Moved to Victoria, transferring QLD license

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Moved to Victoria, transferring QLD license

Post by Dubcity » 30 Apr 2021, 4:17 pm

Hi all,

I'm just hoping someones encountered or found how I should approach this issue I'm facing

I recently moved to Victoria in Feburary and I previously held a QLD cat A&B license but I've moved to Victoria and wanted to transfer my license. I originally started the process when I moved and ended up giving up as I just faced a brick wall with any approach I tried to the situation. There's so many things I think are wrong with the way Victoria currently handles interstate license transitions but I'll leave that out of this.

So after redoing my firearms safety examnation even though I've years of experience and demonstrated safety I've run into another hurdle where I'm required to provide 2 referees where I've known the referee for 12 months yet I sadly haven't even lived here for that long and known any Victorian especially the ones set out in the criteria.

I attempted to reach out to Victoria Licensing and got a generic please see suitable references link email and I'm unable to give them a call as their phones aren't working.

I've tried to just add a note about my status into the application a few months ago about my situation and how I'm meant to hold the equivalent within 3 months if I have to know someone in Victoria for 12 of the accepted list. After pleading my case with my Dr and a JP they both which felt uncomfortable to sign when in bold letters it asks how long you've known them and you must have known them for 12 months by signing which I can sympathize with.

I'm just now in position where I'm in the process of selling my firearm and having to redo my exam in a year or so as my current safety exam has lapsed it's validity.

Anyone who has any advice to offer or suggestions it's really appreciated as I'm feeling like the cards are stacked against me here purely because I've moved interstate.
Dubcity
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Moved to Victoria, transferring QLD license

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 02 May 2021, 4:00 pm

I know Victoria only has 5 year licenses unlike the 10 in Queensland. Did you take the firearm with you to Victoria or leave it in Queensland? I only ask because Victoria restricts category A magazines. I think there limit down there is 15.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 May 2021, 4:20 pm

G'day Dubcity,
Are you a SSAA (Vic) member?
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 02 May 2021, 5:39 pm

It's been a while since I've filled in a licence form but does the referee have to be from the state you are applying for the licence in, couldn't you use your accountant or doctor from Queensland?
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by bladeracer » 02 May 2021, 5:58 pm

Dubcity wrote:Hi all,

I'm just hoping someones encountered or found how I should approach this issue I'm facing

I recently moved to Victoria in Feburary and I previously held a QLD cat A&B license but I've moved to Victoria and wanted to transfer my license. I originally started the process when I moved and ended up giving up as I just faced a brick wall with any approach I tried to the situation. There's so many things I think are wrong with the way Victoria currently handles interstate license transitions but I'll leave that out of this.

So after redoing my firearms safety examnation even though I've years of experience and demonstrated safety I've run into another hurdle where I'm required to provide 2 referees where I've known the referee for 12 months yet I sadly haven't even lived here for that long and known any Victorian especially the ones set out in the criteria.

I attempted to reach out to Victoria Licensing and got a generic please see suitable references link email and I'm unable to give them a call as their phones aren't working.

I've tried to just add a note about my status into the application a few months ago about my situation and how I'm meant to hold the equivalent within 3 months if I have to know someone in Victoria for 12 of the accepted list. After pleading my case with my Dr and a JP they both which felt uncomfortable to sign when in bold letters it asks how long you've known them and you must have known them for 12 months by signing which I can sympathize with.

I'm just now in position where I'm in the process of selling my firearm and having to redo my exam in a year or so as my current safety exam has lapsed it's validity.

Anyone who has any advice to offer or suggestions it's really appreciated as I'm feeling like the cards are stacked against me here purely because I've moved interstate.

I didn't think your referees had to be in Victoria.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 02 May 2021, 6:19 pm

I have never heard of needing to provide references for a licence.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 May 2021, 6:26 pm

Two referees that you have known for 2 years are needed in QLD in order to join a pistol club but I've also never heard of it as part of a license application.
It's a reminder that QLD is actually one of the better states for shooters to live.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 02 May 2021, 7:16 pm

I would provide QLD references and if rejected argue the toss.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 02 May 2021, 9:46 pm

Go to your local police station and ask to talk to the DFO and get it sorted
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 03 May 2021, 12:10 am

Good suggestion Deye.

If by chance you are in SE Melb [DFO is at Knox Police Station] he is a decent bloke, was new to the position when I left a bit over a year back so probably still doing the job.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Dubcity » 03 May 2021, 8:36 am

Thanks for everyones replies, I appreciate all of the responses

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:I know Victoria only has 5 year licenses unlike the 10 in Queensland. Did you take the firearm with you to Victoria or leave it in Queensland? I only ask because Victoria restricts category A magazines. I think there limit down there is 15.

Thanks for letting me know I wasn't aware of that. I've currently got it still in QLD as now I'm probably going to be up for selling it as it will lapse my license just on the sheer processing time

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Dubcity,
Are you a SSAA (Vic) member?

Hi, I sure am, I transferred my member registration not too long ago, I'm keen to visit the ranges as soon as I can!

linkoln wrote:It's been a while since I've filled in a licence form but does the referee have to be from the state you are applying for the licence in, couldn't you use your accountant or doctor from Queensland?

Yeah, this was something I thought I could get around with that though it argues doctors and a lot of the referees need to be practicing in the state you're applying your license for. A lot of the others that don't have this requirement are high ranking officers in the ADF/Military which I don't know anyone sadly :\

Tiger650 wrote:I would provide QLD references and if rejected argue the toss.

I might have to give that a go if all else fails, the only reason I haven't already is that they require to site the original I.D's and put that down as a signed decleration which I'm probably not on close enough terms to get my previous doctor or another eligible referee to do for me. But I might dig back into this if all else fails.

Are you or anyone aware if there is an option for debate on a rejection if I did go this method or if there's any reprecussion for being rejected in a way like this? A sort of mark on your name so to speak?

Tiger650 wrote:Good suggestion Deye.

If by chance you are in SE Melb [DFO is at Knox Police Station] he is a decent bloke, was new to the position when I left a bit over a year back so probably still doing the job.

Thanks for this suggestion. I'll give this a try. I'm keen to talk to someone about this in that sort of area who isn't a bot from the licensing division which doesn't listen to circumstance
Dubcity
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2021, 10:41 am

Tiger650 wrote:Good suggestion Deye.

Yep, best option. Talk face to face to DFO
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 03 May 2021, 12:56 pm

It's not a character reference.
It's just to show you are or have been who you say you are.
So you need someone you've have contact with on a professional level over whatever time frame they specified minimum or Longer.
Could be your dentist, your accountant, your employer etc.
Someone who can confirm you are you
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by gordy » 09 May 2021, 11:03 am

I'm in exactly the same boat. Moved from SA to Vic. only been here 3months and have no referees in this state.
I've done my safety course and all my paperwork just don't have a referee. I had my firearms licence in SA so not my first firearms licence
gordy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 11 May 2021, 8:21 am

I just checked the form and it doesn't say anything about your referee having to be from Victoria.
Anyone else thinking of moving from intestate should get their new firearms licence done before they leave their current state because licences take a long time and you will end up in this situation where you can't get your doctor or accountant to sign the forms for you.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 11 May 2021, 7:33 pm

I did same - qld to vic
I used qld referees no problem
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland