Purchasing firearm interstate - Vic process time?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Purchasing firearm interstate - Vic process time?

Post by Clintwoodz » 08 Mar 2022, 1:21 pm

Hi all, new to this forum here,

can anyone tell me what is the wait time once vic dealer receives the gun from qld dealer?

I bought an air rifle from cleavers and still sitting in mialls for almost a month, asked a guy in mialls how long does it usually takes, he said theres no given timeframe, something to that effect, not too sure he was being honest or not. He asked me to call back on wednesday as my PTA expires on thursday. Thought that was bit off cos usually customer have to wait for mialls to call us when its ready to be picked up as I understand?

Thanks for listening
Clintwoodz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Purchasing firearm interstate - Vic process time?

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2022, 2:37 pm

Clintwoodz wrote:Hi all, new to this forum here,

can anyone tell me what is the wait time once vic dealer receives the gun from qld dealer?

I bought an air rifle from cleavers and still sitting in mialls for almost a month, asked a guy in mialls how long does it usually takes, he said theres no given timeframe, something to that effect, not too sure he was being honest or not. He asked me to call back on wednesday as my PTA expires on thursday. Thought that was bit off cos usually customer have to wait for mialls to call us when its ready to be picked up as I understand?

Thanks for listening

If you already have an approved permit there is absolutely no reason for the shop to be holding your rifle. Have you been into the shop and seen that your rifle actually exists?

I'm assuming you already have a licence if you have an approved permit.

I had one permit take about seven weeks I think, but it was during the height of covid. Generally the permit comes through the same day they send it in.
They are not my favourite dealer. I was buying two rifles from a guy that lives near them. So to save having to send them down here I agreed to meet him at the shop who would have the permits already sorted for us. I called them twice the week before to ensure they had them in the system and they assured me both times they would be back by the day we were meeting. I also had my dealer call them to confirm. I called again the morning I left to confirm they had them and was told "I can't see them here but they went in and will be back by now for sure." Of course, we get there two hours later and they know nothing about any permits...and it was Wednesday so we couldn't call Firearms.
I took the rifles back home and my dealer ran them immediately and I went straight home to shoot them. I've heard other stories that put me off having any dealings with them.

I forgot, they ran the permits after I left, so Firearms rang me wanting to know why I had lodged two permits each for the same two rifles...
Last edited by bladeracer on 08 Mar 2022, 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 08 Mar 2022, 3:30 pm

I wouldn't even bother getting the dealer to submit a permit now. You can do it yourself electronically and it's just as fast as the dealer. I got one in 3 days last week. Only costs $9.20 too.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2022, 3:38 pm

MontyShooter wrote:I wouldn't even bother getting the dealer to submit a permit now. You can do it yourself electronically and it's just as fast as the dealer. I got one in 3 days last week. Only costs $9.20 too.

So why not leave it to the dealer then, is there some advantage to doing it yourself?
My dealer only charges me $10 for the permit.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2022, 3:39 pm

MontyShooter wrote:I wouldn't even bother getting the dealer to submit a permit now. You can do it yourself electronically and it's just as fast as the dealer. I got one in 3 days last week. Only costs $9.20 too.

So why not leave it to the dealer then, is there some advantage to doing it yourself?
My dealer only charges me $10 for the permit.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 08 Mar 2022, 4:40 pm

Call them again. Talk to someone else.
Maybe something to do with first firearm.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bravs » 08 Mar 2022, 6:11 pm

If you have your PTA and they have your gun, I would just be going down there this Wednesday and tell them your picking up your gun. Ring them up in advance and tell them you're on your to pick it up.
Bravs
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Clintwoodz » 08 Mar 2022, 11:49 pm

Really appreciate u all, I do have a physical PTA on me, just not paid $9.20 yet, because they said I'd have to pay $125 interstate fee and that includes this $9.20 basically theyll pay PTA for me.. Or should I just go pay it myself at westpac...?
I did PTA online myself for first 2 CAT A rifles right after got my license, 1st one is LA101 crossover from Clayton, really simple, gave him PTA and rifle and ammo in boot, great service, this gun seems to like RWS hollow subs and CCI minimags.

Anyway I'll giveem a ring tomorrow and see what happens
Clintwoodz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bravs » 09 Mar 2022, 12:45 am

Wow, they're charging that much now for the transfer fee. Will not use Miall's again. There are other dealers nearby that doesnt charge as much.
Bravs
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2022, 1:35 am

Clintwoodz wrote:Really appreciate u all, I do have a physical PTA on me, just not paid $9.20 yet, because they said I'd have to pay $125 interstate fee and that includes this $9.20 basically theyll pay PTA for me.. Or should I just go pay it myself at westpac...?
I did PTA online myself for first 2 CAT A rifles right after got my license, 1st one is LA101 crossover from Clayton, really simple, gave him PTA and rifle and ammo in boot, great service, this gun seems to like RWS hollow subs and CCI minimags.

Anyway I'll giveem a ring tomorrow and see what happens

Is that including the freight on the rifle? If they want that just to transfer it to you tell them you'll do the transfer with another dealer, that is ridiculous.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bravs » 09 Mar 2022, 2:38 am

I think thats their interstate transfer fee. I had an Annie sent to Mialls last year. And they charged me $75. Will not be using them again for transfer.

Btw Clintwoodz, you should be able to take that unpaid PTA at Mialls and pay it there.
Bravs
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by womble » 09 Mar 2022, 2:50 am

Ask Mialls what your second hand rifle is worth if you really want a shock.
It will literally floor you and you will will be sitting there wondering what just happenned.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Clintwoodz » 09 Mar 2022, 11:56 am

Just rang them and they told me the gun is still not under mialls name yet and could take 2-3 more weeks :crazy:
Clintwoodz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2022, 2:38 pm

Clintwoodz wrote:Just rang them and they told me the gun is still not under mialls name yet and could take 2-3 more weeks :crazy:

Tell them to send it to another dealer then.
Maybe there's some truth to what they saying, but it sounds like rubbish to me. It only needs to be listed on their books, they don't need to wait for anything.
If it were the case they should be calling you every day or two apologising profusely for the delay, even if it's out of their hands.

I'd call Firearms and ask them what's going on with it. The few times I've had a prior approved permit I literally take the firearms into my gunshop (with the seller if they're local - just licence details if not), they write down our details, I sign the book, and they hand it back to me to take away. Usually I order a firearm from elsewhere, so I tell my dealer there's something coming. It arrives at the shop, she calls me and runs a permit, later that day she calls and tells me to come collect it. I pay $30-$50 for the transfer and permit and go shooting. Now that I have a lot of CatB it's more complicated. Rifle arrives at the shop, I get a call and she runs a permit, I then write a letter explaining why my current CatA/B firearms are not suitable for my purposes, email that to Firearms. I get a computer-generated letter asking for the above letter a few days after lodging the permit, by which time they already have my letter. During the second week my dealer rings to say the permit is approved, come collect my rifle. Once this took about seven weeks last November/December, other times I've managed it all within the week, but generally not more than two weeks. Maybe they've changed something in the system recently but I haven't of any issues. Now I think about it another member here chatted privately with me about a very long wait with the same shop for a rifle they already had in stock. I can't recall if there ever turned out to be a legitimate cause for it. He uses a different shop nowadays.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 09 Mar 2022, 7:04 pm

Last edited by linkoln on 12 Mar 2022, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Fionn » 09 Mar 2022, 7:41 pm

My local store doesn't charge anything to transfer a interstate firearm (or any) just the PTA cost if they do it. All they ask is that I give them the option on a new firearm to give a price first.

Not sure if its a standard policy or just because we have a built up relationship.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by womble » 10 Mar 2022, 2:49 am

40 bucks at my local
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws