Blackpowder cap and ball shooting

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Blackpowder cap and ball shooting

Post by Bazzaboy » 22 Oct 2020, 12:50 am

Hello, Im wanting to find out if I can use a 1860 Army Cap and Ball pistol on my 180 acre property in rural Victoria. I understand a firearms licence is not required when buying one but is there any regulations in firing it on my property so that I dont have the local swat team dropping in on me. I have only one close neighbour approx 1 km away but as my land is long I would not be shooting across toward them. They do have rifles and licences so i cant see noise being a ffactor here.
Cheers.
Bazzaboy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Blackpowder cap and ball shooting

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Oct 2020, 8:39 pm

Bazzaboy wrote:Hello, Im wanting to find out if I can use a 1860 Army Cap and Ball pistol on my 180 acre property in rural Victoria. I understand a firearms licence is not required when buying one but is there any regulations in firing it on my property so that I dont have the local swat team dropping in on me. I have only one close neighbour approx 1 km away but as my land is long I would not be shooting across toward them. They do have rifles and licences so i cant see noise being a ffactor here.
Cheers.

I recently asked a similar question, basically I was told that pre-1900 guns are fine to keep unregistered/unlicensed as long as whole ammo isn't commercially available, if it is or you wish to shoot the firearm, it has to be registered and you have to be licenced. That's what I took away from it anyway.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14561
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 22 Oct 2020, 10:35 pm

Bazzaboy wrote:Hello, Im wanting to find out if I can use a 1860 Army Cap and Ball pistol on my 180 acre property in rural Victoria. I understand a firearms licence is not required when buying one but is there any regulations in firing it on my property so that I dont have the local swat team dropping in on me. I have only one close neighbour approx 1 km away but as my land is long I would not be shooting across toward them. They do have rifles and licences so i cant see noise being a ffactor here.
Cheers.

Nope.
If you want to actually fire an exempt firearm you have to register it, and have the appropriate licence.
In this case you would need a CatH licence which does not allow you to use a handgun anywhere except approved pistol ranges.
I can't think of any legal means that will allow to fire it on private property.
If you licence it you would be able to use it at pistol ranges though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 22 Oct 2020, 11:43 pm

G'day Bazzaboy,
Revolvers do NOT come under the provision of Section 3, it only applies to single barrel/single shot firearms. You need a licence, either Handgun or Collectors, to buy revolvers regardless of age or calibre and they cannot be used other than at an approved range in accordance with the laws regarding using collectibles. multiple barrel firearms such as under & over coat pistols or pepperbox, if they use percussion caps, must also be licensed. Replicas of these firearms, due to being made after 1900, also need you to have a licence and be registered, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 24 Oct 2020, 5:04 pm

Can't shoot pistol anywhere except a pistol range.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Victorian gun laws