Gel Blasters banned in Vic... I thought they already were?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Gel Blasters banned in Vic... I thought they already were?

Post by InisBineest » 01 Oct 2021, 3:11 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... vi-AAOZzno

Weren't these things already illegal in Vic?

Side note: The older chap who pulled a gel blaster on the cops, notice the Sea Shepard Shirt?
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Gel Blasters banned in Vic... I thought they already wer

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2021, 4:52 pm

InisBineest wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/gel-blasters-made-illegal-in-victoria-after-being-used-in-serious-crimes/vi-AAOZzno

Weren't these things already illegal in Vic?

Side note: The older chap who pulled a gel blaster on the cops, notice the Sea Shepard Shirt?

I think they have always been illegal simply because they replicate a firearm, so they require licencing as a genuine firearm to be possessed, the same as a piece of wood carved and painted to look like a firearm.
This just seems to be an additional, and totally unnecessary law that adds nothing.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 01 Oct 2021, 9:31 pm

InisBineest wrote:

You know who else has them? My partner has one, they are a senior academic. Come back when you have a real point.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by InisBineest » 01 Oct 2021, 10:07 pm

bah! wrote:
InisBineest wrote:

You know who else has them? My partner has one, they are a senior academic. Come back when you have a real point.

I just thought it odd a greenie with a gun:) Even a toy one at that.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 01 Oct 2021, 11:10 pm

Look 90% of the people with sea Shepard tees don't even know they're vegan. As for greenie with a gun, if you have an extractive hobby, and aren't pro conservation, you didn't really think this through.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by InisBineest » 02 Oct 2021, 7:32 am

bah! wrote:Look 90% of the people with sea Shepard tees don't even know they're vegan. As for greenie with a gun, if you have an extractive hobby, and aren't pro conservation, you didn't really think this through.

Well, you'll have to forgive me for being confused when I see a fellow associating with an organisation that is militantly anti-gun, who is the pointing a replica gun at police. I make no argument further than the simple fact that I find that odd.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 02 Oct 2021, 8:11 am

InisBineest wrote: I see a fellow associating with an organisation that is militantly anti-gun

I don't think you can be militantly anti-gun.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by InisBineest » 02 Oct 2021, 8:56 am

bah! wrote:
InisBineest wrote: I see a fellow associating with an organisation that is militantly anti-gun

I don't think you need a gun to be militant. Have you read any greens party policy on firearms? As they say, the pen is mightier than the sword.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 02 Oct 2021, 9:26 am

Plenty of good ideas in the greens gun policy, especially the stuff about violence orders etc cancelling licenses. As for fees covering governmental costs, seems fine. Most of the people here whine about wanting "user pays" systems for everything else?
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by InisBineest » 02 Oct 2021, 9:55 am

bah! wrote:Plenty of good ideas in the greens gun policy, especially the stuff about violence orders etc cancelling licenses. As for fees covering governmental costs, seems fine. Most of the people here whine about wanting "user pays" systems for everything else?

As with any political party, good will be mixed in with the bad. On the balance of it though, I can't agree personally that the greens have anything good to offer the law abiding firearms community. The little policy they offer that is decent is already offered by just about every other party, but they have plenty of bad policy to offer that other parties (mostly) lack.

https://greens.org.au/nsw/policies/firearms

That all said, this has little to do with gel blasters in Vic. So my apologies for getting side tracked.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Oct 2021, 4:54 pm

bah! wrote:

Militant: favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political, social cause or agenda.

Militant vegan comes to mind

Gun Control Australia are definitely a militant anti-firearms group.

Animal liberation groups are also often militant
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by disco stu » 02 Oct 2021, 6:04 pm

It's all China's fault.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Oct 2021, 6:38 pm

disco stu wrote:It's all China's fault.
:roll:

Yes, they've infiltrated our firearms branches, introduced silly new rules to cause division, hostility, mistrust and feelings of resentment towards our government and between different groups within our society.
The art of war at work :allegedly:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by InisBineest » 02 Oct 2021, 7:23 pm

Well that escalated quickly :P
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 02 Oct 2021, 9:17 pm

InisBineest wrote:

Sorry, I thought we were supposed to talk about China for every topic on here :D :D

I think that thread by Die Judici about lockdowns took 2 posts to be completely about China :lol:
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 02 Oct 2021, 9:37 pm

disco stu wrote:
InisBineest wrote:

Sorry, I thought we were supposed to talk about China for every topic on here :D :D

I think that thread by Die Judici about lockdowns took 2 posts to be completely about China :lol:

Bahaha, doesn't take long to derail hey:D My Wife is a former Chinese citizen... if you ever want to hear about how rubbish it is there, i'll give you her number:P
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 02 Oct 2021, 11:29 pm

I gather she is glad to be Australian now
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 03 Oct 2021, 7:49 am

disco stu wrote:I gather she is glad to be Australian now

Quite so
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Oct 2021, 9:08 am

disco stu wrote:
InisBineest wrote:

What lockdowns thread is that? :unknown: :sarcasm:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by stihl88 » 19 Jul 2023, 12:00 pm

To answer the original question to the best of my knowledge Gel Blasters (the mechanism) aren't banned/illegal it's just that 99% of them are classed as "imitation firearm" in appearance as Bladeracer suggested. So by definition you will require a Chief Commissioner’s Prohibited Weapons Approval or Governor in Council exemption to be manufactured, possessed, carried, used, sold or imported in the State of Victoriato. A kids toy cap gun technically and for good reason as law enforcement find it difficult to distinguish between an imitation or real firearm when responding to an incident, there's been numerous examples of kids being shot by police after pulling airsoft/gel blasters and aiming at the officer.

There are plenty of Australian law firm pages that allude to Gel Blaster being "illegal" however the word illegal shouldn't even come into it as you can still own an imitation firearm/gel gun with the aforementioned approval.

The 1% of Gel Blasters that do not resemble a firearm or are modified in appearance enough to not qualify as an imitation firearm are as far as I'm aware fully legal to own and operate in Victoria as there is no particular law that i know of which makes the Gel Blaster "mechanism" illegal to own, just it's appearance.

VicPol have a guide here on what may/may not constitute a replica firearm. https://www.police.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2018-11/Quick-Guide----Imitation-toys-and-paraphernalia_July-2014_0.pdf

Here's a Gel Blaster that is probably perfectly legal to own under this guideline https://gelstorm.com.au/
Last edited by stihl88 on 20 Jul 2023, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 19 Jul 2023, 12:56 pm

It's a bit gay though isn't it
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by stihl88 » 19 Jul 2023, 5:06 pm

Yeah it's got a big old upside down nutsack on it alright but the point is that it's legal to own regardless whether you vote yes or no, hell take the guts out and bolt it into a Nerf then... I hear that if Biden and his ATF get their way they'll be replacing all the "Assault Rifles" with these pea shooters...!
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 19 Jul 2023, 6:48 pm

Nevertheless thanks for your Victoria specific informative post. They’re quite popular in some other states but no go for us.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by stihl88 » 20 Jul 2023, 8:49 am

Yes they are a go for us, even the "imitation" variety but first for the 99% of Gel Blasters on the market you'll just need a Chief Commissioner’s Prohibited Weapons Approval or Governor in Council Exemption to possess, carry, use, offer for sale or import an imitation firearm otherwise just buy the top loading 1% non-imitation "toy" variety such as the Gelstorm without said approval and you're good to go in Victoria.
Attachments
Gel Storm.png
Gel Storm.png (487.73 KiB) Viewed 4075 times
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 20 Jul 2023, 9:16 am

Is there a mandatory waiting period if this is my first gel blaster
Will I need to register it.
Will the number need to be engraved or would crayon suffice
Will I need to store it in a toy safe and have police inspections.
Can I use plastic dynabolts to secure it to wall and or floor in my play room.
Does ammo need to be stored separately in my toy box
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by stihl88 » 20 Jul 2023, 8:14 pm

womble wrote:Is there a mandatory waiting period if this is my first gel blaster
Will I need to register it.
Will the number need to be engraved or would crayon suffice
Will I need to store it in a toy safe and have police inspections.
Can I use plastic dynabolts to secure it to wall and or floor in my play room.
Does ammo need to be stored separately in my toy box

Naughty naughty! Looks like someone hasn't been doing their reading, take a look at the guide attached earlier for answers to your questions. https://www.police.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2018-11/Quick-Guide----Imitation-toys-and-paraphernalia_July-2014_0.pdf

To answer your questions or anyone else who's come here looking for guidance on the subject storage requirements are as follows;

How must I store my imitation firearms?
Imitation handguns and longarms must be stored safely and securely in a manner to ensure that;

• The imitation firearms are not readily accessible to others;

• The imitation firearms are not available for possession, carriage or use by
others unless they are also holders of a Chief Commissioner of Police
Approval (Prohibited Weapons) issued for the same reason or are
otherwise exempt (if applicable); and

• When being transported between the usual place of storage and places at
which the imitation firearms are legitimately used (reason of which is
stated in this authority), they are stored in a manner that is not readily
accessible to others and concealed from plain sight.

Exemptions
There are exemptions from requiring CC of GIC approval to own imitation firearms, exempted clubs and organizations are outlined in a General Exemption Order published on 30 June 2011 in the Victoria Government Gazette G26 (pp 1551-1557).

Example; RSL displays where imitation military firearms are on display, members of such organizations are provided default exemption under the gazetted GE order outlined above.

EDIT: I note that the most recent latest GIC Gazette has now removed blanket exemption for Gel Blasters therefore in this example an RSL member cannot display a Gel Blaster that is classed as an Imitation Firearm.
Last edited by stihl88 on 21 Jul 2023, 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 Jul 2023, 4:20 am

I don’t think they fall into the category of imitation firearms
They discharge “other missile” via compressed air
https://www.police.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2018-11/What-is-a-firearm-v-1-1_2.pdf

I see where you’re going in as they don’t have the appearance, but I think that’s subjective because appearance laws are non descript . In as whatever they decide in the moment.

Yes I’ve been flippant because I don’t take any of gel blaster is a weapon nonsense very seriously. I think it’s ridiculous. No other country in the world regards them as we do in some states of Australia.
They’re totally harmless .
The argument against is based on someone being stupid enough to point one at a policeman. And therefore that incredibly brainless individual should be the measure of legislation for all.
And that’s wrong. Sometimes the law is wrong.
I’m not going to break the law because I have no interest in owning gel blasters. But I’m not condemning anyone that does.
And people do. I’ve seen them in vic. I’ve seen people get them through Aus post from Qld. And I’ve seen people having fun with them.
And am firmly of the opinion that police should focus their resources on chasing real criminals. And I suspect they would agree.
Instead of having to arrest some kid for shooting his sister with a ball of jelly. Because that’s exactly what you should do to your sister after you’ve lined up all her barbie dolls and executed them.
Last edited by womble on 21 Jul 2023, 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 Jul 2023, 4:46 am

And Singapore dose’nt count. Because you can’t even let a fart rip in Singapore without being arrested
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by stihl88 » 21 Jul 2023, 11:45 am

We have the following definition that specifically defines Gel Blasters as Imitation Firearms;
Gel Blaster Imitation Firearm.png
Gel Blaster Imitation Firearm.png (121.66 KiB) Viewed 4026 times

The VicPol guide clearly defines what is deemed an Imitation firearm vs a Toy. Yes 99% of Gel Blasters fall into the Imitation category based on their appearance but the 1% such as the "Gel Storm" are classed as toys based also on their appearance therefore are not governed by any meaningful form of legislation i am aware of. https://www.police.vic.gov.au/sites/def ... 2014_0.pdf

Specifically, appearance laws give powers to the Chief Commissioner to deem a certain category of firearm as another category based on appearance and not function. And although this provision of law exists, to date I'm not aware of any specific firearm being re-categorised in Victoria...yet...!

Once could argue however that toys with the appearance of a "real firearm" have been categorised as an imitation firearm based on their appearance, however it is non specific in that they haven't singled out a particular brand, model etc and it's open to interpretation on what fits the definition of Imitation Firearm and the VicPol guide is a good place to start but at the end of the day it's a guide only and non specific.
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 Jul 2023, 3:58 pm

Well done. Your argument is solid. :thumbsup:
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws