Category H attendance requirements

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Category H attendance requirements

Post by Tomotron » 13 May 2021, 7:18 pm

Do Victorian pistol clubs have "rolling competitions" for attendance purposes? If so, do they count towards matches or shoots?
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Category H attendance requirements

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 May 2021, 9:09 pm

G'day Tomotron,
Each day stands alone, so if a comp is held over 2 days, that is 2 matches.Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tomotron » 13 May 2021, 10:01 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Tomotron,
Each day stands alone, so if a comp is held over 2 days, that is 2 matches.Cheers.

By "rolling", I mean comps that can be held at anytime and not just at a specific date and time. Cheers.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=12293
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ausguns/commen ... ory_h_qld/
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 May 2021, 1:29 am

G'day Tomotron,
That doesn't happen here, a comp must be a club organized event that is scheduled and shooters participate in, and the club must keep records of those events including details of shooters, what firearms used etc that need to be available for inspection by LRD upon request. The majority of clubs provide plenty of opportunities to complete your mandatory 10 days per year, my own club does 3 days per month at Little River and 2 nights per week at Springvale, I only need 1 more day to complete my requirements. It is also possible to be a member of more than 1 club so you can get many more shooting days available, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tomotron » 14 May 2021, 11:21 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Tomotron,
That doesn't happen here, a comp must be a club organized event that is scheduled and shooters participate in, and the club must keep records of those events including details of shooters, what firearms used etc that need to be available for inspection by LRD upon request. The majority of clubs provide plenty of opportunities to complete your mandatory 10 days per year, my own club does 3 days per month at Little River and 2 nights per week at Springvale, I only need 1 more day to complete my requirements. It is also possible to be a member of more than 1 club so you can get many more shooting days available, Cheers.

Thank you for your answer No1Mk3, I am surprised by the lack of flexibility allowed in achieving the attendance requirements. Queensland and probably more states seem to be quite good in this regard. A minimum of ten events on ten days in Victoria with one class (same requirements with two classes) rather than just six in the other states and ACT. Eight events with two classes except Tasmania which requires ten. Seems to be more worth having three classes rather than just one or two here (twelve events in all states and ACT except Tasmania with fourteen). NT uses an odd system compared to elsewhere with counting disciplines rather than classes (twelve shoots for one or two disciplines, fourteen shoots for three disciplines and so on).
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 14 May 2021, 11:57 am

Actually, in NSW, 6 is a minimum if you only own one type of pistol. ( must be competition shoots )
If you own more than one type, a minimum of 4 attendances is required per type.
Types of pistol are defined as; air, rimfire and centrefire.
So for example, if you own all three types, you must have a minimum of 12 attendances.
"Of which 6 must be competitive shooting matches" ( NSW Police )
It doesn't matter how many of each type you have, just how many types.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 15 May 2021, 9:01 pm

I'm in QLD, but our club has a rolling calendar ( first Saturday, third Sunday etc) of each match and on which range etc.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Sarco » 15 May 2021, 10:48 pm

Vic attendance requirements is actually stated in the Firearms Act 1996(as amended).
Classes are:
1 = air pistol
2 = Rimfire
3 = Centrefire .38in cal or less
4 = Centrefire greater than .38in and less than .45in

Handgun Participation Table
The below summarises the participation conditions to take affect
from 1 January 2012:

Zero Classes/Guns, Zero attendance requirements, though must retain membership of a club to maintain a handgun license.
1 Class - 10 attendances
2 Classes - 10
3 Classes - 12
4 Classes - 16

Within the above requirements, handgun owners must ensure that the
following requirements are met:
• 6 of these events must be matches;
• 6 of these events must be as a competitor;
• 4 events for each class of handguns owned (matches or shoots); and
• Participation must take place on no less than 10 separate days.

I have all 4 classes, but as a member of 3 different clubs, numbers are never an issue.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Clintwoodz » 12 Jun 2023, 1:45 pm

Sarco wrote:• Participation must take place on no less than 10 separate days.

Hi, does this mean that if you want to satisfy bare minimum you can compete lets say once every 2nd weekend 10 times per year for 1 class gun, but what if want to participate every weekend? Those days that falls within 10 days count towards comps?
Clintwoodz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Jun 2023, 1:58 pm

Clintwoodz wrote:
Sarco wrote:• Participation must take place on no less than 10 separate days.

Hi, does this mean that if you want to satisfy bare minimum you can compete lets say once every 2nd weekend 10 times per year for 1 class gun, but what if want to participate every weekend? Those days that falls within 10 days count towards comps?

A minimum of 10 separate days, so every 2nd weekend 10 times a year, every weekend 10 times in a row or 10 separate days in a single fortnight. As long as it is 10 separate days and 6 of those days are a competition shoot.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by LNK » 18 Feb 2024, 11:38 pm

sounds like a bummer for the time poor, but in fact, it's a good way to make sure drug addicts and alchos don't have access.
LNK
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws