nosy neighbours

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

nosy neighbours

Post by JustAnotherShooter » 11 Apr 2022, 9:48 am

G'day shooters :)
I've just applied for my A&B license and submitted a permit to acquire application, now I am thinking if/when the cops will show up to check the gun safe,
what I am going to tell my neighbours when they'll ask what the cops where doing at my place?
yes I have nosy neighbours and I don't like to advertise that I am getting license/firearm at home... pretty sure someone had same issues :D
JustAnotherShooter
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: nosy neighbours

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Apr 2022, 9:34 pm

IF they ask...You could tell your neighbours that the police were conducting a investigation into them (your neighbours) asking about suspicious smells, noises or unusual activity. That should be enough to keep the pricks honest for a few years.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 14 Apr 2022, 5:23 am

Coming from the barrels in their shed. Assuming you’re in SA.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 14 Apr 2022, 7:49 am

I guess I an see where you are coming from, but is it really any of their business? AND as on_one_wheel said.......go with that.
My neighbors have no idea what I have and have never asked when the plods come around, and I have lived here for 45 years.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 14 Apr 2022, 8:17 am

Just say they are following up on an enquiry which they are.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by geoff » 14 Apr 2022, 12:15 pm

Just tell them that the police came around to look for evidence of any drug manufacturing facilities, but it's all good, they didn't find your giant underground meth lab.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lsfan » 15 Apr 2022, 1:15 pm

I've wondered the same thing. You could say they are investigating a workplace incident, a theft or something and wanted a witness statement. I'm also curious to know if everyone has an inspection or some people have never had an inspection. I've had my licence and rifles for around 3 years and no inspection. Is it just a matter of time?
Along the same lines as the op though, I'm very careful even loading my car for the range to ensure noone sees me with rifle bags ammo boxes etc. I reverse my car up the driveway and open the back-door to block the view.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 15 Apr 2022, 5:47 pm

Lsfan wrote:I've wondered the same thing. You could say they are investigating a workplace incident, a theft or something and wanted a witness statement. I'm also curious to know if everyone has an inspection or some people have never had an inspection. I've had my licence and rifles for around 3 years and no inspection. Is it just a matter of time?
Along the same lines as the op though, I'm very careful even loading my car for the range to ensure noone sees me with rifle bags ammo boxes etc. I reverse my car up the driveway and open the back-door to block the view.

I was told that as soon as I got my first cat c firearm I’d get an inspection. Two years down the track since then and I haven’t.
Things like a change of address will sometimes trigger an inspection too, but it just seems so random. Different people have different stories, there doesn’t seem to be any real set rules.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 15 Apr 2022, 7:57 pm

I would just tell them it is part of your parole conditions.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 15 Apr 2022, 8:25 pm

Tell them they’re looking for the remains of the last neighbours.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by geoff » 15 Apr 2022, 9:15 pm

Shootermick wrote:
Lsfan wrote:I've wondered the same thing. You could say they are investigating a workplace incident, a theft or something and wanted a witness statement. I'm also curious to know if everyone has an inspection or some people have never had an inspection. I've had my licence and rifles for around 3 years and no inspection. Is it just a matter of time?

I was told that as soon as I got my first cat c firearm I’d get an inspection. Two years down the track since then and I haven’t.
Things like a change of address will sometimes trigger an inspection too, but it just seems so random. Different people have different stories, there doesn’t seem to be any real set rules.

I expected WAPOL might ask for an inspection when I got a Cat H for the first time but nope. I move house every 18 months, I thought that might trigger an inspection but nope.

Truth be told I've never had one
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by dpskipper » 21 Apr 2022, 11:55 am

Lsfan wrote: I've had my licence and rifles for around 3 years and no inspection. Is it just a matter of time?

decades here, without an inspection
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Apr 2022, 5:47 pm

Shootermick wrote:Tell them they’re looking for the remains of the last neighbours.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 21 Apr 2022, 6:14 pm

I have had a safe inspection 3 times and they were always in a plain car and only one uniformed constable and a detective in plain clothes
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by M3D1C » 22 Apr 2022, 12:02 am

It could 100% be none of their business.
M3D1C
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 22 Apr 2022, 1:12 am

Telling them it's none of their business will almost certainly make them even more interested
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 22 Apr 2022, 2:21 am

JustAnotherShooter wrote:G'day shooters :)
I've just applied for my A&B license and submitted a permit to acquire application, now I am thinking if/when the cops will show up to check the gun safe,
what I am going to tell my neighbours when they'll ask what the cops where doing at my place?
yes I have nosy neighbours and I don't like to advertise that I am getting license/firearm at home... pretty sure someone had same issues :D

ID say harden the f****** bro
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 Apr 2022, 7:29 am

tell the neighbours your working undercover and you can't talk about it ;)

or just make something up . someone broke into your workplace , your helping with enquires , ect .

or you could just not care and tell them to mind their own bloody business :P :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Apr 2022, 5:40 pm

bigrich wrote:tell the neighbours your working undercover and you can't talk about it ;)

or just make something up . someone broke into your workplace , your helping with enquires , ect .

or you could just not care and tell them to mind their own bloody business :P :thumbsup:

I like that.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Total_immortal » 06 Jan 2023, 4:18 pm

Who knows when they might even show up, I just had my very first inspection a few weeks ago but I've had guns for over 15 years
Total_immortal
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws