Storing firearms

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Storing firearms

Post by Aussie_Vic » 30 Jul 2021, 5:10 pm

G'day all!

I Will be going for my adult license this September, Parents aren't too keen with having a safe in the house with the risks of break in's e.t.c.

I've read on vic police i could store my rifle with a friend or whoever has the same category license as me also at the local gun shop and police station.

Do some storage facility companies store firearms in the units i know of firearm storage units in Melbourne but i'm not really keen to drive an hour up and back.

Any help or tips is much appreciated.

Cheers
Last edited by Aussie_Vic on 30 Jul 2021, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Storing firearms

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Jul 2021, 7:09 pm

G'day Aussie_Vic,
Yes, you can store your rifle at a friends who has the same category licence. A gunshop may charge fees so you will need to check that out and the Police can be a problem in that usually only 1 or 2 of them may be authorised to access the firearm and even with pre-warning may not be available when you want to collect or drop off your gun. Kennards do storage, perhaps check if there is a facility closer to where you live? Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 30 Jul 2021, 7:11 pm

Your parents don’t like you.
Find a single mum on the pension and move in with her.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 30 Jul 2021, 7:20 pm

I know this because i have children and i don’t like them.

I am a sucker for blackmail though. So try that on. Like promise to give up heroin and prostitution if they let you have a safe.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 30 Jul 2021, 7:21 pm

Storing at a facility will cost over time. I can understand your parents concern about storing them at home, But it's not like you're advertising that you have guns at home is it? Tell them you'll be discreet, don't tell all your mates and you'll be OK.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 30 Jul 2021, 7:32 pm

Gun Shops cost a fortune real quick. Police I dont think you will have any luck with them. They will tell you it is not there job or a service that they offer. Go with a friend if you cant get a safe at home.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2021, 9:07 pm

Aussie_Vic wrote:G'day all!

I Will be going for my adult license this September, Parents aren't too keen with having a safe in the house with the risks of break in's e.t.c.

I've read on vic police i could store my rifle with a friend or whoever has the same category license as me also at the local gun shop and police station.

Do some storage facility companies store firearms in the units i know of firearm storage units in Melbourne but i'm not really keen to drive an hour up and back.

Cheers

Parents are to supposed to support their children, not actively work against them. Do you have grandparents, aunts, uncles, or siblings living nearby?
When your firearms are stored elsewhere you can never be absolutely sure they're secured, keep them with you.
Perhaps talk to your DFO, he might also be able educate your parents.
Never give them to Police, store them with a fellow shooter if possible, or a gunshop or at a range. I'd have to research it, but I think your friend only requires a licence if they have access to the firearms, if you have the only keys to your safe you should be able to store them with anybody you can trust. Don't store them with drunks or drug users, or anybody that has any association with such people though.
If you only shoot at a range then ask if you are able be able to store them there.
If you hunt or shoot on private land or state forests though, having to go and get your firearms before you can go shooting might wear thin very quickly.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 30 Jul 2021, 9:11 pm

When I was young, a long time ago, my .22 and 12g lived under my bed. Things have changed, and definitely for the better.
Tell Mum and Dad you’re getting a safe. No one will even know it’s there.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 30 Jul 2021, 9:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Aussie_Vic wrote:G'day all!

Cheers

Parents are to supposed to support their children, not actively work against them. Do you have grandparents, aunts, uncles, or siblings living nearby?
When your firearms are stored elsewhere you can never be absolutely sure they're secured, keep them with you.
Perhaps talk to your DFO, he might also be able educate your parents.
Never give them to Police, store them with a fellow shooter if possible, or a gunshop or at a range. I'd have to research it, but I think your friend only requires a licence if they have access to the firearms, if you have the only keys to your safe you should be able to store them with anybody you can trust. Don't store them with drunks or drug users, or anybody that has any association with such people though.
If you only shoot at a range then ask if you are able be able to store them there.
If you hunt or shoot on private land or state forests though, having to go and get your firearms before you can go shooting might wear thin very quickly.

