How does one get a Cat.E license?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

How does one get a Cat.E license?

Post by junjun » 20 May 2020, 3:25 pm

Saw an ad on Used Gun for a select fire MP5. Makes me wonder how does someone in Vic to obtain a Cat.E license? Or is it something if you have to ask, you wouldn't be able to get it.
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: How does one get a Cat.E license?

Post by AussieCapitalist » 20 May 2020, 3:42 pm

What does the firearm act say about it? I would assume the rare cull maybe able to justify it in some way but most likely private security or personal protection only directly employed for government events would be the only way to get select fire firearms that are not welded shut.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 May 2020, 3:45 pm

G'day junjun,
Spend several thousand dollars and several years of mind numbing effort to aquire a Cat 1 Dealers Licence, even though LRD have announced they want to reduce the number of Cat 1 by 50%. Only other alternative is a Collectors Licence, then have a dealer weld plugs in the barrel, weld the action closed then weld all the trigger group into a solid lump. These are your only options today, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 20 May 2020, 4:16 pm

i guess if you have to ask, then you dont have a need for it.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 20 May 2020, 4:20 pm

I sure hope no one is welding up mp5's they're beautiful SMG's
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by womble » 20 May 2020, 4:42 pm

SOG’s Victoria.
Counter terrorism groups.
Body guards for diplomats.
Pretty sure SAS can, but they’re not under civilian law.
The commissioners friends perhaps.
I don’t know, why don’t you ring him and ask

Cat F gets you plasma rifles, phasers, light sabres. That’s what I’d be asking him about
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 May 2020, 5:08 pm

Just goto America and find a range. Otherwise call of duty on the xbox.

Considering its firing rate of around 800 rounds the mag of 30 will be gone in literally a second... ill probably end up shooting 400+ rounds in my first setting and then the credit card will be going wtf
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 20 May 2020, 5:20 pm

Sounds like E for edache not Cat E. I know of one person with a Cat E and he really had to jump through a lot of hoops to get it. Took ages.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Crazy » 20 May 2020, 6:10 pm

In Victoria firearm dealers, movie armorers and i think museums can get real working full auto's in Victoria.
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by junjun » 20 May 2020, 8:15 pm

womble wrote:The commissioners friends perhaps.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Or Commissioner in Correctional service
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 20 May 2020, 10:09 pm

Sergeant Hartman wrote:Just goto America and find a range. Otherwise call of duty on the xbox.

Considering its firing rate of around 800 rounds the mag of 30 will be gone in literally a second... ill probably end up shooting 400+ rounds in my first setting and then the credit card will be going wtf

I think from memory shooting 500 rounds out the last one I used cost me $140aud. Not that bad really.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 20 May 2020, 10:12 pm

They are phenomenally accurate for an SMG when fired in semi automatic, but saying that it's remarkably controllable under full auto, Comrade Ziad Hartman is right, full auto mags don't go far for long, but it's f***ing great fun, any guy who doesn't enjoy it must have been castrated
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 20 May 2020, 11:44 pm

MP5s are pretty accurate full auto. I shoot them frequently enough in different variations including a rare original FBI gun chambered in 10mm.

I doubt anyone is getting their hands on them in Australia unless a dealer dealing with government or the movies.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by AussieCapitalist » 21 May 2020, 8:47 am

Or the semi auto version there is a few around.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 21 May 2020, 9:28 am

wanneroo wrote:MP5s are pretty accurate full auto. I shoot them frequently enough in different variations including a rare original FBI gun chambered in 10mm.

I doubt anyone is getting their hands on them in Australia unless a dealer dealing with government or the movies.

I find it a bit hard to explain an MP5 in full auto, they're smooth as silk, don't spray all over, if I had to choose one to use it would probably be the .40cal/10mm one, last gun I fired chambered in that was the local police chiefs in a provincial area where they have been having issues with NPA using drugs to raise money to arm themselves, let's say the pistol has punched holes in more than paper. Was a beaut tho, STI 10mm that was smooth as silk too.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Return to Victorian gun laws