Vic Handgun - Blanket Attendance Exemption - 2020

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Vic Handgun - Blanket Attendance Exemption - 2020

Post by Sarco » 21 Sep 2020, 6:57 pm

Apparently released today.

See attachment.
Attachments
LRD Notice of Variation - 14 Sep 20.pdf
(575.27 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Vic Handgun - Blanket Attendance Exemption - 2020

Post by Patriot » 21 Sep 2020, 7:00 pm

The very least they can do. After their goonish and thuggish behaviour over the lockdown.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by linkoln » 21 Sep 2020, 8:47 pm

The ranges got our full membership fees for the year and we barely used them. The government should step up and pay everyone's 2021 membership fees.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by eddievic » 22 Sep 2020, 11:26 am

I got a couple of friends who are yearly members of ssaa Springvale. SSAA gave them a couple months extension for free. Haven't the handgun clubs done similar?

But saying that if i (personally) can afford it i haven't asked for any partial refunds of gym membership and sporting club memberships. Most of these are either small business or not for profit clubs and likely not doing all that great right now.
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by doc » 22 Sep 2020, 1:14 pm

This was inevitable, but also VERY disappointing in the way it was handled.

VicPol right from the start should have done this after the initial outbreak. Even when we could go back to the ranges, a high number of members I have seen are elderly and many may likely choose not to attend even without restrictions until a vaccine is made available for their own welfare.

But instead of considering the well-being of these people - VicPol up to now has chosen to drag the chain on this, and the first act was still requiring a 50% attendance requirement first. This was effectively forcing the vulnerable to feel that they had to risk exposure by attend a range in order to keep their license which ended up showing both a double standard between how serious the state government says this virus is vs the lack of care of well-being towards shooters for a rule that would have had no negative impact at all to have an exemption from the beginning.

I guess the urgency and danger of this virus only plays out when it suits the narrative.

In a time where things are getting so much harder for everyone - a little bit of compassion and courtesy would have gone a long way. Instead we saw the opposite. Dragging heels and basically waiting til the last minute before 'giving in' to the inevitable and relieving the stress and worry of license attendance requirements.

I even note that while the exemption is across the board - they've left the requirement for statements to be submitted (seen in bold in the letter) - thus putting additional workload on clubs to still submit attendance sheets for what they do have - where the data suits no requirement and is excluded anyway - thus serving no good purpose - and only serving to add to the workload of club volunteers during a time of who knows what they're going through.

Some may see this as a relief and welcome news, but I see this as despicable and shameful in the way it has been handled.

I appreciate the boys in blue and much of what they have to go through in order to keep us safe. The rubbish most deal with every day. While I don't agree with all the decisions made by the force and I know it's impossible to please everyone - I respect them and like to make their lives as easy as possible whenever I get the opportunity. There are many great police out there, and I've had many show a lot of courtesy in return as well. Tis a pitty that we don't see the same courtesy extended our way as an example from those at the very top of the force. The example being set for their subordinates isn't the example I would have like to have seen. One can only hope that things will change in time.

Thanks for sharing the PDF.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Victorian gun laws