My parents are fully support me owning a firearm and hunting, just it's the risks they think about what could happen if a break in happens or whatever it's realistic but over thinking. I'll ask if ssaa little river provide storage other than springvale
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2021, 10:27 pm

womble wrote:Your parents don’t like you.
Find a single mum on the pension and move in with her.

lol chimp.gif
lol chimp.gif (284.83 KiB) Viewed 2939 times

An excellent solution.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2021, 10:36 pm

"My parents are fully support me owning a firearm and hunting, just it's the risks they think about what could happen if a break in happens or whatever it's realistic but over thinking. I'll ask if ssaa little river provide storage other than springvale"

1. Go with a friend if you cant get a safe at home.
2. Offer to install a basic alarm system. That helps them too.
3. Bribe dad with a slab. (works for me, stout please)
4. Be nice to mum. (Sometimes works lol)
5. Forget the cops.
6. Storage or LGS will be expensive.
7. Explain its you responsibility, not theirs.
8. If the above don't work, offer to mow the lawn. (that also works for me)

Good luck.

PS. It can go in a decent locked shed if that helps.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 31 Jul 2021, 7:29 am

Oldbloke wrote:"My parents are fully support me owning a firearm and hunting, just it's the risks they think about what could happen if a break in happens or whatever it's realistic but over thinking. I'll ask if ssaa little river provide storage other than springvale"

1. Go with a friend if you cant get a safe at home.
2. Offer to install a basic alarm system. That helps them too.
3. Bribe dad with a slab. (works for me, stout please)
4. Be nice to mum. (Sometimes works lol)
5. Forget the cops.
6. Storage or LGS will be expensive.
7. Explain its you responsibility, not theirs.
8. If the above don't work, offer to mow the lawn. (that also works for me)

Good luck.

PS. It can go in a decent locked shed if that helps.

The good thing is that i've half convinced my dad to go for his course and license.
The option of a security system would highly boost the chance for me whats the regular price for one.
I have a shed out the back would that work for cat A/B storage? it's never used and has a lock on it.
I appreciate the help. :)
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ThePlinkster » 31 Jul 2021, 9:31 am

Purely statistically speaking
You only have a 0.2% chance to have your firearms stolen
See here:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=15090

For my alarm system
I paid around $1,000 for it (installed)
It's good peace of mind I find
The more security, the better
Why not
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 31 Jul 2021, 7:16 pm

Aussie_Vic wrote:My parents are fully support me owning a firearm and hunting, just it's the risks they think about what could happen if a break in happens or whatever

It might be time to cut the cord and move out, if you live your life based on what your parents want you will end up resenting them for stopping you from doing something you really want to do.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by MontyShooter » 31 Jul 2021, 11:07 pm

What do you think would actually happen in a break in? The bad guys will stumble across guns they didn't know were there? Manage to open the safe, find some ammo locked somewhere else, then shoot people? If anything, I'd say they will be a deterrent.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jul 2021, 11:22 pm

You can get basic DIY systems pretty cheap on ebay. Depends what you want, fair or great security. None are full proof.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 01 Aug 2021, 8:04 pm

linkoln wrote:
Aussie_Vic wrote:My parents are fully support me owning a firearm and hunting, just it's the risks they think about what could happen if a break in happens or whatever

It might be time to cut the cord and move out, if you live your life based on what your parents want you will end up resenting them for stopping you from doing something you really want to do.

Parents opened up after i explained it all to em.
Took some time but it's all good now.
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Aug 2021, 8:17 pm

Snoopy.gif
Snoopy.gif (65.35 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 01 Aug 2021, 8:21 pm

That's the way mate, good to hear.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Downunder » 05 Aug 2021, 5:33 pm

Shootermick wrote:When I was young, a long time ago, my .22 and 12g lived under my bed. Things have changed, and definitely for the better.
Tell Mum and Dad you’re getting a safe. No one will even know it’s there.

They lived leaning up in the corner of what passed as a living room when I was a kid, right next to the little portable black n white box with the rabbit ears that never stopped snowing.....

Later in life when I was booted from the nest at 14 I went to the wild NT where a 30 O6 as well as a pump 12G lived on a rack in the rear window of my HQ Ute....
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws