New CAT A/B licence with first PTA

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

New CAT A/B licence with first PTA

Post by Griffo1337 » 20 May 2021, 2:55 pm

First time poster, long time reader,

I am about to submit my hard copy form and a PTA to go with it.
I am definitely going to start with a .22LR, but I'm also tossing up an O/U 12gauge.

What I am hunting for clarity on is this:
Can I put down 12gauge O/U on my PTA form, and then assuming it gets issued, not actually follow through with the purchase?

Bit of a weird one I know but I am not 100% sure yet on the purchase.

Thanks in advance!!
Griffo1337
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New CAT A/B licence with first PTA

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2021, 3:25 pm

Griffo1337 wrote:First time poster, long time reader,

I am about to submit my hard copy form and a PTA to go with it.
I am definitely going to start with a .22LR, but I'm also tossing up an O/U 12gauge.

What I am hunting for clarity on is this:
Can I put down 12gauge O/U on my PTA form, and then assuming it gets issued, not actually follow through with the purchase?

Bit of a weird one I know but I am not 100% sure yet on the purchase.

Thanks in advance!!

I'm not aware of any requirement to actually buy a firearm just because you have a permit.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 May 2021, 3:26 pm

G'day Griffo1337,
Yes, absolutely. The PTA for a Cat A firearm doesn't state what you are buying other than A Category gun, so you can use it for either a shotgun or rimfire rifle. If it expires before you decide, you can send it back for a re-issue at no charge within 30 days of the expiry date. If you already paid for it, it will come back with "0" in the payment field so you don't have to pay 2x for the same permit, Cheers.
PS: Being your 1st Permit, a re-issue may have the 28 days waiting period enforced, so make your mind up early. Don't forget the application form has room for 3 guns, so apply for both a 22 and aa 12g on the form.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Griffo1337 » 20 May 2021, 4:17 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Griffo1337,
Yes, absolutely. The PTA for a Cat A firearm doesn't state what you are buying other than A Category gun, so you can use it for either a shotgun or rimfire rifle. If it expires before you decide, you can send it back for a re-issue at no charge within 30 days of the expiry date. If you already paid for it, it will come back with "0" in the payment field so you don't have to pay 2x for the same permit, Cheers.
PS: Being your 1st Permit, a re-issue may have the 28 days waiting period enforced, so make your mind up early. Don't forget the application form has room for 3 guns, so apply for both a 22 and aa 12g on the form.

bladeracer wrote:
I'm not aware of any requirement to actually buy a firearm just because you have a permit.

Thanks for the prompt replies! It's on the PTA now, just need my referee to sign off on the ID and then the waiting begins! :D
Griffo1337
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws