VIC licencing wait time?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

VIC licencing wait time?

Post by tomma89 » 20 May 2022, 7:56 pm

Hey All,

First off, I'm an A/B licence holder. Now I have a pal who wants to get into shooting and I'm waiting to sell him a shotgun when he recieves his license. How long is the licencing process in these crazy covid/ post covid times? As he lodged his application late Feb early March. Is this delay typical?

Cheers,
Tomma
tomma89
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: VIC licencing wait time?

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2022, 8:03 pm

tomma89 wrote:Hey All,

First off, I'm an A/B licence holder. Now I have a pal who wants to get into shooting and I'm waiting to sell him a shotgun when he recieves his license. How long is the licencing process in these crazy covid/ post covid times? As he lodged his application late Feb early March. Is this delay typical?

Cheers,
Tomma

I spoke to somebody today who is waiting on his CatA/B licence currently, didn't occur to me to ask when he applied though.

I would have him chase them up, he can tell them he's hoping not to miss out on a great deal on a shotgun.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 20 May 2022, 10:13 pm

Check the attached link.

Indicates current processing by LRD

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/firearms- ... plications
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 21 Jul 2022, 9:09 pm

Further to the above, my licence was due for renewal mid Jun 22.
Documentation was submitted to LRD early May, confirmation of receipt was received late June in response to an email sent early June. Licence expired mid June, but under the Firearms Act 1996 (as amended) as the renewal was received prior to expiry, no issue, can retain firearms and keep shooting.

Renewal documentation received in mail this week, off to the bank and paid, off to our local Vic Roads for picture all OK.

BUT - this is 10 weeks after application for renewal received and documents indicate that it was actually processed 1 month after my licence expired. As such, the processing dates on the LRD website appear to need to be taken with a very large grain of salt.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws