Buying a rifle in QLD on holidays from Victoria

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Buying a rifle in QLD on holidays from Victoria

Post by Muzza » 20 Sep 2022, 9:05 pm

Hi all, I’m from Victoria and am wanting to fly to QLD buy a rifle in QLD and drive back to Victoria, hunting along the way

Wondering if I can do this and if so the best way to go about it.

Cheers
Muzza
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Buying a rifle in QLD on holidays from Victoria

Post by rc42 » 23 Sep 2022, 10:31 am

In short, No

After you pay for the firearm the current QLD owner will need to take it to a QLD dealer and sign it over to their books but with a note that you have purchased it, this is a 'transfer' and costs about $50
You will then need to arrange for a Victorian dealer to receive it and the QLD dealer will post it to them, this will be another 'transfer' to the Victorian dealer's books.

Finally, you follow your normal Victorian procedures for acquiring a firearm from a local dealer,
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Sep 2022, 10:59 am

Muzza wrote:Hi all, I’m from Victoria and am wanting to fly to QLD buy a rifle in QLD and drive back to Victoria, hunting along the way

Wondering if I can do this and if so the best way to go about it.

Cheers

Not legally, no, I don't think so. It needs a paper trail from the Qld dealer to your Vic dealer. Better to order it and have it sent down to you first.
But, you can borrow a rifle. You could borrow it up there and use it all the way back home, but _I think_ you would have to send it back to Qld and have them send it back down to you. Basically, the Qld dealer needs a Victorian dealer's licence number that he has transferred the rifle to, then it has to appear on the Victorian dealer's books. Obviously, if both dealers trust you implicitly they might go along with it, but the risk of anything happening between you collecting it and returning it to your dealer is far too much for any sensible dealer to take.

But it wouldn't surprise me if there aren't ways around it - discuss it with your dealer as he may have had to do similar before.

Besides, if you want to hunt with it you'll want to spend time with it to zero it and find the ammo it prefers.
Last edited by bladeracer on 23 Sep 2022, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 Sep 2022, 11:51 am

G'day Muzza,
You can for SA and NSW as we have agreements to recognize each others Permits, but no such agreement exists for any other State. This came about due to issues with people in border towns like Albury/Wodonga, Mildura etc so an arrangement was made with those States immediately adjacent to ours.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 30 Sep 2022, 9:26 am

When I lived in the ACT I bought quite a few firearms in NSW. As long as you have a valid PTA for it, the dealer in QLD will accept it and you'll be on you way. You might have to submit the PTA return yourself, I'm not sure of the process in VIC. (QLD dealers submit them at the end of the month to Weapons licensing).
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Victorian gun laws