Firearms and Other Acts Amendment Bill 2021

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Firearms and Other Acts Amendment Bill 2021

Post by Fionn » 09 Sep 2021, 8:34 am

Anyone have details about what changes are purposed in the Firearms and Other Acts Amendment Bill 2021

The Victorian Government is strengthening laws around the safe use of firearms with the introduction of the Firearms and Other Acts Amendment Bill 2021 to Parliament today.

The Bill proposes a number of amendments to the Firearms Act 1996, including changes that will reduce the incidence of firearm thefts, enhance firearms storage requirements and tighten regulatory standards for when licensed dealers hire, loan, send and dispose of firearms.

Firearm theft remains an ongoing concern in Victoria, with stolen firearms representing a significant community safety risk if they enter the unregulated market and come into the possession of organised crime groups. The proposed changes will ensure appropriate regulations are in place to prevent misuse within the community.

https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/gun-theft-targeted-proposed-changes-firearms-law
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Firearms and Other Acts Amendment Bill 2021

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 09 Sep 2021, 10:58 am

Victorian dealers can get cat E(automatics) whilst dealers in other states can not get automatics. If this is about dealers and “security“ I would dare say maybe it has something to do with that.

Also, remember that case when the Victorian police arrested a dealer and took him to court over missing paperwork or something like that. Turns out it in court it was the police who lost the paper work and the police were left rather embarrassed. Then they tried to shutdown his security licence.

Dan Andrews government were embarrassed by a firearms dealer now they are trying to change the law?

How do you prevent misuse in the community? That is a rather ridiculous statement. The Darwin mass shooter in 2019 was on parole, used a stolen unregistered shotgun and HAD AN ANCKLE MONITOR ON DURING THE SHOOTING. What other law could we put on the books to prevent that from happening?
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ZaineB » 09 Sep 2021, 12:07 pm

we have malevolent leaders here in this country, when are people going to drop the denial?
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Sep 2021, 12:27 pm

I have not yet seen the proposals, but for a while now there have been whispers that we will be brought into line with other States regarding safe storage. This is all flowing from National Laws meetings by senior Police, as Vic legislation is quite loose compared to other States and they want to change some things such as allowing wooden containers for storage, wall and door thickness which our Act doesn't specify etc. Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 10 Sep 2021, 12:33 am

New bill written by the poison pen of VIC Police Minister, Lisa Neville.
Who was hugely embarrassed after the community backlash from her false statements that licensed firearms owners are a huge domestic violence risk.

Looks like it's spiteful payback time, I suspect this new bill is going to target dealers and licensed shooters, plus there will be some unrelated sensible legislation in there in the hope of pushing it through on the back of that.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 10 Sep 2021, 8:45 am

The bill has been uploaded to legislation.vic.gov.au now.

For those interested in reasoning for the changes read the Explanatory Memorandum

Here is a link

https://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/bills/firearms-and-other-acts-amendment-bill-2021
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 10 Sep 2021, 10:43 am

So looks like they are installing a grandfather clause. So you can keep your pumps and straight pulls when they ban them but the new shooters can't possess them hence trying to kill off the influx of new shooters buying Warwicks and 7615s etc.

“New section 3C operates as a grandfathering provision. In the event that the Chief Commissioner makes a temporary or permanent declaration to reclassify a firearm to a higher category in accordance with section 3A or 3B of the Firearms Act 1996, new section 3C empowers the Chief Commissioner to allow a licence holder to retain a reclassified firearm on an existing licence or to renew an existing licence for the purposes of retaining the reclassified firearms on that licence. The Chief Commissioner must notify in writing the person of the Chief Commissioner's decision, which may be by means of electronic communication.“
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Sep 2021, 11:06 am

Sensible changes very much in line with expectations, so much for those waffling on about "the're all out to get us" nonsense before ever reading the proposals. As we thought the ability to store Cat A/B in wooden cabinets has been removed and a minimum wall thickness for safes of 1.6mm introduced, so we can't use Brownbuilt Lockers anymore. This brings us more inline with National requirements and makes A/B storage the same as C/D, no big deal, in fact a much better idea to make theft harder. The other part is actually PRO-GUNOWNER in it's introduction of Law to allow Grandfathering of re-classified firearms, so when the Savage A22R is changed to Cat C those who currently have one will be allowed to retain it on their Cat A licence, a great idea and very much in our favour and a slap in the face for the anti-gun nutters.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 10 Sep 2021, 11:27 am

A grandfather clause is not pro gun owner mate. It shows ulterior motives and creates a divide amongst owners purely based on the fact that something was bought before a certain date but can no longer be circulated.

If they were serious about grandfather clauses we would of been given the chance to register our self loading longarms.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Sep 2021, 11:43 am

No1Mk3 wrote:Sensible changes very much in line with expectations, so much for those waffling on about "the're all out to get us" nonsense before ever reading the proposals. As we thought the ability to store Cat A/B in wooden cabinets has been removed and a minimum wall thickness for safes of 1.6mm introduced, so we can't use Brownbuilt Lockers anymore. This brings us more inline with National requirements and makes A/B storage the same as C/D, no big deal, in fact a much better idea to make theft harder. The other part is actually PRO-GUNOWNER in it's introduction of Law to allow Grandfathering of re-classified firearms, so when the Savage A22R is changed to Cat C those who currently have one will be allowed to retain it on their Cat A licence, a great idea and very much in our favour and a slap in the face for the anti-gun nutters.

Yep, agree. And 1.5mm is still a pretty cheap Safe. My lockaway is about double that. Just annoys me how they introduce this stuff. Lockers have effectively been banned for yonks even with the act saying it's OK.

We may not like some change but grandfathering causes a lot less grief for everyone IMO.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 10 Sep 2021, 1:00 pm

Agree with communismcancer.
Grandfather clause means they intend to re-categorise or effectively ban something.
What other possible reason could it be for.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 10 Sep 2021, 6:49 pm

I mean, grandfathering means I can keep what I have, but it feels like the calm before the storm. It would mean they could ban guns without worrying about those already out there. Seems like a good way to appease some while shutting out types of firearms to new shooters.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 10 Sep 2021, 7:04 pm

It’s worrisome because they’re not shy to ban something relatively new on the market. Not too many people to screw over.
So this makes me wonder if they intend to ban something widely owned and used.
And i don’t think it is the savage a22r. I know that slipped through. But theres honestly no way you can convert it to a semi.
There’s no getting around it’s action.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 10 Sep 2021, 7:16 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Sensible changes very much in line with expectations, so much for those waffling on about "the're all out to get us" nonsense before ever reading the proposals.

I agree with you, very sensible changes.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 10 Sep 2021, 8:10 pm

Fionn wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:Sensible changes very much in line with expectations, so much for those waffling on about "the're all out to get us" nonsense before ever reading the proposals.

I agree with you, very sensible changes.

I agree that they are sensible, I'm more concerned about what comes next. The storage requirements being updated though, I see that as a good thing. No problems with that part.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Sep 2021, 8:35 pm

Definitely nothing to rejoice about.
They're obviously preparing to further restrict shooters by putting firearms into categories out of our reach.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 10 Sep 2021, 9:48 pm

Anybody who thinks these are sensible changes needs to hand in their licence it's nothing more than another gun grab inch by bloody inch all we need to do is look up any arsehole who steals again or uses a gun in a crime for 30 years minimum but it's really easy to pick on the LOFO
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by 1886 » 12 Sep 2021, 1:15 pm

But if these proposals are true it would seem you guys are in for some trouble unless NSC comes through as SSAA won't.

https://www.nationalshooting.org.au/vic ... 7fd25b91a0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 12 Sep 2021, 1:37 pm

This is why I do not believe in compromise because it just never ends. People were outraged in 1990 when licenses were established in Queensland. Then 1996 happened, then pistols in 2002, then the riverman and the lever action debacle. It just never ends.

The worst part is a lot of shooters have Stockholm Syndrome and love what has happened. Imagine getting told you need a genuine reason to buy a cricket bat and you must buy a rigid container made of solid steel and bolt it to the frame or floor of a permanent building because we said so. .

It does not need to be so difficult. If you are not a criminal or a mental patient than buy whatever your wallet will allow. Keeps things much simpler.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Sep 2021, 2:22 pm

I don't like the creep either. But what is the solution? No point winging here. Preaching to the converted.

And from where I'm standing SFFP doesn't seem to be achieving much.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 12 Sep 2021, 3:04 pm

Yes thats a good word oldbloke. The creep. I think a lot of shooters can accept the semi auto but you compound it all and it just never stops.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 12 Sep 2021, 3:37 pm

The c@nts!
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Sep 2021, 4:02 pm

Firearms need to be restricted in some way. We don't let any idiot fly planes or drive B Doubles for example because if operated by idiots there could be deadly consequenses. In those examples industry is consulted. But in the firearms industry there seems to be no consultation with industry or clubs/users. Really only cops and greenie seem to get a say.

Only with meaningful consultation will there be good common sense legislation.

That's what needs to be fixed for a long term solution. And not just lip service. How that can be achieved I have no idea. I just watch the creep.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 12 Sep 2021, 4:16 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Firearms need to be restricted in some way. We don't let any idiot fly planes or drive B Doubles for example because if operated by idiots there could be deadly consequenses. In those examples industry is consulted. But in the firearms industry there seems to be no consultation with industry or clubs/users. Really only cops and greenie seem to get a say.

Only with meaningful consultation will there be good common sense legislation.

That's what needs to be fixed for a long term solution. And not just lip service. How that can be achieved I have no idea. I just watch the creep.

Could not agree more OB, but it would seem that these decisions are made by overpaid bureaucrats with a hidden agenda and bugger anyone else.
I fear that this type of mentality could spread to other states. Yes we need fair and reasonable firearm laws etc, but with correct consultation of those in the direct know.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 12 Sep 2021, 4:25 pm

The community is safe if I keep my 10 round magazine pistol in my secure storage and drive to a range to shoot it. If I put an 11 round magazine in it and drive to my farm to shoot it the community becomes unsafe. Go figure.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Sep 2021, 4:30 pm

Yep, in Vic for all intense and purposes worksafe writes/reviews the OHS Act and regulations. However the process includes lengthy discussions with unions, industry, lawyers and a few more I guess.

When the Australian Standards are written/reviewed much the same as above happens. The results although never perfect are always very good.

But not for firearms. I'm happy with most of the requirements and think they are a reasonable balance. We can't always get what we want in life. BUT a few are out right stupid. And the way they try to sneak the changes in pisses me off.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Sep 2021, 4:38 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:The community is safe if I keep my 10 round magazine pistol in my secure storage and drive to a range to shoot it. If I put an 11 round magazine in it and drive to my farm to shoot it the community becomes unsafe. Go figure.

Yep, but I would have issue with anyone having 5 x 20 round maps for a 223 semi. They need to draw a line some where, but also needs to be balance, hence consultation. It will never be easy though.

Some will say all or nothing.

I've said for a long time, after a probation period (say, 3 years after getting license) shooters should have access to 1 or 2 semi's. But always get caned. IMO it would be a compromise.

I also hate look a like laws. Plainly stupid.

Next a lump of water pipe will look like a pipe bomb, as a stupid example.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Sep 2021, 4:41 pm

Duplicate
Last edited by Oldbloke on 12 Sep 2021, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Sep 2021, 4:45 pm

There are 3 key reasons the laws are fukd.

The people who currently write them have:

Agendas
Poor knowledge/experience
Are Stupid
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Sep 2021, 4:57 pm

Soo, just got this from NSC. A huge concern.

https://www.nationalshooting.org.au/vic ... 7b07e6d410
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws