Paper PTA Victoria

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Paper PTA Victoria

Post by Vone » 19 May 2020, 3:22 pm

G'day all,

First post here. I applied for my first PTA with my initial licence application mid March. I have been issued my plastic licence a few weeks ago. LRD have told me that the PTA is in line to be processed and as it was submitted pre-Covid shutdown the 28 day waiting period has been finalised. A couple of questions;

1. As this PTA application was on paper, will the dealer be able to see if the PTA has been approved on their online system, and if so can they sell me a firearm without the paper PTA?

2. Is it relatively safe to purchase a .22 rifle before the PTA has been approved? Are CAT A PTA denials common?

3. I guess LRD have quite a few PTA's to process at this time and as mine is a paper version it could be a while before I receive it in the mail. Does anyone know how long PTA processing is taking at the moment?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
Vone
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Paper PTA Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 20 May 2020, 9:29 am

A phone call to LRD, maybe?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 May 2020, 11:53 am

You can buy a firearm but the gunshop will not release the firearm until you give them the PAID green pta form. Once you get the PTA goto a Westpac bank and pay the money and take it to the shop.

99.9% you will get your pta... but i doubt any shop will have a leg to stand on keeping your money if your pta was refused.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 20 May 2020, 12:23 pm

Sergeant Hartman wrote:You can buy a firearm but the gunshop will not release the firearm until you give them the PAID green pta form. Once you get the PTA goto a Westpac bank and pay the money and take it to the shop.

99.9% you will get your pta... but i doubt any shop will have a leg to stand on keeping your money if your pta was refused.

Thats an interesting thought mate. I paid in full for mine and did my PTAs later. They never even mentioned a PTA they just wanted the sale. If you hand over your money willingly than who would be in "the right" so to speak if the PTA was rejected? They are legally bound to not hand over a firearm without a PTA but are they legally bound to refund the money? So you still own the firearm you just cant touch it and would have to sell it back to the dealer or get the dealer to send it to another dealer to get some money back. I wonder how the courts would rule if that scenario ever happened.

I can buy an AR15 from the gun store right now, I just cant process said AR15.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 May 2020, 12:41 pm

G'day Vone,
No, your paper PTA will not show up on the system. As Sergeant Hartman posted you can buy a rifle at any time, but the shop won't release it until you present the paid PTA. As for the time, LRD are a bit busy, but your application will have been processed and it is only a matter of printing and Aussie Post. For an example, I had 2 PTA's for handguns just before the shutdown which then expired before I could use them, so I mailed them in last Monday week ago by Express Post, received a phone call from LRD that Wednesday, and got my re-issue this morning. Fingers crossed yours will arrive this week or next week, Cheers and Welcome!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 May 2020, 2:55 pm

AC, good point. Any store worth their weight will not take your money and run away. This is Australia there are some consumer protections in place... not sure what is the case in America.

Atleast the cat D items are with borderforce and need a specific form to get released. There is a process that needs to be followed, with complete understanding you are not 100% guaranteed anything until all permits are approved.

Ofcourse you might just trying to be silly. Sorry i missed the sarcastic tone in your voice.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 20 May 2020, 3:38 pm

Sergeant Hartman wrote:AC, good point. Any store worth their weight will not take your money and run away. This is Australia there are some consumer protections in place... not sure what is the case in America.

Atleast the cat D items are with borderforce and need a specific form to get released. There is a process that needs to be followed, with complete understanding you are not 100% guaranteed anything until all permits are approved.

Ofcourse you might just trying to be silly. Sorry i missed the sarcastic tone in your voice.

Of course I highly doubt a store would not refund if the PTA was rejected but it does make one wonder what if. Used Cat D do not need to be released, only new ones. They are already released to a dealer.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 May 2020, 4:27 pm

Well if it's a used cat c/d and a instock item then it didn't cost the shop anything...but if you buy from another store....

I would assume outs not their first rodeo, they will have some process in place. No idea really though. But the op is a new license owner, cat c/d is beyond their thinking right now.

i hope he has already gotten a good reply to his question. Fingers crossed he gets it
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Vone » 21 May 2020, 9:41 am

Thanks for the comments guys. Appreciate it :thumbsup:
CZ 457 American 22LR
Tikka T3x Lite 308
Vone
Recruit
Recruit