New secure storage laws - August 2022

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

New secure storage laws - August 2022

Post by bladeracer » 12 Feb 2022, 11:51 am

New Secure Storage Laws from August 30.
Essentially, it finally removes the hardwood cabinet.

Safes must be purpose-built for firearm storage, of steel at least 1.6mm thick, with a lock of "sturdy" construction.

Probably only likely to effect less than 1% of owners.

The "purpose built" seems odd as it would seem to apply to anything of any shape or size as long as you build it to store firearms, it is made of 1.6mm steel, and has a sturdy lock. I can't see it really being an issue though. Nothing about recessed door, internal hinges, or how many locking pins so it does make it significantly cheaper and easier to build your own safe, or have one commissioned.

And this spec is for Cat A, B, C, D & H.

Still allows not bolting it down if over 150kg, which is odd.

Might hurt shops trying to sell $1000 safes I guess.
Attachments
2022The_Firearms_Bulletin.pdf
(87.93 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: New secure storage laws - August 2022

Post by MontyShooter » 12 Feb 2022, 12:14 pm

Purpose built might catch those using old bank safes
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 12 Feb 2022, 12:30 pm

Looks good for Victorians.

But the "purpose built" part concerns me a little. You could have a bank safe like mentioned above, designed to withstand a nuclear blast and protect millions of dollars, but it potentially fails because it's not designed for firearms. While a cheap bodged together thing that is barely legal could be alright, purely because it was designed for firearms, with the "firearms design" being a trimmed piece of EVA foam in the back to hold the barrels.

What about slapping a Spika sticker on your bank safe and saying it's an old discontinued model :)
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by disgraziato » 12 Feb 2022, 12:34 pm

Fairly certain (or hope) a bank safe or anything else that would exceed a purpose built safe would pass the sniff test. This change is surely aimed at those using the old repurposed metal cabinet with a padlock pop riveted on?
disgraziato
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Feb 2022, 1:23 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Purpose built might catch those using old bank safes

It might indeed.
I don't know if they've removed the bit about Commissioner's Approval.

It's an odd way to phrase a law for sure.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 12 Feb 2022, 2:18 pm

I think it’s a type of dolphin
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 12 Feb 2022, 4:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:
MontyShooter wrote:Purpose built might catch those using old bank safes

It might indeed.
I don't know if they've removed the bit about Commissioner's Approval.

It's an odd way to phrase a law for sure.

Its not odd really, the purpose is to allow it to be up to the discretion of the police to decide and to cover a lot of unknown circumstances. Its actually well written for that purpose from an enforcement side as you want it a "grey area", but in favour of enforcement.

But from a legal point, as it stands after August, the storage must be purpose built to store firearms, so bank vaults, shipping containers and toolboxes won't comply.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Feb 2022, 5:34 pm

womble wrote:I think it’s a type of dolphin

I know dolphins are intelligent but I just can't imagine them building safes :unknown:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 12 Feb 2022, 6:08 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
womble wrote:I think it’s a type of dolphin

I know dolphins are intelligent but I just can't imagine them building safes :unknown:

Can't imagine them building safes either but I wouldn't mind betting they'd do a far better job writing Firearms legislation
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Feb 2022, 9:05 pm

If nothing else they have removed the nonsense where the Act said wood was ok but the cops weren't allowing them. And they aren't setting the bar stupidly high.

But I agree bank Safe does not look safe......sorry, couldn't help myself.

Hopefully they apply common sense.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 13 Feb 2022, 6:44 am

I got a bit concerned the other day because I got 3 different answers from 3 different gunshops. Anywhere from 3mm to 6mm thickness required. So, I emailed LRD and the answer was basically, "we got nothing, hasn't been passed through parliament yet"
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 13 Feb 2022, 7:05 am

Purpose built.... so you take a bank safe, add in shelves/dividers to store the rifles.... viola purpose built safe.

Saying that if you got commissioners approval for your bank safe then I dib that can be cancelled
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 13 Feb 2022, 7:07 pm

madang55 wrote:I got a bit concerned the other day because I got 3 different answers from 3 different gunshops. Anywhere from 3mm to 6mm thickness required. So, I emailed LRD and the answer was basically, "we got nothing, hasn't been passed through parliament yet"

This probably shows the quality of advice offered by LRD.

The applicable Bill has been passed and assented to in the "Firearms and Other Acts Amendment Bill 2021"

It is however true to say that the "approved" amendments as yet have not been incorporated into the Firearms Act 1996 and also the several other applicable Acts
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 15 Feb 2022, 2:31 pm

Sarco wrote:
madang55 wrote:I got a bit concerned the other day because I got 3 different answers from 3 different gunshops. Anywhere from 3mm to 6mm thickness required. So, I emailed LRD and the answer was basically, "we got nothing, hasn't been passed through parliament yet"

The applicable Bill has been passed and assented to in the "Firearms and Other Acts Amendment Bill 2021"

It is however true to say that the "approved" amendments as yet have not been incorporated into the Firearms Act 1996 and also the several other applicable Acts

I have never had a problem with LRD. Their advice could never be of low quality because they would cop it big time. I'm guessing the answer was due maybe because it isn't written into law yet and been passed to them for action.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Feb 2022, 3:22 pm

madang55 wrote:
Sarco wrote:

I have never had a problem with LRD. Their advice could never be of low quality because they would cop it big time. I'm guessing the answer was due maybe because it isn't written into law yet and been passed to them for action.

I've had good and bad, when the answer is there but I missed they're happy to direct me to the right place. When it's more complicated, with no black or white answer in the legislation, they ignore my email, or they call me with an answer so I don't have a response in writing.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 15 Feb 2022, 8:41 pm

I don't have that type of confidence though I personally have never had any issues dealing with them,

It concerns me that the Firearms Act 1996 is very specific and clear at section 123C (1)(c)(iii) on the reporting requirements of attendances that clubs MUST report no more than 3 months following then end of the calendar year.

However advice given to one of my local clubs (VAPA Club), in writing, by the LRD, states clearly that they do not want handgun details reported eg. serial nos or Police Ref Nos.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws