but it is what it is.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 12 May 2020, 10:09 am

Firearm restrictions finish in Vic tonight so PTAs will be up and running as well.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 12 May 2020, 10:23 am

MontyShooter wrote:Firearm restrictions finish in Vic tonight so PTAs will be up and running as well.

You're right
:thumbsup:
Last edited by TheFirearmEnthusiast on 12 May 2020, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 12 May 2020, 10:26 am

"Update: firearm and ammunition restrictions
On Monday May 11 2020, the Victorian Government provided an update regarding the current COVID-19 restrictions and have allowed some outdoor recreational activities to take place whilst maintaining social distancing.

The Licensing and Regulation Division are able to announce that, the temporary ban on the selling, loaning and hiring of firearms and ammunition for the reasons of Sport or Target Shooting, Clay Target Shooting and Recreational hunting will be lifted as of Tuesday 12 May, 2020 at 11:59pm."

Fellas

We're in business!!!!!!!
:drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 12 May 2020, 11:03 am

Fantastic news boys. So even though we are still in a state of emergency VicPol have gone and done their own thing against their initial wording. They did say the ban would be effective for the "duration of the COVID-19 emergency". Which as we knew all along was exclusively up to their interpretation.

It would seem that VicPol consider the community risk of COVID to have subsided enough, even though a state wide emergency is still in force.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 12 May 2020, 11:22 am

dpskipper wrote:Fantastic news boys. So even though we are still in a state of emergency VicPol have gone and done their own thing against their initial wording. They did say the ban would be effective for the "duration of the COVID-19 emergency". Which as we knew all along was exclusively up to their interpretation.

It would seem that VicPol consider the community risk of COVID to have subsided enough, even though a state wide emergency is still in force.

This is the best news ever man lol

When I saw that Daniel Andrews extended the state of emergency last night

I honestly lost all hope

I honestly thought that we wouldn't be able to collect our rifles for a VERY long time

I was disappointed last night

This is the best news ever

I feel so liberated haha
Today is a great day
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 12 May 2020, 11:27 am

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:
I was disappointed last night

This is the best news ever

I feel so liberated haha
Today is a great day

The mad rush at the range for everyone to try out their new guns is gonna be funny to watch.

What we can take away from this is concerning however. VicPol believe they have the authority for such an overreach as to suspend all firearms transactions. Hopefully the NSC legal action sets a precedent that prevents this from happening again.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 12 May 2020, 1:16 pm

Means I have to get In to try my gun within 28 days!!! Might sneak down to little river on the next mon or fri they open of they do... other wise I'm sighting my gun in out in the state park somewhere and finding my first pest... Hahaha not a bad way to break into the sport :friends:

So I guess that begs the question. Anyone within an hour of the south east suburbs of melb that would like to help a new fella sight in his rifle? Hehe
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 12 May 2020, 9:32 pm

I’m south east of Melb and will be happy to...errr....got a boat? Lol. Surely someone will hands up to go play and show you the ropes.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by dpskipper » 12 May 2020, 9:41 pm

Aliqua wrote:Means I have to get In to try my gun within 28 days!!! Might sneak down to little river on the next mon or fri they open of they do... other wise I'm sighting my gun in out in the state park somewhere and finding my first pest... Hahaha not a bad way to break into the sport :friends:

So I guess that begs the question. Anyone within an hour of the south east suburbs of melb that would like to help a new fella sight in his rifle? Hehe

If you ring up one of the ranges and plead your case they might give you a slot. Hopefully they are willing to priorities a newby sighting in his first rifle vs and old timer who's had 50 years worth of shooting already.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 12 May 2020, 10:05 pm

Thanks TT! Haha!

I like your thinking but they have members who are paying a lot of money for what they would consider 'priority'... I dont mind registering to become a member, I just want to sign up to the most appropriate club for what I want to do... (eg a couple of the VRA clubs near me dont allow .308s, or they dont allow muzzle brakes, or other conditions).

No news on what Vic Rifle Assoc are doing yet? But I can almost guarantee they would be the same with regards to priorities..?
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 12 May 2020, 10:26 pm

Aliqua wrote:No news on what Vic Rifle Assoc are doing yet? But I can almost guarantee they would be the same with regards to priorities..?

Can't say. I'm not a member of any clubs or even shoot at ranges. I'm lucky to have access to private property. I'd suggest maybe you do some 'feral animal' shooting in the state parks and do a little sighting in as well. Ranges are gonna be booked 24/7 until they remove the 10 person limit.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 13 May 2020, 6:44 am

dpskipper wrote:
Aliqua wrote:No news on what Vic Rifle Assoc are doing yet? But I can almost guarantee they would be the same with regards to priorities..?

Can't say. I'm not a member of any clubs or even shoot at ranges. I'm lucky to have access to private property. I'd suggest maybe you do some 'feral animal' shooting in the state parks and do a little sighting in as well. Ranges are gonna be booked 24/7 until they remove the 10 person limit.

Yeah and the working from home means that Monday and fridays wont be quiet.

Nearest state Forrest I can access for pest is 1hr away - same as ranges. Let's see how we go!!! :)
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 13 May 2020, 9:04 am

Aliqua wrote:
Nearest state Forrest I can access for pest is 1hr away - same as ranges. Let's see how we go!!! :)

How about bore sighting the rifle? Every gun shop worth their salt should sell one. Setup the rifle at the end of your hallway and match the scope up to the laser coming out of the bore. Crude but gets you close enough that it saves quite a bit of time and ammo when sighting in properly at the range.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 13 May 2020, 1:52 pm

Aliqua wrote:
dpskipper wrote:

Yeah and the working from home means that Monday and fridays wont be quiet.

I have the picture in my head - Aliqua drives out an hour to state forest...goes shooting for the day and goes home. Wife comes home to find a for sale sign on lawn with bags packed...lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

PreviousNext

Return to Victorian gun laws