Blank Permit to Acquire from Vic Pol

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Blank Permit to Acquire from Vic Pol

Post by Kilowhiskey » 09 Jul 2020, 9:49 pm

G’day,

So I own a number of firearms, and normally I have put my permits to acquire through my local gun shop.

A few weeks ago I filed a form direct with vicpol for the acquisition of a bolt action 223 and a bolt action 308, knowing I wanted to buy a new gun gun but not sure what would pop up and if would be good value the time.

I have received two blank permits to acquire back from vicpol.

I just found a good lead on a pump action 30-06, my permits don’t have a specific calibre or action listed, they only specify cat B and are otherwise blank, am I still restricted to the classes I requested or can i purchase any cat Bfirearm?

Can I pay for these permits at my local dealer or do I have to go to the local bank to pay before I send the gun shop?
Kilowhiskey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Blank Permit to Acquire from Vic Pol

Post by linkoln » 10 Jul 2020, 11:56 am

It is my understanding that a permit needs to have a minimum of calibre and action everything else can be done after you make a purchase. I didn't think they would issue a permit without those but maybe it has changed since last I heard.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Jul 2020, 12:00 pm

In Tas - so need to be careful -this is t widely known, you can fill in a form And leave everything blank and sceptic Category...so if you stipulate cat B - you can buy anything in that category.
If you apply for cat B, then want a Cat A - it’s also accepted, BUT not the other way....

I did a PTA for cat B a while back and ended up using it to buy a cat a 12g Adler...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Jul 2020, 2:13 pm

G'day Kilowhiskey,
Are you sure they're completely blank? Both boxes? ie: the main box which says "NOTICE OF AQUISITION" will be completely blank but the small box in the upper right side under the BANK STAMP should have "TYPE" "ACTION" and "CALIBRE" section filled in by LRD. If they missed that then I would consider it an open permit for the Category. As for payment, you must go to a Westpac branch and can only pay in cash prior to going to a dealer. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws