Applying for licence - Farmer/Club

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Applying for licence - Farmer/Club

Post by RJB79 » 01 Jul 2022, 7:41 pm

Hi everyone,
In the process of applying for a gun licence.
I have become a member of the SSAA but also have a farmer friend who said they would write me a letter.
I was just wondering if there are any advantages of waiting for the letter or is it worth just applying now as it always takes him a while to get around to these things? Can this also be submitted later?
Thanks in advance
RJ
RJB79
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Applying for licence - Farmer/Club

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Jul 2022, 6:09 pm

G'day RJB79,
If you joined SSAA you don't need a property letter at all as SSAA are an Approved Hunting organization for the purposes of the Act. The only need for a letter from a property owner or a "Registration of Interest to Hunt Pest Animals on Crown Land" from DPI, DELW or whatever the hell they're called now is for those who only wish to have Hunting as their Genuine Reason and don't want to join a Club. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RJB79 » 03 Jul 2022, 9:57 pm

Hey No1Mk3,
Thanks for that. I think I am sick of waiting.
So the only advantage is don't have to stay a member of the club, which ill stay a member of anyway.
Thanks again
RJ
RJB79
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by cadet » 11 Jul 2022, 10:30 am

Write the letter (a formal business letter format) for him with all the relevant details, then just get his signature on it. That's what I've done in the past.
If I remember rightly, and looking at my saved letters, the details needed include things like:

Proprietor's name and contact details
ABN
Enterprise name
Enterprise location
Property size
Nature of enterprise (eg ceral cropping; beef/stud cattle; wool growing etc)
Shooter's details.

Here's my de-identified sample (for a renewal for family primary production and hunting; adapt as needed):

___ Pastoral Co.
(Address)

04__ ___ ___ (m)
03 ____ ____ (h)

A.B.N. __ ___ ___ ___

Firearms Licensing Services Division
G.P.O. Box 2807
Melbourne VIC 3001

(date)

Dear Sir or Madam,

Re: Firearms licence renewal ___-___-00B – (shooter's name and lic details)

(Shooter's name), of (address), is periodically engaged by me in primary production activities such as vermin control on my (nature of farming activity) property at (address). This property is also available to him for recreational hunting and target shooting activities. The property is of approximately (size) hectares.

Yours sincerely,

(signature)

(printed name),
Proprietor.

Hope this helps.
cadet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by WilMacHit » 11 Jul 2022, 11:07 am

Hi RJ,

I'm a newby too.
I recently joined SSAA myself, in fact this is the first time I've even posted on here.

Get your details together and fill out the online portion of your application and submit it asap.
Then get all your paperwork in order as quickly as you can. Getting your ID documents certified can be a pain.

At the moment they are about two months behind with processing applications.
You can check for yourself here- https://www.police.vic.gov.au/firearms- ... plications

I submitted my online application in mid May and got my paperwork lodged in mid June, hopefully they get to my application soon.

There's no getting around the wait times unfortunately.
WilMacHit
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by RJB79 » 20 Jul 2022, 9:19 pm

Thanks for that guys,
Sorry I didn't look back at my post.
Everything is taking forever!
RJB79
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by RJB79 » 12 Oct 2022, 9:34 pm

Hi again,
I have received my licence, which is great.
Haven't received anything in regards to PTA, which I submitted with my application to reduce wait times.
Should I expect to receive anything in the mail or just goto the shop?
Thanks again everyone for the information.
RJ
RJB79
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 13 Oct 2022, 8:33 am

Was the PTA sent electronically? If so the dealer will get it. If via a paper form faxed then you will get your PTA in mail.

There is no guarantee that you will get your PTA straight away (if you lodge them at same time). What the 28 days mean is that they sit in a non action pile and once 28 days or your license is approved it gets sent to someone to action and depends on their workload
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by RJB79 » 13 Oct 2022, 1:06 pm

Thanks CZ515
I did both, sent it electronically and then printed the form and sent that in via the post.
They did send an email alert saying licence was approved, maybe a couple weeks before making payment/photo and then receiving the card.
No huge rush, was just curious with how it works.
Cheers
RJB79
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by RJB79 » 24 Oct 2022, 5:20 pm

An update for the people that may be interested.

I have received my Permit to Acquire today in the mail, 5 weeks after receiving the 'Application Approved' email on 20/9/22 and 2 weeks after receiving licence.

I originally submitted PTA online and also sent a hard copy with the licence application.

Thanks to all the helpful people on the forum, stil have plenty to learn.
RJ
RJB79
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws