CAT A/B Licence Referee Question....

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

CAT A/B Licence Referee Question....

Post by Jimmy01 » 21 May 2021, 1:35 pm

Gday Fellas,

im in the process of applying for the category A/B licence here in victoria and I've got a question regarding the list of referees.

one of the criteria for a viable referee is "A member of the institution of Engineers Australia, other than a member with a grade of student"

My father happens to be a member of this institution and I was wondering if my Father is still able to be my referee?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Jimmy01
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless."
Jimmy01
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: CAT A/B Licence Referee Question....

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2021, 2:22 pm

Unless it states somewhere on the form that family members are excluded I can't see why he can't.

Jimmy01 wrote:Gday Fellas,

im in the process of applying for the category A/B licence here in victoria and I've got a question regarding the list of referees.

one of the criteria for a viable referee is "A member of the institution of Engineers Australia, other than a member with a grade of student"

My father happens to be a member of this institution and I was wondering if my Father is still able to be my referee?

thanks,

Jimmy01
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jimmy01 » 21 May 2021, 2:25 pm

bladeracer wrote:Unless it states somewhere on the form that family members are excluded I can't see why he can't.

Jimmy01 wrote:Gday Fellas,

thanks,

Jimmy01
that was my understanding also. just hoped that someone on here may have had dealed with this before :drinks:
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless."
Jimmy01
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 May 2021, 5:14 pm

Unless he’s a student and you’ve known him less than 12 months.

Just looked at the list of acceptable referees, what a wank.
My favourite is aboriginal elder... well jimmy is probably sitting out front of the pub about now, so that’s easy done.

Anyway look it’s not so hard. It’s put in there to deter you and confuse you. Consider getting your shooters licence a challenge to overcome, something to achieve. Be polite and patient with everything and everyone involved in the process.
Think you don’t know a suitable referee, think again, think harder. The chemist you get your scripts filled, your vet, your accountant, your bank teller. You must know someone who works for the local council.
It’s not a character reference, they’re not vouching for your good character. They simply have to be considered competent enough to witness copies of your identification and verify that they are true copies. Accountants and people who work in financial institutions do this s**t all the time. So just ask people. If they say no, ask someone else.

It’s just a hurdle, get used to it. The authorities are not there to assist you. They are there to discourage you. Persevere and persevere again until you are successful.
Also do join a club and do attend, get involved where you can.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 21 May 2021, 7:11 pm

I used my accountant years ago. At the time he was also my father in law, obviously the registry wouldn’t have known that, but I’m pretty sure it was still above board.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Jimmy01 » 21 May 2021, 8:40 pm

Shootermick wrote:I used my accountant years ago. At the time he was also my father in law, obviously the registry wouldn’t have known that, but I’m pretty sure it was still above board.
I couldn’t imagine it would be against their rules :unknown:
Jimmy01
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 21 May 2021, 9:22 pm

I've had the same accountant for years so I used them. I emailed them and they said yes come in we sign forms for current clients for free. I'm there in her office and she is all ready to sign the forms and she asks me what is for so I tell her it's a Shooters licence and she refuses to sign and tells me to come back later when another accountant is in.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by NewShooterVic » 21 May 2021, 10:21 pm

Hey,

I actually had a similar question to yours when i was sending in my application and i emailed the LRD.

This was the reply i got: "Be advised, if the Referee falls under the suitable category, then they are an acceptable referee. "

Seems like you should be fine :)
NewShooterVic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Jimmy01 » 22 May 2021, 5:08 pm

NewShooterVic wrote:Hey,

I actually had a similar question to yours when i was sending in my application and i emailed the LRD.

This was the reply i got: "Be advised, if the Referee falls under the suitable category, then they are an acceptable referee. "

Seems like you should be fine :)
perfect, just so handy that I have a close contact like that. Most people I’ve heard find this bit the most tedious
Jimmy01
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws