DELWP registration of interes and maintaining genuine reason

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

DELWP registration of interes and maintaining genuine reason

Post by dpskipper » 13 Sep 2021, 1:12 am

gday lads. I helped a friend get their licence last year, and we used the DELWP "Registration of Interest for hunting pest animals on Crown land" form to satisfy the genuine reason. A year has passed and said friend has contacted me and is asking if they need to register for another one, since the original they used for the licence is valid for 12 months. I'd very much assume so yes, since no valid genuine reason = no valid reason to keep licence. Correct?
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: DELWP registration of interes and maintaining genuine re

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Sep 2021, 1:28 am

G'day dpskipper,
No, the form is only needed to get or renew the Licence. LRD, or any other body for that matter, have no way of knowing what other reasons may have happened in the intervening time and so never ask. When renewal time comes around get another "Expression of Interest", Or join a club whose membership automatically fullfils "Genuine Need" such as SSAA, F&G, Deestalkers etc etc, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 13 Sep 2021, 1:33 am

No1Mk3 wrote:No, the form is only needed to get or renew the Licence.

So, lets pretend Mr Plod comes around for a safe inspection. All is passed with flying colors, then wants to see proof of genuine reason (as i've heard mumblings of NSW cops doing recently) what happens then?
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 13 Sep 2021, 6:42 am

This is why genuine reason Is such a scam. It serves no purpose. Pay $35 a year to shooters union and that is a genuine reason. Don't pay them $35 and you are in breech of licence conditions under the code SC2.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Sep 2021, 7:46 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day dpskipper,
No, the form is only needed to get or renew the Licence. LRD, or any other body for that matter, have no way of knowing what other reasons may have happened in the intervening time and so never ask. When renewal time comes around get another "Expression of Interest", Or join a club whose membership automatically fullfils "Genuine Need" such as SSAA, F&G, Deestalkers etc etc, Cheers

Correct and he is in Vic game license is also ok.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Sep 2021, 9:47 am

dpskipper wrote:gday lads. I helped a friend get their licence last year, and we used the DELWP "Registration of Interest for hunting pest animals on Crown land" form to satisfy the genuine reason. A year has passed and said friend has contacted me and is asking if they need to register for another one, since the original they used for the licence is valid for 12 months. I'd very much assume so yes, since no valid genuine reason = no valid reason to keep licence. Correct?

Nope, it's only for licence application and renewal.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 13 Sep 2021, 11:21 am

Oldbloke wrote:

Thanks for the replies lads. But i'm still unsure about the whole thing. Assume a cop insists on seeing the genuine reason for the licence (expecting something like a SSAA membership), hows it going to look when an expired document from DELWP is handed over? Can someone point me to some vic legislation that outlines how a licence that was obtained via this DELWP document isn't considered invalid the second the DELWP document is too?

I find the whole thing a little confusing. Expired club membership = getting your door kicked in. Expired expression of interest from DELWP = nothing...?
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Sep 2021, 12:18 pm

dpskipper wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Thanks for the replies lads. But i'm still unsure about the whole thing. Assume a cop insists on seeing the genuine reason for the licence (expecting something like a SSAA membership), hows it going to look when an expired document from DELWP is handed over? Can someone point me to some vic legislation that outlines how a licence that was obtained via this DELWP document isn't considered invalid the second the DELWP document is too?

I find the whole thing a little confusing. Expired club membership = getting your door kicked in. Expired expression of interest from DELWP = nothing...?

In Victoria, public land is for the public to enjoy their lawful pursuits. Hunting pest animals is lawful and requires nobody's permission. If you apply for a licence for a different genuine reason, like competition, then the law requires continued membership of approved clubs for that purpose. The law does not require continued proof of an interest in hunting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 13 Sep 2021, 12:29 pm

bladeracer wrote:The law does not require continued proof of an interest in hunting.

Thankyou for the clarification.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 13 Sep 2021, 2:25 pm

Sounds similar to the NSW 'recreational pest/vermin control' licence. You apply with permission from a property owner and thats that. You don't need continual permission, just the one at the start.

I've had my licence for over a decade and its honestly never come up. I don't think the 'genuine reason' is a part of the check, simpy that your licence is current and your gear is secure per whatever state regs you're governed by.

Hell, there was a few year stretch when my kids were very little where I didn't get out hunting OR pest controlling. Does that mean my licence isn't valid? No. Just means during that period I didn't pursue use of the firearms which I legally own under said licence.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by MontyShooter » 13 Sep 2021, 2:30 pm

That reminds me. I wonder if the gma licence will be free again this year due to covid.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws