How long until PTA's resume?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: How long until PTA's resume?

Post by Aliqua » 13 May 2020, 3:07 pm

dpskipper wrote:
Aliqua wrote:
Nearest state Forrest I can access for pest is 1hr away - same as ranges. Let's see how we go!!! :)

How about bore sighting the rifle? Every gun shop worth their salt should sell one. Setup the rifle at the end of your hallway and match the scope up to the laser coming out of the bore. Crude but gets you close enough that it saves quite a bit of time and ammo when sighting in properly at the range.

Done that twice already hehe. Have a 40m laser rangefinder for work ... measured out to 25m. I have the laser bore sighter and did all that.

Today i'm going to take it out and double-triple check my parallax ... just incase it's moved since I last checked :) hahah...

Ahhhh! itching!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 15 May 2020, 11:17 am

dpskipper wrote:Ranges are gonna be booked 24/7 until they remove the 10 person limit.

My range is taking bookings only and they are all gone until the end of June so if you didn't get in the first few hours after bookings opened then you missed out.
There is a five person limit as well.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 15 May 2020, 3:09 pm

linkoln wrote:
dpskipper wrote:Ranges are gonna be booked 24/7 until they remove the 10 person limit.

My range is taking bookings only and they are all gone until the end of June so if you didn't get in the first few hours after bookings opened then you missed out.
There is a five person limit as well.

Once we enter Phase 2 of the easing of the lockdown
It'll be better then
Coz then they'll allow 20x people per shooting range
(As long as the 1.5metre rule is in place)

We should be entering Phase 2 in 3x weeks now
(As long as we don't see a significant spike in cases)
Last edited by TheFirearmEnthusiast on 15 May 2020, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 15 May 2020, 6:29 pm

... or people don't stuff up the rules. Don't know if anyone saw the news today --- the amounts of people in the pubs, crammed in like sardines... no maximums, no social distancing... If THAT is how it's going to be, and business owners don't follow the rules... the govt. will just pull back -- and i hate to say it - but i'm worried that they wont just say "pubs and clubs", they will just say "everyone we are going back to pre-phase 1..."
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 15 May 2020, 6:49 pm

People don't stuff up the rules? Rules don't mean things are just mate. There was a time when I could not marry a black women or even any man if I so desired. I commend people getting on with their lives and going out enjoying themselves and stimulating the economy. You cant live in fear and hide in your house forever. Sick people quarantine, healthy people go about their business. At less than 0.1% death rate I will take my chances and go about my business as a lawful citizen.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Larry » 15 May 2020, 8:08 pm

I can see problems the way the SSAA is interpreting the restrictions. The issue is the group of ten part and they think they can have multiple groups of 10 on the same range as long as they are separated enough. It has been made pretty clear in many other examples that is not the case. Its not like even the AFL could have a different group of 10 in each stadium. The rule is that it is a group of 10 plus the admin people at any venue.

I hope they get it sorted and dont get caught out for both the organization and the individuals. it could be a costly lesson trying to find a loophole.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by TassieTiger » 16 May 2020, 4:40 am

Japan’s second CV19 wave - much, much worse than the first...complacent breeds contempt.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OMf_qLRjR1I
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by AussieCapitalist » 16 May 2020, 9:19 am

Man Japan is a tiny place with a huge population living on top of each other. Most of American deaths are in New York City and most of UK deaths are in London. Large cold places with millions of people living on top of each other in little boxes.

Over half of Australia's workforce is on welfare at the minute. That is ridiculous and is not sustainable. More people will die due to suicide and starvation from the tanked economy than from the virus. At the minute there is only 6 people in Australia on ventilators due to corona. There is more people with HIV than corona. The lazy people love the handouts but the hard working tax payer wants to get on with life.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 16 May 2020, 10:00 am

One dr in Los Angeles said 5 months ago, he was seeing/hearing one patient in the multi clinic a week suiciding, now he’s hearing 5 a day...pretty bad.

But - if there’s a significant out break as per japan, regardless of the minute death toll, The govt will lock it down again...they’ll blame the fact that only 1/4 of ppl down loaded app, or what ever - but they have set a precedent to their over reaction and they are not going to turn around and say that....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by AussieCapitalist » 16 May 2020, 10:42 am

Its scary man seeing governments all around the world overreact and force so called emergency powers. Searching homes without a court warrant and forcing business to close down. If this has not woken up people than nothing will. The QLD election is in October and I am trying to rally my community to vote for minor parties. People make fun of Americans protesting and resisting the lockdown orders but at least the people are standing up for themselves and not having their life ruined by the government trying to shut everything down.

The governments love people on welfare because it makes you dependant on them and not self sufficient. The more people are on welfare the more they will get you to vote for them because they will keep giving you more stuff.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dpskipper » 16 May 2020, 10:51 am

AussieCapitalist wrote:Its scary man seeing governments all around the world overreact and force so called emergency powers. Searching homes without a court warrant and forcing business to close down. If this has not woken up people than nothing will. The QLD election is in October and I am trying to rally my community to vote for minor parties. People make fun of Americans protesting and resisting the lockdown orders but at least the people are standing up for themselves and not having their life ruined by the government trying to shut everything down.

The governments love people on welfare because it makes you dependant on them and not self sufficient. The more people are on welfare the more they will get you to vote for them because they will keep giving you more stuff.

Couldn't agree more. Just you wait and see. First they closed the gun shops, next they'll take the guns.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 16 May 2020, 11:17 am

dpskipper wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Just you wait and see. First they closed the gun shops, next they'll take the guns.

Politicians love emergencies. Nothing moves quick until a so called emergency happens then everything gets passed real quick. Big sweeping changes happen real fast. The NAZIS did it with the Reichstag fire event. That's how old mate moustache got all of his power. It has been a slow grind since 1996 but things have happened real quick with this covid thing. A lot of the old shooters have died or are dying off and the young bucks coming up have no interest in firearms. Seeing as we need a "genuine reason" to own there is nothing to stop them from taking that reason away from us.

I got into an verbal exchange at the airport 2 weeks ago. Some cop wanted to see my ID and asked why I was travelling. I expressed my talking points at him and he walked off. He said he was just doing his job and don't yell at him. The blokes loading the jews onto the boxcars were just doing their job too mate. So do not give me that excuse, the line must be drawn somewhere for your moral compass. Australians have freedom of movement.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by linkoln » 22 May 2020, 8:58 am

I put in a permit last Thursday over a week ago and I haven't heard anything. I know they probably have a back log but all my other permits were done within two days.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 22 May 2020, 9:36 am

linkoln wrote:I put in a permit last Thursday over a week ago and I haven't heard anything. I know they probably have a back log but all my other permits were done within two days.

Same.
I put in a permit last Wednesday
I also haven't heard anything back yet

Hopefully won't be too long now
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Vone » 22 May 2020, 10:28 am

From what I've been told, they are prioritising all PTA's applied for before the lockdown including re-issue of PTA's that were issued but since expired during the lockdown period. Only once these are all processed will they start processing new PTA's. Seeing as they had more than 2000 PTA applications just prior to the lockdown, the backlog could take some time.
CZ 457 American 22LR
Tikka T3x Lite 308
Vone
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 22 May 2020, 11:34 am

Vone wrote:From what I've been told, they are prioritising all PTA's applied for before the lockdown including re-issue of PTA's that were issued but since expired during the lockdown period. Only once these are all processed will they start processing new PTA's. Seeing as they had more than 2000 PTA applications just prior to the lockdown, the backlog could take some time.

I've heard that the normal amount of PTA's that they get per week is normally around 1,000x per week (approx)
And that takes around 3x days to process

So if they take 3x days to process 1,000x PTA's
(Assuming that they have had around 5,000x PTA's to process since the lockdown etc)

Within 2x weeks everything should be back to normal

In the next week or so, I reckon things will go back to being "reasonably normal"

So we have around 1x more week to wait
(I think)

Not too bad
:thumbsup:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 24 May 2020, 2:22 pm

I've heard even Americans are having trouble getting the rifle I'm after because there are so few available and there is one on the shelf at my local shop. If it takes too much longer for the permit to come in I will have a very long time to wait for another lot to be imported.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 24 May 2020, 3:17 pm

linkoln wrote:I've heard even Americans are having trouble getting the rifle I'm after because there are so few available and there is one on the shelf at my local shop. If it takes too much longer for the permit to come in I will have a very long time to wait for another lot to be imported.

Yup.....
I'm a big fan of the round CCI standard velocity
The CCI shoots so well in my opinion
And so many other shooters swear by it also
And since CCI is made in the USA
With everything that's going on in the USA right now with the corona virus etc
I wonder if we'll have ammo shortages in AUS too..
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 24 May 2020, 6:30 pm

linkoln wrote:I've heard even Americans are having trouble getting the rifle I'm after because there are so few available and there is one on the shelf at my local shop. If it takes too much longer for the permit to come in I will have a very long time to wait for another lot to be imported.

What’s the particular rifle you’re after? If you want to keep that to yourself that’s fine. But, if it were me, and I really wanted a particular gun, I’d just pay for it and wait it out for the PTA, most shops would be happy to take your money and hold it for you. The PTA will come in quicker than waiting for the next firearm import. I paid for my Lithgow 223 in full a couple of years ago and before the PTA came back, the recall came in. So I had a couple of month with for the rebarrel on a fully paid for but never quite got it out of the shop rifle. I was pretty keen by the time it actually came back. I’ve also been chasing a few Henry’s lately, and if they’re not here already, the importer has said that they don’t know when the next shipment will be.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 24 May 2020, 8:13 pm

Shootermick wrote:What’s the particular rifle you’re after? If you want to keep that to yourself that’s fine. But, if it were me, and I really wanted a particular gun, I’d just pay for it and wait it out for the PTA.
I’ve also been chasing a few Henry’s lately, and if they’re not here already, the importer has said that they don’t know when the next shipment will be.

The rifle isn't a secret it's a marlin. I've followed their Instagram lately and every post I see people asking where they can get one and they can't find any one with stock. I've even seen marlin reply with that they should be getting more soon. I have put a deposit on the gun but I never thought about paying in full to guarantee it would be there, might be worth calling to see if they still have it in stock and pay the rest.

What Henry are you looking at, their big boy looks good but I don't like their sights?
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Shootermick » 24 May 2020, 8:56 pm

linkoln wrote:
Shootermick wrote:What’s the particular rifle you’re after? If you want to keep that to yourself that’s fine. But, if it were me, and I really wanted a particular gun, I’d just pay for it and wait it out for the PTA.
I’ve also been chasing a few Henry’s lately, and if they’re not here already, the importer has said that they don’t know when the next shipment will be.

The rifle isn't a secret it's a marlin. I've followed their Instagram lately and every post I see people asking where they can get one and they can't find any one with stock. I've even seen marlin reply with that they should be getting more soon. I have put a deposit on the gun but I never thought about paying in full to guarantee it would be there, might be worth calling to see if they still have it in stock and pay the rest.

What Henry are you looking at, their big boy looks good but I don't like their sights?

Which model Marlin? I’ve got a 30-30 336 BL, it’s in a grey laminate stock.
Trying to beat the price rise, I bought a Henry Big Boy Steel in 357, a Big Boy Brass in 44 mag and hopefully this week will pick up my Henry Frontier with the 24” octagonal barrel in 22 mag. I wanted this one in 22 lr or, the pump in 22 lr, but these were two that were out of stock and they wouldn’t even take a deposit because they had no idea when the next shipment would be. I’ll still be just as happy with the 22 mag though.
I wanted a 357, and when I bought it I found a really good price on the 44 mag at the same place and couldn’t resist. That then led to the Frontier...
The Henry sights aren’t fantastic, don’t know which I prefer out of them and the Marlin to be honest. But I like shooting through iron sights, just a bit of fun and a change from scoped hunting rifles. Might fit a couple of them with adjustable peep sights in the future for a bit more accuracy and for some silhouette shooting
A deposit should be enough for any decent shop to hold a rifle for you.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 May 2020, 10:19 am

I got two permits back today that were lodged (again) last Tuesday. She said that they are going back through and reinstating the "abandoned" permits that were in limbo.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ozzielee303 » 25 May 2020, 10:32 am

:clap: yippee,my permit came through,will be going down to pick it up either Thursday or Friday(dealer is 165kms one way from me,so will do monthly shop as well) :clap:
:drinks:
Cheers
ozzielee303
"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by ozzielee303 » 25 May 2020, 10:36 am

Only found out by chance,emailed LRD and got a reply back nearly 15-30 minutes ago,saying it was electronically sent to the dealer on Tuesday last week,rang dealer up and he said the rifle is in my name ready to be picked up,now to get my scope!
Cheers
ozzielee303
"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 25 May 2020, 12:00 pm

ozzielee303 wrote::clap: yippee,my permit came through,will be going down to pick it up either Thursday or Friday(dealer is 165kms one way from me,so will do monthly shop as well) :clap:

Awesome news man
Well done

When did you submit your PTA?

I submitted mine 2x weeks ago nearly now
Still haven't heard anything back yet
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ozzielee303 » 25 May 2020, 2:25 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:
ozzielee303 wrote::clap: yippee,my permit came through,will be going down to pick it up either Thursday or Friday(dealer is 165kms one way from me,so will do monthly shop as well) :clap:

Awesome news man
Well done

When did you submit your PTA?

I submitted mine 2x weeks ago nearly now
Still haven't heard anything back yet

Hey Mate
The gun dealer put it in on Monday last,for it ran out as they forgot to put it in my name,so it would have been just a formality to renew it.
hope you get yours real soon mate :thumbsup:
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 25 May 2020, 7:31 pm

Congrats everybody!!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Vone » 25 May 2020, 7:46 pm

Still haven't got my PTA which was submitted with my initial firearms licence application 2 weeks before the shutdown :cry:
CZ 457 American 22LR
Tikka T3x Lite 308
Vone
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 25 May 2020, 7:59 pm

I submitted my PTA on the 12th of May
(The day that Victoria Police announced that they would resume PTA's)

So it's essentially been 2x weeks now nearly for me and I haven't heard anything back yet

I know some people that submitted their PTA's on the same day as me and they got theirs back already

From what people have told me regarding the timeline of their PTA's being approved

I think everything will be back to normal within this week or so, give or take
(Based on what people have told me)

Crossed fingers.
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ozzielee303 » 25 May 2020, 8:13 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:I submitted my PTA on the 12th of May
(The day that Victoria Police announced that they would resume PTA's)

So it's essentially been 2x weeks now nearly for me and I haven't heard anything back yet

I know some people that submitted their PTA's on the same day as me and they got theirs back already

From what people have told me regarding the timeline of their PTA's being approved

I think everything will be back to normal within this week or so, give or take
(Based on what people have told me)

Crossed fingers.

Good luck mate :thumbsup:
Cheers
ozzielee303
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Victorian gun laws