Will Starting Therapy Cause License to be Taken?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Will Starting Therapy Cause License to be Taken?

Post by Ruin » 23 Dec 2021, 8:13 am

Just an upvote for beyond blue. I’ve used them myself over the years and found them useful.
Ruin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Empie » 23 Dec 2021, 11:50 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Empie wrote:For those who opted out of My Health Record, it looks like we are being forced into it if wanting a digital vaccination certificate e.g. as a requirement for cross-border travel. Paper vaccination certificates are not worth the paper they are printed on.

I opted out of my health record and had no issues getting a digital certificate.

Oldbloke, I've been through a convoluted list of online instructions which comes to setting up a myGov Medicare account :crazy: , & it appears to have links to the My Health Record. Are you sure My Health Record wan't set up for you in this process? Any chance you could give some pointers on how to do it?
Empie
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Dec 2021, 12:31 pm

Sorry NFI. Once you have a log on should be fairly straight forward. Not that I'm a fan of the system.
Instructions are written by IT people, I'm sure. Make it complicated when it's simple.

DEF not in my health.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Empie » 23 Dec 2021, 12:56 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Sorry NFI. Once you have a log on should be fairly straight forward. Not that I'm a fan of the system.
Instructions are written by IT people, I'm sure. Make it complicated when it's simple.

DEF not in my health.

Yes, sure is complicated, so I want to get this well in advance of any travel plans. To get me started, is there a www site or app you view this certificate through? If so, can you tell me the name?
Empie
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Dec 2021, 3:11 pm

OK. Just noticed your in WA.

In Vic once it's set up you can view in in the Service Victoria app or in My Gov online
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2021, 5:14 pm

Oldbloke wrote:OK. Just noticed your in WA.

In Vic once it's set up you can view in in the Service Victoria app or in My Gov online

I don't have MyHealth or MyGov.
Bunnings didn't want to let me in a few weeks ago because I only had the card the mob filled out when I had each shot. I rang Medicare and got them to send me out a printed document. I have to also have proof I'm the person on the document using a photo I'd...despite having most of my face covered by a mask. Shelf stackers have been given the power to turn customers away, and some revel in it.

I wonder when we stop having to prove we've been vaxxed?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ruin » 23 Dec 2021, 6:51 pm

Your mental health is more important than your firearms license. I don’t know the consequences but I wouldn’t make it a topic of conversation. In saying that if trying to keep it secret becomes a barrier to effective treatment then give it up. Only you can make this decision, but mental health problems can impede a rational decision making process. No one here can tell you what to do S you have to make your own decisions but make wise choices because once you get on the roller coaster it’s hard to make wise choices.
Ruin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 23 Dec 2021, 7:21 pm

I oped out of My gov records.
But then downloaded the Medicare App from the App store in google loaded in all info and worked ok for 1 or 2 time then would not work .
I could not get it to work.
So I Rang the help line at medicare and they done it with in second,s But I was pulling my hair out at first
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Empie » 23 Dec 2021, 8:46 pm

WA is supposed to working on some state-based health app in addition to the check in one we already have. Hopefully it will be up to the World-class tech used in in Vic. Just have to get firearms licences/permits electronic/online like you have & we will be really going somewhere :D
Empie
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Dec 2021, 2:55 am

Empie wrote:

WA is supposed to working on some state-based health app in addition to the check in one we already have. Hopefully it will be up to the World-class tech used in in Vic. Just have to get firearms licences/permits electronic/online like you have & we will be really going somewhere :D

You might have to Wait Awhile :allegedly:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 24 Dec 2021, 7:07 am

Personally I believe absolutely everyone can benefit from therapy. It doesn't mean there is a problem, it can be about further development. Eg. Making you even better at what you do in your profession.
Having someone independent to talk to who will give 100% attention and an unbiased view. Pretty sure there is nothing wrong with getting guidance and making yourself a better person. If while meeting a counsellor or coach or whatever you start to talk about struggles with life, I think it's a fine line between self development and depression and I don't see there would be a record for such guidance.
I'm pretty sure noone is ever 100% happy. It's how you deal with it and I reckon everyone can benefit from some guidance at some point in our lives.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 24 Dec 2021, 7:10 am

In addition to my thoughts above, like others have indicated, if you see someone like a self help coach or counsellor or whatever, that's probably a better idea.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ob1 » 25 Dec 2021, 9:32 am

sbd850 - From your posts, it sounds like you have self-diagnosed and decided that you may need clinical counselling for hopelessness / depression. If you actually do require clinical intervention for hopelessness / depression it is sensible that you probably should not be around access to guns for a while for the safety of yourself and your loved ones, which is a view that most health professionals and observers at a distance like me will take.

Have you gone straight to the worst-case scenario/solution and skipped the earlier steps of talking to supportive ears? First, you should talk to people on some of the anonymous help lines suggested before jumping into a self-diagnosis of needing clinical intervention. Feeling frustrated and angry is natural in bad situations and being able to let everything out and share with someone anonymous is therapeutic, not clinical.

Try talking to several online helplines before seeking clinical intervention. You will soon get an idea of whether it is helping you to get back onto an even keel, or not. There are dedicated support and counselling lines for small business owners, so a lot of people are going through the same thing. Asking yourself R U OK is not a sign of needing a psych, it is good self help and a sign that you probably need to talk to supportive ears and let it out.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by northdude » 28 Dec 2021, 9:09 pm

Thats pretty good above. Its actually pretty normal ro feel frustrated/ helpless anxious some times. Theres probably something wrong with you if you dont have feelings like that from time to time. Sometimes just talking to some like minded people that arent out to judge you can be thearapy in its self as sometimes you just need to get stuff off your chest...
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by TheLoff02 » 20 Mar 2022, 10:23 am

“I have a friend who…” has seen a mental health professional on /off for about a decade, then a few years ago, self-admitted into residential rehab hospital for several weeks to treat drug/alcohol addiction, has now been dry since late 2019. During 2020 they decided to take up new hobbies and sporting interests for whole of life benefits. This included pistol shooting in Victoria which requires NORI paperwork just to hold a handgun under supervision. The NORI includes specific questions about mental health (and also Prohibited Persons, ie proper Criminals). This person got a letter of recommendation from treating health professionals (specifically their GP AND Psychologist). Both letters specifically mentioned NORI and shooting and a phrase like ‘encourage the uptake of shooting as a sporting interest’ ; another version of recommendation letter was obtained when applying for Provisional handgun, catAB longarm, then later General Cat. Handgun (I.e. full) licenses.
No issues, challenges, queries, or delays were experienced along the licensing journey.
The motivation of following this licensing approach was to be transparent and above board with all rules and regulations such that if a question of ‘gun ownership appropriateness’ ever does come into play, there is full traceability.
TheLoff02
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by womble » 20 Mar 2022, 11:29 am

It also show him being forthright and honest. And good sense of responsibility.
Shows good character.
They dont approve liars, because they cant be trusted.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by M3D1C » 22 Apr 2022, 12:11 am

Hey mate, medical professional (and shooter) here.

Your mental health is more important than your ownership of a tool; dont let being a gun owner hold you back from looking into your health when you need to.

I go see a psych from time to time due to the nature of my job- I don't think I've ever brought up the topic of being a shooter, as it's not pertinent to the treatment- I've never thought of hurting myself or others. I imagine if that was different, it might be highly relevant, as you can appreciate.

For me, I like going to the range or out in the paddocck and having a shot as it therapuetic, requires patience, stillness, and skill. It calms me.

Definitely look at getting some help- if you don't think having access to a firearm is relevant, you're not compelled to bring it up! But if in the course of your chats with the psych you might wonder if having a firearm around is a good idea, do something about it. Get a shooter mate or a dealer to hang onto it for a while. Be safe.
M3D1C
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 22 Apr 2022, 2:23 am

sbd850 wrote:Anyway, if I go down this road, does it make me an "improper person"? Will it cause me to lose my license if I do so?

Cheers

Absolutely yes there is this little thing called mandatory reporting no matter what bloody state you live in .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 22 Apr 2022, 7:58 am

deye243 wrote:
sbd850 wrote:Anyway, if I go down this road, does it make me an "improper person"? Will it cause me to lose my license if I do so?

Cheers

Absolutely yes there is this little thing called mandatory reporting no matter what bloody state you live in .

Amanda this is why males have higher instances of suicide in country areas.

Thanks for your informative post medic, I agree with it completely
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Keystroke » 06 May 2022, 2:15 pm

I'm doing therapy at the moment through Medicare/Headspace and no boys in blue have shown up to take mine. From experience I highly recommend therapy if you're struggling.
Keystroke
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Previous

Return to Victorian gun laws