Legal AR-15 in Australia?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Legal Ar-15 ?

Post by DJCoopes » 22 Nov 2018, 3:30 pm

yoshie wrote:Most of the firearms registries even get funny about bolt actions that take AR mags or guns chambered in 5.56 NATO not 223.

aren't .223 and 5.56 Magazines interchangeable?
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 22 Nov 2018, 5:33 pm

DJCoopes wrote:

The external differences between the two are so small that they are indistinguishable to the eye, so yes.

I believe it's the higher pressure in 5.56 that is the main difference.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 22 Nov 2018, 6:55 pm

yoshie wrote:Not really. There is a couple of straight pull based on ARs, but most states and territories have not allowed them due to the military appearance clause in our legislation. There was also one based off a HK too. Most of the firearms registries even get funny about bolt actions that take AR mags or guns chambered in 5.56 NATO not 223. If you get your collectors licence or dealers licence or set up a pro shooting company, you can get real ones.

Yep, unlike the UK which bases legislation on method of action, not appearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUIFFSbckLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJm8UXzSGSo
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 23 Nov 2018, 8:32 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:
DJCoopes wrote:

The external differences between the two are so small that they are indistinguishable to the eye, so yes.

I believe it's the higher pressure in 5.56 that is the main difference.

AR magazines are exactly the same for both .223 and 5.56. They can stamp whatever they want on them but the dimensional differences of the magazine and follower are the same. The same magazines can also contain such cartridges as 300 Blackout, 458 SOCOM, 50 Beowulf and probably some others.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Re: Legal AR-15 in Australia?

Post by zhuk » 24 Nov 2018, 7:00 am

JC102 wrote:
feedr wrote:This could be just the rumour mill but it's what I read on the net some time ago...

Apparently he lost his license? The story was that in one of his videos he had his Cat C out and left the room during the video (left the rifle unattended) so gone done for improper storage or something along those lines?

As I said could be wrong, if so apologies to Steve. That's just what I read...

I hope that's not the case.

I noticed another video of him shooting handguns with his son on private property was also deleted. Unless I'm mistaken, no state or territory allows you to shoot a pistol on private property.

Anyway, I hope he makes an update video soon.

I know two people (one in VIC, one in NSW) who have been given extraordinary dispensation to shoot handguns on their properties. Both are near the top of their disciplines internationally and also had a *lot* of $ to construct sufficient backstops, with the required extensive template being approved.

But those are the only two exceedingly rare (and possibly only) cases which I know of.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Legal AR-15 in Australia?

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Oct 2019, 1:58 pm

^^^^rotfl.... i am waiting for someone else to comment.

That just sounds like an oxymoron.

It's a pump action bolt rifle that looks like a tactical rifle.... as i believe the ar15 trademark is only for semi or full auto rifles
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by pignmud » 05 Nov 2019, 8:26 pm

yoshie wrote:
Combat_Wombat wrote:Surely an AR doesn't look and more "scary" then a fully decked out 7615 with pistol grip etc.. Anyone on the street would probably classify both as a machine gun haha

I bet channels 9 would call a 7615 an assault rifle or machine gun. Even some of those HR single shots look pretty scary too especially when you hang a torch on the barrel

haha I know old post but yes 7615 is now classed as an assault rifle in WA :lol:
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Victorian gun laws