A/B rifle storage in apartment

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

A/B rifle storage in apartment

Post by Mr Democracy » 17 Apr 2021, 10:46 pm

Hi I'm currently reading the law about guns and preparing to obtain a firearms license., I live in a high-rise apartment in Melbourne. Will Victorian law allow me to install a safe and store firearms in my apartment? Can a safe that comply with the law be installed in an apartment to pass the inspection by the police? Can my neighbor oppose. Will I bring a gun box into the elevator will cause other people's anxiety and be reported to the apartment manager or the police.
Mr Democracy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: A/B rifle storage in apartment

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Apr 2021, 10:36 am

Welcome to the forum Mr Democracy.

Yes, under the regs you can install a safe in the apartment. Needs to be bolted down (drilling concrete is noisy) unless it weighs 150 kg or more. Buy one bigger than u think u need. A 6 gun safe will most likely only hold 3 or 4 at most.

Neighbours should not even know your installing a safe. (Security wise, I don't advertise) Does the building owner need to know, do you need permission? That could be problematic.

Rifles in public places like elevators is problematic. I would use a case that does not make it obvious. Then say its a musical instrument if asked by a neighbour.

In Vic you generally get an inspection shortly after your first gun purchase.

Here:

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/safe-storage
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 18 Apr 2021, 12:18 pm

Yep, nice big safe (6 to 8 gun safe) and hard box with interior padding for safe transport. I have mates that say it surveying equipment, or computer equipment, or... you get the idea.

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Apr 2021, 12:51 pm

Something along these lines.

Screenshot_20210418-124757_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20210418-124757_DuckDuckGo.jpg (496.18 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 18 Apr 2021, 4:15 pm

Go to the airport and you will see lots of people with large cases and no one thinks twice what might be in them so get an inconspicuous case and don't put any gun related stickers on it and no one will know what you are moving through the apartment. I transport my ammo in a generic tool box so no one would think it is anything but tools.
Do you care what your neighbours have in the places, so why should they care what you have but at the same time don't let anyone know.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by dpskipper » 18 Apr 2021, 5:36 pm

Oldbloke wrote:In Vic you generally get an inspection shortly after your first gun purchase.

This is not always the case, although still excellent advise. Don't be sloppy with your guns, act like the police could come knocking any minute..
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mr Democracy » 18 Apr 2021, 6:06 pm

Thank guys, Now I know that living in an apartment will not affect me own gun. I also curious do store provide transportation and installation services when buy the safe? I don’t want to rely on my own strength to move a safe weighing more than 100 kilograms and fix it to the wall or floor(lol)
Mr Democracy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 18 Apr 2021, 6:14 pm

Mr Democracy wrote:I don’t want to rely on my own strength to move a safe weighing more than 100 kilograms

Buy it from a proper safe dealer and they can arrange for installation. Don't buy it from a gun store, they often sell s**ty safes with no after sales support or professional installation.

If you do opt to transport the safe yourself, see if it fits on a trolly, and just wheel it around on a trolly. (tied down of course)
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 18 Apr 2021, 6:47 pm

Just get a big enough case with wheels on it that you can fit your rifles in while they are in their gun bags nobody will bat an eyelid
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Apr 2021, 7:02 pm

dpskipper wrote:
Mr Democracy wrote:I don’t want to rely on my own strength to move a safe weighing more than 100 kilograms

Buy it from a proper safe dealer and they can arrange for installation. Don't buy it from a gun store, they often sell s**ty safes with no after sales support or professional installation.

If you do opt to transport the safe yourself, see if it fits on a trolly, and just wheel it around on a trolly. (tied down of course)

And cover anything that yells out "guns" to the locals.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 19 Apr 2021, 8:10 am

Irrespective of the ownership status of the apartment into which you intend residing, albeit owned or leased, make yourself very aware of any body-corporate rules that might apply.
Drilling into a wall or floor to fasten the security cabinet / safe? That could also be somebody else's wall or "roof". Running afoul of B/C rules can lead to a lot of misery.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Victorian gun laws