Hunting on foot.

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Hunting on foot.

Post by winton » 03 Oct 2020, 12:51 pm

Fionn wrote:
In a recognised deer habitat the laws are different, the magazine can't be loaded.

unfortunately, I just read about this on GMA's flyer

https://www.gma.vic.gov.au/__data/asset ... abitat.pdf

Although, I disagree with the interpretation GMA has used in their regulations, having rounds in a mag in your pocket doesn't so far as I know contravene the firearms act. They may be using another section of the act. Still, its probably not a good idea to go against GMA's advice which applies only between 30 minutes before sunrise and 30mins after sunset. This leaves alot more questions than answers I know.

Getting back, if I was crossing a track or a gazetted road (which could be a track) would I need to unload my mag? and how far from the road would I have to do it to satisfy the most enthusiastic police officer? I'm assuming as little back as I can where I'm able to recognize that its a road.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2020, 2:07 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:"or other device that is loaded with cartridge ammunition"

What would that mean?

Stripper clips, en-bloc clips, moon-clips, speedloaders for revolvers and tube mags, and other devices that hold ammunition ready for loading a firearm.

So it kinda says in a way that magazines and other devices loaded with cartridge ammo is considered loaded.

Only if they are installed in the firearm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Oct 2020, 5:09 pm

winton wrote:
Fionn wrote:
In a recognised deer habitat the laws are different, the magazine can't be loaded.

unfortunately, I just read about this on GMA's flyer

https://www.gma.vic.gov.au/__data/asset ... abitat.pdf

Although, I disagree with the interpretation GMA has used in their regulations, having rounds in a mag in your pocket doesn't so far as I know contravene the firearms act. They may be using another section of the act. Still, its probably not a good idea to go against GMA's advice which applies only between 30 minutes before sunrise and 30mins after sunset. This leaves alot more questions than answers I know.

Getting back, if I was crossing a track or a gazetted road (which could be a track) would I need to unload my mag? and how far from the road would I have to do it to satisfy the most enthusiastic police officer? I'm assuming as little back as I can where I'm able to recognize that its a road.

I have a feeling ( just re-winding the old tapes here :lol: ) a road is nominally 1 chain in width (66 feet) (22 yards) But correct me if I'm wrong.

This whole road, track, public space thing is a mine field.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 03 Oct 2020, 10:09 pm

winton wrote:They may be using another section of the act.

They are using section 36 of the Wildlife (Game) Regulations 2012

It only applies to certain areas and times etc. I put it in as it's different from the firearms act version of loaded firearm and may apply in some situations.

winton wrote:Getting back, if I was crossing a track or a gazetted road (which could be a track) would I need to unload my mag? and how far from the road would I have to do it to satisfy the most enthusiastic police officer? I'm assuming as little back as I can where I'm able to recognize that its a road.

The safest option would be remove the magazine, no need to unload it except as per the wildlife regs if they applied.

Otherwise your relying on the discretion of the officer and/or it's a public road or not.

The intent of the law is to stop a person carrying a loaded firearm on a public road such as walking through Melbourne CBD with a loaded firearm. (Extreme example) not to stop a person crossing a track in the remote wilderness.

But laws are blunt and they can't cover every situation่ hence discretion.

Like when I was 15 and stopped by the police for riding an unregistered motorcycle on main road, no helmet, dog on the back of the bike and a .308 rifle in the scabbard on the front of the bike and only get told I really shouldn't be doing it and be careful.

It's all about the situation and circumstance of each case.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 03 Oct 2020, 11:10 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I have a feeling ( just re-winding the old tapes here :lol: ) a road is nominally 1 chain in width (66 feet) (22 yards) But correct me if I'm wrong.

This whole road, track, public space thing is a mine field.

You're right most city roads are normally a cricket pitch wide. Country not so much.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by winton » 05 Oct 2020, 2:08 pm

Fionn wrote:Like when I was 15 and stopped by the police for riding an unregistered motorcycle on main road, no helmet, dog on the back of the bike and a .308 rifle in the scabbard on the front of the bike and only get told I really shouldn't be doing it and be careful.

Thats the good ol' days. That doesn't happen now. You've already breached a number of offences by todays standards.

I get the general feeling that police discretion is a rarity these days.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 05 Oct 2020, 8:19 pm

winton wrote:I get the general feeling that police discretion is a rarity these days.

By using discretion the officer takes on an element of risk that may cost you your career these days so the incentive to do so has diminished.

So it's either deal with the issue or FIDO
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Victorian gun laws