Medical Requirements on Renewal VIC

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Medical Requirements on Renewal VIC

Post by spud81 » 11 Aug 2022, 8:47 pm

I was wondering if there is someone that could let me know what kind of questions there are regarding medical on a VIC longarm renewal.

A bit of background, I was given the boot from the Army a few years back for PTSD and a trashed back, when I applied for my VIC licence I did the right thing and said I had medical issues, I had a good relationship with my doc and psych at the time, my doc was more than happy to support my application, no dramas at all.

My worry now is that when I moved to VIC I just couldn't be stuffed building a relationship with a regular doctor so I don't really have one that knows me or my history at all, it would be really awkward rocking up to a random doc asking them to support a firearms application.

Can someone that has had a renewal done recently shed some light on the requirements, will VIC police force me to provide medical stuff because I shared it with them previously?

I guess the only reason I am concerned about this is my licence is coming up for renewal in the next 12 months and I am looking at a new rifle project and don't really want to put money into it if a licence renewal is problematic, I have my Anschutz bench rest rifle all set up and performing well, I now have a real itch to get a LA102 and maybe a Southern Cross chassis and start experimenting with loading my own ammo, if my wife lets me obviously.

Would love some advice, the VICPOL website doesn't really cover this and to be quite honest I don't feel comfortable ringing them and asking.

Thanks
spud81
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Medical Requirements on Renewal VIC

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Aug 2022, 4:07 pm

Hi Spud,

You OP suggests you were in another state but says you were in Vic and moved to Vic??

These are the qns asked on the renewal. I just renewed mine a month ago. So very recent.

Qns.JPG
Qns.JPG (97.23 KiB) Viewed 3732 times

I'm guessing your PTSD will fall into the first question.

Perhaps if you no longer suffer from the PTSD (5 years) you can X No. I have no idea if they check interstate. Are you on medication/treatment? Are you still in contact with the old Dr? Could you have an appointment over the Ph??

No1Mk3 is well up with this stuff. Perhaps he will chime in. If not suggest you could PM him.

I do know that if you are in NSW and use the DVA card to get the cost discount it raises flags and often causes a lot of grief. Dr certificates etc, etc, etc.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Aug 2022, 4:42 pm

Can you talk to your previous doctor then?

When I moved to Victoria I got a letter from my doctor in Perth.

You have to change your licence to Victoria when you become resident here, so be aware of that when discussing it with Police. You can't just move here and wait for your interstate licence to run out.

spud81 wrote:I was wondering if there is someone that could let me know what kind of questions there are regarding medical on a VIC longarm renewal.

A bit of background, I was given the boot from the Army a few years back for PTSD and a trashed back, when I applied for my VIC licence I did the right thing and said I had medical issues, I had a good relationship with my doc and psych at the time, my doc was more than happy to support my application, no dramas at all.

My worry now is that when I moved to VIC I just couldn't be stuffed building a relationship with a regular doctor so I don't really have one that knows me or my history at all, it would be really awkward rocking up to a random doc asking them to support a firearms application.

Can someone that has had a renewal done recently shed some light on the requirements, will VIC police force me to provide medical stuff because I shared it with them previously?

I guess the only reason I am concerned about this is my licence is coming up for renewal in the next 12 months and I am looking at a new rifle project and don't really want to put money into it if a licence renewal is problematic, I have my Anschutz bench rest rifle all set up and performing well, I now have a real itch to get a LA102 and maybe a Southern Cross chassis and start experimenting with loading my own ammo, if my wife lets me obviously.

Would love some advice, the VICPOL website doesn't really cover this and to be quite honest I don't feel comfortable ringing them and asking.

Thanks
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by spud81 » 14 Aug 2022, 7:47 pm

Thanks oldbloke, that’s exactly what I was after, yeah I moved from QLD to VIC just over 4 years ago. I was able to get my doc in QLD to support my VIC application back then because I was still on the books in the Army at the time. Definitely can’t go back to an army doctor after all these years it doesn’t really work like that. I will definitely play it safe and not get any more rifles until the renewal is through, I might be looking for a new hobby sooner than I think.
spud81
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 12 Oct 2022, 5:39 am

Go and see a psychologist, tell them what it is for & get them to write a letter stating you're of stable mind & of no risk to anyone else.
Then get him/her to print it out and submit it with your application/renewal. (if the letter isn't to your liking, nothing stopping you going to see another until you get a letter you're happy with. Although that could get costly...)

When I had to do mine I went to the same psychologist the police use for their ptsd issues, carries more weight.
Maybe do something similar?
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Victorian gun laws