Police denying applications?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Police denying applications?

Post by Aussie_Vic » 04 Aug 2021, 10:02 am

Quick question

Are police denying applications due to COVID 19 and are there certain dates you can apply for your fire arm license. I’m wanting to apply for my category A or B in September when I turn 18.

Cheers
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Police denying applications?

Post by Harrynsw » 04 Aug 2021, 10:37 am

Probably ring up your local station, they might have additional information.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 04 Aug 2021, 11:02 am

In all states police need one of several specific reasons to deny an application and Covid or any pandemic or state of emergency emergency isn't included in that list, any rejected application can also be appealed.

What they can do is put the applications on a pile and just not look at them and there's no appeal process for that, they also divert resources away from licensing sections so the wait time is ever growing in all states and there are no consequences for that on their side either.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 Aug 2021, 11:35 am

G'day Aussie_Vic,
No, absolutely not. Application process has slowed down significantly due to manpower reductions as a result of Covid restrictions but LRD are absolutely not denying applications. Available dates for the Safety Course have reduced for the same reason, contact LRD or website for more info, but remember DFO's no longer exclusively co-ordinate courses and private organizations like Geelong Firearms Courses can run them, book early as places may be limited, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 04 Aug 2021, 12:09 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Aussie_Vic,
No, absolutely not. Application process has slowed down significantly due to manpower reductions as a result of Covid restrictions but LRD are absolutely not denying applications. Available dates for the Safety Course have reduced for the same reason, contact LRD or website for more info, but remember DFO's no longer exclusively co-ordinate courses and private organizations like Geelong Firearms Courses can run them, book early as places may be limited, Cheers.

Since I’m a member of SSAA eagle park range I’ve booked in there for the fire arm safety course just a matter now of me completing the course and applying
For a license
Cheers for the help
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 04 Aug 2021, 1:13 pm

What do these dates mean?. It’s a silly question but better to ask then wonder. Will I still be able to apply for my license this year or wait until next year when they update their dates.?

Cheers
Attachments
835A2267-F80F-4C4E-9A04-520987F51283.jpeg
835A2267-F80F-4C4E-9A04-520987F51283.jpeg (168.42 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 Aug 2021, 4:54 pm

G'day Aussie_Vic,
It is intended to show what stage they are up to with processing and is wildly inaccurate, ie: currently processing renewals from June 11, so 6 weeks behind on something that should take no more than 4 weeks maximum. Submit your application as soon as you have completed your course, it will take a month (28 days) minimum to receive your Interim Licence and Payment slip as it is a new application but your actual card may take 6 to 8 weeks. I am about to submit my renewal due on the 7th September, and will be deemed licenced from the moment they receive it regardless of whether they get the payment card back to by the due date or not. Hopefully they will be back to speed soon, Desperate Dan willing, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 08 Aug 2021, 4:32 pm

They aren't denying them but I got an email from my club the other day saying that the process had been slowed down significantly and some members had their licences renewal lapse because they have waited so long for lrd to process it.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Bugman » 08 Aug 2021, 6:06 pm

linkoln wrote:They aren't denying them but I got an email from my club the other day saying that the process had been slowed down significantly and some members had their licences renewal lapse because they have waited so long for lrd to process it.

I don't know in which state you are situated, but in NSW if you licence renewal has not been finalised by the due date on the licence itself after you have applied for the renewal and this renewal application has been acknowledged as received by FAR, you are still considered a valid licence holder until such time as FAR has issued the renewal. I don't think this situation has changed.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by linkoln » 09 Aug 2021, 11:56 am

Bugman wrote:
linkoln wrote:They aren't denying them but I got an email from my club the other day saying that the process had been slowed down significantly and some members had their licences renewal lapse because they have waited so long for lrd to process it.

I don't know in which state you are situated, but in NSW if you licence renewal has not been finalised by the due date on the licence itself after you have applied for the renewal and this renewal application has been acknowledged as received by FAR, you are still considered a valid licence holder until such time as FAR has issued the renewal. I don't think this situation has changed.

Yeah the club sent an email with the legislation saying as long as you had sent in your renewal before the due date your licence will continue until until a determination is made on the renewal.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Griffo1337 » 10 Aug 2021, 12:57 pm

If it helps, I got my payment notice a day or so ago, and I received the 'we got your paperwork' email confirmation 27th May, so it does take a while.
I'd say if you're submitting in September you should be right in time for a great Christmas present!
Griffo1337
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws