Minimum acres for shooting/sighting in Victoria

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Minimum acres for shooting/sighting in Victoria

Post by JoshM » 18 Aug 2022, 1:11 am

Hey all I am trying to get my firearms license
(If I can get someone to sign my form saying they have known me for 12 months or more but is proving difficult )

But I am just wondering what is the legal land size/acreage to discharge a firearm in Victoria
I am on 20 acres backing on to a state forest with a house either side about 300/400 meters from my fence line am I able to sight in or even discharge a firearm at all on my size property???
JoshM
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Minimum acres for shooting/sighting in Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 18 Aug 2022, 3:24 pm

What firearm are you looking to use?
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Aug 2022, 4:56 pm

Regardless of size, what is your property zoned as? There is no minimum size in Victoria for shooting, only for organized shooting events. A search of the site should pull up posts on this topic. My property in Wedderburn is 25 acres, when it was zoned rural I tested 55 cal A/T rifles on it, now it is zoned Rural Living I can't shoot a 22 on it.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Aug 2022, 6:25 pm

JoshM wrote:Hey all I am trying to get my firearms license
(If I can get someone to sign my form saying they have known me for 12 months or more but is proving difficult )

But I am just wondering what is the legal land size/acreage to discharge a firearm in Victoria
I am on 20 acres backing on to a state forest with a house either side about 300/400 meters from my fence line am I able to sight in or even discharge a firearm at all on my size property???

As long as it's zoned rural there is no minimum size limit, my nearest neighbours are about 500m. It must be safe to do so though, the bullets must remain within your property boundaries so make sure you aren't firing toward dwellings or roads and that you have a good back stop so any misses don't get away from you, and there are minimum distances you can shoot near a dwelling without permission, even if it's not on your property. It is generally in your best interests to let your neighbours know you're going to be shooting, and even better if you can organise to do it when they're away so it doesn't bother them at all. If kids walk to or from school along the roads I would also avoid shooting at those times of the day.

You can also jump the fence and shoot in the state forest unless there's some restriction on it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 18 Aug 2022, 8:54 pm

Better of just getting a Registration of interest to hunt pest animals on Crown land from DELWP

Ignore the nonsense above about land zoning, these people don't know what they are talking about. There is no minimum land size or anything about zones in law.

Although the police will weigh up your genuine reason, if using land to hunt on is only small.

There are laws about target/sport shooting on private property under the Firearms Regulations 2018 reg 8.

JoshM wrote:I am on 20 acres backing on to a state forest with a house either side about 300/400 meters from my fence line am I able to sight in or even discharge a firearm at all on my size property???

Maybe, depends on if it complies with the Firearms Regulations 2018 reg 8 and the Firearms Act section 130.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Aug 2022, 6:44 am

Fionn wrote:Better of just getting a Registration of interest to hunt pest animals on Crown land from DELWP

Ignore the nonsense above about land zoning, these people don't know what they are talking about. There is no minimum land size or anything about zones in law.

Although the police will weigh up your genuine reason, if using land to hunt on is only small.

There are laws about target/sport shooting on private property under the Firearms Regulations 2018 reg 8.

JoshM wrote:I am on 20 acres backing on to a state forest with a house either side about 300/400 meters from my fence line am I able to sight in or even discharge a firearm at all on my size property???

Maybe, depends on if it complies with the Firearms Regulations 2018 reg 8 and the Firearms Act section 130.

You are correct, the zoning code system has been changed, but as there doesn't appear to have been an urgent attempt to amend other laws to follow it I can only guess that nothing substantial changed.
Go here https://mapshare.vic.gov.au/Vicplan/index.html?https://mapshare.maps.vic.gov.au/vicplan/ and see what your property is zoned as. We are now FZ1, the residential creep that comes to within 120m of our northern boundary (the other side of the road reserve) and under 400m of our house is RZL1. My neighbours within the RZL1 zone cannot use their firearms on their properties any more. I just noticed that the "creep" has managed to cross the road, and includes two small blocks on our side of the road. These were purchased by a new owner this year and the guy was telling me he was going to have to get into shooting again due to the number of ducks on his dam - I must remember to drop in and make sure he knows about the zoning. He may have to get permission to shoot on the other side of his fence instead.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 19 Aug 2022, 7:58 am

There are laws that dictate that you must not shoot if within 200 or 250 yards of a house and from a road way so those things in themselves do set a minimum in some ways.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 19 Aug 2022, 8:20 am

Larry wrote:There are laws that dictate that you must not shoot if within 200 or 250 yards of a house and from a road way so those things in themselves do set a minimum in some ways.

Unless you have permission of those inhabitants.
From a roadway includes the road reserve, which can be quite wide. Any fence lines along the roadway will be a good indication of the extent of the road reserve.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 19 Aug 2022, 6:26 pm

bladeracer wrote: My neighbours within the RZL1 zone cannot use their firearms on their properties any more.

Yes they can if they comply with the Firearms Regulations 2018 reg 8 and the Firearms Act section 130.

Planning Zones have absolutely nothing to do with shooting on a property in Victoria, unless it is a community/club//commercial activity.

Other states are different, but we are special in Victoria. :D
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Aug 2022, 6:49 pm

Fionn wrote:
bladeracer wrote: My neighbours within the RZL1 zone cannot use their firearms on their properties any more.

Yes they can is they comply with the Firearms Regulations 2018 reg 8 and the Firearms Act section 130.

Planning Zones have absolutely nothing to do with shooting on a property in Victoria, unless it is a community/club//commercial activity.

Other states are different, but we are special in Victoria. :D

Hmmm...while I lean toward your view, they have told me they can no longer shoot at home since the zoning changed, though I never asked them for the laws preventing them. I will try to remember to ask them about it next time I see them.

I no longer see populous place in the Act either, so which law restricts use of firearms in the suburban backyards?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 19 Aug 2022, 7:09 pm

Populous place was removed from section 130 around 2018.

Its been replaced with,

"in a public place; or in any other place with reckless disregard for the safety of any person."

As to backyards, its Firearms Regulations 2018 reg 8 and the Firearms Act section 130 and the EPA noise laws.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 23 Aug 2022, 7:24 am

G'day,

I was asked recently to shoot a couple of foxes taking chooks on a 7.5 acre block amongst large paddocks about 0.5 kms from a nearby small rural township. [A year or two ago the property owners had a bloke come with a .308 to knock over a few chook thieves.] I told the property owner to contact the local Police and also rang the officer myself. The officer and I decided my .22 Magnum was the best rifle for the job on such an acreage - indeed the range was always going to be 100 yards or less given the layout of the place. The real issue for me was not the area of the property per se, but whether it was inside or outside township boundaries/zones. The officer made it clear it was outside the boundary of the township and he was happy for me to shoot there. He stated the regulations had changed and quoted, more or less, what Fionn wrote above : "in a public place; or in any other place with reckless disregard for the safety of any person." The property is not public and I and the owner were demonstrating appropriate care/safety by consulting the Officer beforehand. It also meant that if anyone passing by the property called the Officer because s/he heard a gun shot the officer would be in a position to explain what was happening.

Asking the local Police first is the safest way to go. I've asked the local Police before about shooting in certain areas and they have always been happy to discuss the situation. Better to ask first than get in strife.

After all that the bloody chook thieves didn't turn up! I'll have to go back when it stops raining.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Coxy383 » 17 Feb 2024, 2:53 pm

Larry wrote:There are laws that dictate that you must not shoot if within 200 or 250 yards of a house and from a road way so those things in themselves do set a minimum in some ways.

I moved to uppermurry Vic 2 years ago. Surrounded by farm land backing onto state Forest. Is it true about not shooting near houses? Because I had a bloke ( had permission from neighbours to shoot) drive right up to my fence line thought a paddock and fire off a 308 12 m from my deck which my wife and I were standing on trying to say hello. After the shot turned off his lights and bolted. Didn't get real far and is now not allowed on the farm again.
Coxy383
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2024, 6:11 pm

Coxy383 wrote:

I moved to uppermurry Vic 2 years ago. Surrounded by farm land backing onto state Forest. Is it true about not shooting near houses? Because I had a bloke ( had permission from neighbours to shoot) drive right up to my fence line thought a paddock and fire off a 308 12 m from my deck which my wife and I were standing on trying to say hello. After the shot turned off his lights and bolted. Didn't get real far and is now not allowed on the farm again.

My understanding is that the distance regulation only applies if you fit the requirements for "target shooting on private property".
There is however _always_ the rule about safety of other people. I would think shooting within 12m of somebody's house without their permission would be difficult to prove in court that it is absolutely safe. It could probably be argued that even the noise of a high-velocity centrefire rifle could cause fear or do harm to people at that sort of distance.

This bloke was on your property or is your house very close to the boundary fence? What was he shooting at?

You said he's not allowed on again, did he explain why he did it?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Coxy383 » 18 Feb 2024, 8:31 am

bladeracer wrote:
Coxy383 wrote:

My understanding is that the distance regulation only applies if you fit the requirements for "target shooting on private property".
There is however _always_ the rule about safety of other people. I would think shooting within 12m of somebody's house without their permission would be difficult to prove in court that it is absolutely safe. It could probably be argued that even the noise of a high-velocity centrefire rifle could cause fear or do harm to people at that sort of distance.

This bloke was on your property or is your house very close to the boundary fence? What was he shooting at?

You said he's not allowed on again, did he explain why he did it?

Yes my house is close to the boundary. He was shooting a roo at dusk. The noise scared the s**t out of my wife and I and my poor dogs. He said he didn't see the house with all the lights on 12 m away. Probably wasn't a good idea to chase him down and pull him up but I did. He since has been busted with suppressors and I believe he has lost his firearms.
Coxy383
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2024, 8:56 am

Coxy383 wrote:Yes my house is close to the boundary. He was shooting a roo at dusk. The noise scared the s**t out of my wife and I and my poor dogs. He said he didn't see the house with all the lights on 12 m away. Probably wasn't a good idea to chase him down and pull him up but I did. He since has been busted with suppressors and I believe he has lost his firearms.

I hope he had a destruction permit for the roos as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Coxy383 » 18 Feb 2024, 9:43 am

bladeracer wrote:
Coxy383 wrote:Yes my house is close to the boundary. He was shooting a roo at dusk. The noise scared the s**t out of my wife and I and my poor dogs. He said he didn't see the house with all the lights on 12 m away. Probably wasn't a good idea to chase him down and pull him up but I did. He since has been busted with suppressors and I believe he has lost his firearms.

I hope he had a destruction permit for the roos as well.

He has permission from the land owner. They didn't realise he was....let's say...fool
Coxy383
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2024, 11:19 am

Coxy383 wrote: He has permission from the land owner. They didn't realise he was....let's say...fool

Permission from the owner doesn't allow you to shoot protected native animals though, he has to have a destruction permit.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Coxy383 » 18 Feb 2024, 12:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Coxy383 wrote: He has permission from the land owner. They didn't realise he was....let's say...fool

Permission from the owner doesn't allow you to shoot protected native animals though, he has to have a destruction permit.
bladeracer wrote:

Wonder if all the farmers and weekend hunters know this I'm guessing so. I'm a city boy recently moved country so looks like when I get my licence my dogs are going to be eating well on fallow. 10-1 deer to roo here anyway
Coxy383
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Coxy383 » 18 Feb 2024, 1:02 pm

Saying that he may have had 1. Didn't ask
Coxy383
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2024, 2:01 pm

Coxy383 wrote:Wonder if all the farmers and weekend hunters know this I'm guessing so. I'm a city boy recently moved country so looks like when I get my licence my dogs are going to be eating well on fallow. 10-1 deer to roo here anyway

Anybody that went to school in the past forty years or so should be aware that native animals are protected. Anybody that has done the safety lecture should have been made aware that it's illegal to harm native wildlife. Anybody owning a rural property should certainly be aware that native wildlife is protected.

Roo numbers can become a problem, especially when it's a drought and they consume your stock's water and food. When they are a problem you have to show what measures you've already taken that haven't worked (like improved fencing to make them your neighbour's problem instead of yours) and then you can apply for a destruction permit that will allow you to drop and tag a specific number of animals. We came close a few years back. I noticed a large pack of roos in the paddock last week, I counted 35. That's a lot on small properties but for now we have plenty of grass and water so they aren't a problem. Deer haven't been seen within about 10km of our place for decades, but last month two of my neighbours have taken video of deer on their properties, there is no shortage of the things so feed your dogs up well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by stihl88 » 19 Feb 2024, 10:33 am

He needs the appropriate permits, the amount of hoops we had to jump through when doing our Roo culls there's no way he had granted approval. Doesn't sound like a pro shooter, more like a rogue shooter who wrecks it for the rest of us.
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Feb 2024, 10:44 am

I agree with blade. Spot on.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws