b709a supporting documents

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

b709a supporting documents

Post by pac » 16 Jun 2021, 4:11 am

G'day,

Wondering whether any supported documents are required to submit alongside the b709a application for importing cat c firearms?

Looking to pickup a firearm from QLD held under bond requiring a b709a permit for release into VIC but wanted to get some info before paying a 50% deposit

Did anyone have to justify their reasoning when submitting their application or just filling in the firearm and your license details was sufficient? Had a few mixed responses when asking local VIC dealers compared to QLD ones

Cheers guys
pac
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: b709a supporting documents

Post by No1Mk3 » 16 Jun 2021, 1:00 pm

G'day pac,
A copy of your PTA along with the B709 should be sufficent, can you not get your receiving dealer to arrange all this?
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by pac » 18 Jun 2021, 3:46 pm

When I asked this to one of the local dealers who isn't my regular he said that the dealership who imported the firearm needs to organise that for you - fyi these guys are in QLD and I've never purchased a firearm from them prior

So I called them up, asked about it, the guy was extremely unwelcoming and just wanted me off the phone. He pushing back and said it isn't any of their business, that I had to organise all of this myself and said "well are you ready to pay the 50% deposit now?" after initially stating it was only 25% a few minutes earlier

Pretty s**ty situation, I might go back and ask my regular if he can get it in for me from another local dealer. I was looking at getting a Kriss DMK22C if that makes any difference
pac
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2021, 4:04 pm

pac wrote:When I asked this to one of the local dealers who isn't my regular he said that the dealership who imported the firearm needs to organise that for you - fyi these guys are in QLD and I've never purchased a firearm from them prior

So I called them up, asked about it, the guy was extremely unwelcoming and just wanted me off the phone. He pushing back and said it isn't any of their business, that I had to organise all of this myself and said "well are you ready to pay the 50% deposit now?" after initially stating it was only 25% a few minutes earlier

Pretty s**ty situation, I might go back and ask my regular if he can get it in for me from another local dealer. I was looking at getting a Kriss DMK22C if that makes any difference

Your dealer should be helping you with this, it has nothing to do with the importer, your dealer should understand this. You could also look at importing the firearm yourself, then your dealer collects it directly from Border Force and transfers it to you.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Jun 2021, 5:29 pm

G'day pac,
Not great customer service from the northeners, but your local Vic dealer is the one to help you with your PTA application. Looking at the rifle you want I doubt if LRD would approve the permit so make sure you can get one before paying any money to anyone. Just being semi-auto 22RF does not mean approval for Cat C is assured, a case in point is the GSG AK47 clone which LRD will only approve as Cat D, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by pac » 18 Jun 2021, 7:13 pm

Thanks for clarifying bladeracer, it was a little strange hearing different stories from both these guys. I got in touch with another firearms dealer I have used regularly in the past and they are much more willing to assist in importing anything I need for Cat C. There's not a lot of information available on these processes from what I could find online from official sources making it a little more difficult.
pac
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by pac » 18 Jun 2021, 7:14 pm

Ah okay, so besides knowing that any firearms that resemble a military firearm in design, function or appearance get reclassified as Cat D in Victoria I'm assuming the only way to truly knowing whether LRD would approve or now is through submitting a PTA. Did someone you know apply for a PTA for the GSG AK47 and get rejected or was it just a known reclassification - if that one didn't get through I would also doubt this one would so cheers for providing that information No1Mk3.
pac
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by pac » 18 Jun 2021, 7:16 pm

An open question to both bladeracer and No1Mk3 or anyone else, do you guys know of any good alternative semi-auto Cat C rifles available in Victoria that are reliable with rimfire?
pac
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2021, 7:27 pm

pac wrote:An open question to both bladeracer and No1Mk3 or anyone else, do you guys know of any good alternative semi-auto Cat C rifles available in Victoria that are reliable with rimfire?

Ruger 10/22 would be my first choice, and tons of aftermarket stuff if you really want to dress it up like an AR15. I broke a firing pin but it was cheap and easy to replace.

I also had a Winchester Model 190 that was good, and a pair of Stirling Model 20's when I was a kid.

I would avoid the military styles as you're liable to wake up one day to discover they're now illegal.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2021, 7:29 pm

pac wrote:Ah okay, so besides knowing that any firearms that resemble a military firearm in design, function or appearance get reclassified as Cat D in Victoria I'm assuming the only way to truly knowing whether LRD would approve or now is through submitting a PTA. Did someone you know apply for a PTA for the GSG AK47 and get rejected or was it just a known reclassification - if that one didn't get through I would also doubt this one would so cheers for providing that information No1Mk3.

Even having a PtA is not a guarantee, as Warwick owners discovered.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Jun 2021, 8:07 pm

G'day pac,
Unlike bladeracer I have no great memories of the Stirling, OK, but just. I had a M20 and their M16 (I was young OK?) But I agree wholeheartedly about the 10/22 which also has the advantage of a vast amount of "dress up" gear available. One of the other semi-autos I had then was a Voere 2114, very nice rifle. As for the GSG, yes, a friend of mine recently (last 3 months) tried to get a PTA for one and was refused by LRD who quoted "military appearance, Cat D" only, Cheers.
PS:The Remingtons always had a lot of fans back then too.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 21 Jun 2021, 9:26 am

This saiga 12 is a Rsussian made 12 guage AK. They don't import them anymore. It is a cat C in Queensland as the magazine is 5 rounds. Because it does not have the pistol grip it should be a cat C in Victoria as it does not replicate in appearance a centrefire AK. If you added a pistol stock it would more than likely be a cat D in Victoria.
This one has already been imported to a licence and thus a B709 is not required. This shotgun is a beautiful collector piece and will be worth at least 10 grand in the next few years due to its rarity. Americans can not even import them anymore and the price is rising over there.

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/357399/
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Victorian gun laws