Appearance Laws might change-am I dreaming?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Appearance Laws might change-am I dreaming?

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Oct 2022, 5:48 pm

Well, there is a small possibility that these laws may change for the better in Victoria.
Here's hoping. There "appears" :lol: to be some sort of agreement between both ALP & LNP that they need to be changed.

https://sifa.net.au/when-appearance-was ... -function/
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Appearance Laws might change-am I dreaming?

Post by on_one_wheel » 31 Oct 2022, 6:00 pm

It should change.
It's a law that does nothing to improve public safety, wastes tax payers money to administrate and wastes the resources of those administrating the rubbish.
That time and money should be spent focusing on the Black market firearms.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 31 Oct 2022, 6:32 pm

Well having appearance laws is news to me especially when you can get something like this registered with no resistance from the registry whatsoever has anybody on here been knocked back because of appearance laws in vic

lKAQLF9.jpeg
lKAQLF9.jpeg (333.11 KiB) Viewed 3934 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 Oct 2022, 6:47 pm

deye243 wrote:Well having appearance laws is news to me especially when you can get something like this registered with no resistance from the registry whatsoever has anybody on here been knocked back because of appearance laws in vic

lKAQLF9.jpeg

Yes, 11 separate occasions over the years, and I know of at least 20 others just in my club alone. Add to that the 1/2 a dozen or so bolt action and pump action firearms classed as Cat D here in Vic due to "military appearance" and some of us are well aquainted with these bollocks laws.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 31 Oct 2022, 7:08 pm

Yet somehow we can actually own legitimate second hand military rilfes.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 31 Oct 2022, 7:49 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:
deye243 wrote:Well having appearance laws is news to me especially when you can get something like this registered with no resistance from the registry whatsoever has anybody on here been knocked back because of appearance laws in vic

lKAQLF9.jpeg

Yes, 11 separate occasions over the years, and I know of at least 20 others just in my club alone. Add to that the 1/2 a dozen or so bolt action and pump action firearms classed as Cat D here in Vic due to "military appearance" and some of us are well aquainted with these bollocks laws.

I've honestly never heard of anybody being knocked back unless it was for a semi Auto or what they deem as too many of the same Calibre.
I'm in the gun shop up here twice a week on average we were only talking about this about 6 months ago as I was thinking of buying something and even the proprietor said they have not had any knocked back they put in quite a few each week . :unknown:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Oct 2022, 7:55 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Yet somehow we can actually own legitimate second hand military rilfes.

YES, these laws have always done my head in. Its insane.

And although it will never (dont say that) effect me you do hear of a few cases and its just plain stupid, stupid, stupid.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 31 Oct 2022, 9:15 pm

The point i always make about the appearance laws is, by law you cannot have firearms on public display. So you cannot scare the poor general public by these "scary" looking firearms.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 31 Oct 2022, 11:40 pm

I think you will find the appearance laws are based more on inept police training as they can't tell the difference even at a short distance
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 01 Nov 2022, 6:04 am

Maybe they need specsavers
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 01 Nov 2022, 11:19 am

Screenshot_20221101-114829_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221101-114829_Gallery.jpg (329.16 KiB) Viewed 3813 times

Here's an appearance that would change the laws....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 01 Nov 2022, 11:40 am

cz515 wrote:Maybe they need specsavers

After all the dribble i have heard pour out of their mouths over the last 40 years they need a helluva lot more than specsavers only ever ran into about 4 who actually understood and new what they were talking about .
Last edited by deye243 on 01 Nov 2022, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 01 Nov 2022, 1:07 pm

bigpete wrote: Here's an appearance that would change the laws....

Oh yeh. Definitely loaded.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tomotron » 01 Nov 2022, 7:06 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Well, there is a small possibility that these laws may change for the better in Victoria.
Here's hoping. There "appears" :lol: to be some sort of agreement between both ALP & LNP that they need to be changed.

I've seen older versions of the Firearms Act 1996. Vic didn't have appearance laws until mid-2007. That was when the Bracks Government gave the Chief Commissioner powers to temporarily declare Cat A, B, and C firearms as Cat D or E based on design, function, or appearance. Around mid-2008, the Chief Commissioner was given powers to permanently do the same thing.

Hopefully Sections 3A, 3B, and 3C are removed for good.
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 01 Nov 2022, 7:44 pm

Tomotron wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Well, there is a small possibility that these laws may change for the better in Victoria.

I've seen older versions of the Firearms Act 1996. Vic didn't have appearance laws until mid-2007. That was when the Bracks Government gave the Chief Commissioner powers to temporarily declare Cat A, B, and C firearms as Cat D or E based on design, function, or appearance. Around mid-2008, the Chief Commissioner was given powers to permanently do the same thing.

Hopefully Sections 3A, 3B, and 3C are removed for good.

The one thing that really needs to be taken out of the 1996 firearms act is that bulshit quote not to carry a firearm in a manner as to alarm the public what a load of crap.
It never bothered me until I moved into a brand-new house with no front yard no backyard access to speak off now I have to walk out my front door to put my firearms into the car what a joke all it takes is for my neighbour to ring the cops and say he seen me put my Firearms in the car and I'm in the s***
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 01 Nov 2022, 8:07 pm

deye243 wrote:The one thing that really needs to be taken out of the 1996 firearms act is that bulshit quote not to carry a firearm in a manner as to alarm the public what a load of crap.
It never bothered me until I moved into a brand-new house with no front yard no backyard access to speak off now I have to walk out my front door to put my firearms into the car what a joke all it takes is for my neighbour to ring the cops and say he seen me put my Firearms in the car and I'm in the s***

Their is no such law in the Firearms Act 1996.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 01 Nov 2022, 8:53 pm

Ok then tell me why they have to be covered and out of sight of the public at all times have i worded it the wrong way happy to be stood corrected .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 01 Nov 2022, 9:07 pm

deye243 wrote:Ok then tell me why they have to be covered and out of sight of the public at all times have i worded it the wrong way happy to be stood corrected .

They don't.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 01 Nov 2022, 9:27 pm

Not according to my local gun shop as he has taken delivery of entire collections because of this very reason on more than one occasion so what law are they using.
With one bloke he had his 3006 on the backseat of his car as he went through macdonald's on the way home i don't have a problem with this but the plod definitely did .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 01 Nov 2022, 9:35 pm

deye243 wrote:Not according to my local gun shop as he has taken delivery of entire collections because of this very reason on more than one occasion so what law are they using.
With one bloke he had his 3006 on the backseat of his car as he went through macdonald's on the way home i don't have a problem is the the plod definitely did .

No idea, you're the one telling the stories. If you want me to guess you will need to give more details, but even then its a guess.

It seems a little know fact that Victoria has open carry laws as long as the firearm isn't loaded.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Nov 2022, 9:47 pm

Fionn wrote:
deye243 wrote:Not according to my local gun shop as he has taken delivery of entire collections because of this very reason on more than one occasion so what law are they using.
With one bloke he had his 3006 on the backseat of his car as he went through macdonald's on the way home i don't have a problem is the the plod definitely did .

No idea, you're the one telling the stories. If you want me to guess you will need to give more details, but even then its a guess.

It seems a little know fact that Victoria has open carry laws as long as the firearm isn't loaded.

Yeh, perhaps. See how you go, on a train or bus in the CBD.

Just make sure you have your runners on. And an antidote for pepper/capsicum spray.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 01 Nov 2022, 9:59 pm

While not against the law, it doesn't mean it's a sensible thing to do.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 01 Nov 2022, 11:39 pm

Fionn wrote:

Ok then tell me why several people in my district have been busted for having a loaded magazine on the dashboard it's one of those laws where nothing is written but it's at the discretion of the and I say this the begrudgingly officer.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Nov 2022, 11:43 pm

I've read the same about keeping firearms out of sight, covered, bagged, I'll have a look tomorrow, it may have apon the SA pta paperwork re fronting up to the station for registration.

The police like to enact their own set of rules, they just don't expect us to defend ourselves or get provided with a good defence team like old mate who nearly got dragged through the ringer for cleaning his rifle in his lounge room with the curtains open.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 02 Nov 2022, 2:57 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I've read the same about keeping firearms out of sight, covered, bagged, I'll have a look tomorrow, it may have apon the SA pta paperwork re fronting up to the station for registration.

The police like to enact their own set of rules, they just don't expect us to defend ourselves or get provided with a good defence team like old mate who nearly got dragged through the ringer for cleaning his rifle in his lounge room with the curtains open.

Yes I remember that but I don't think that was in Victoria was it ?
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Nov 2022, 7:21 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I've read the same about keeping firearms out of sight, covered, bagged, I'll have a look tomorrow, it may have apon the SA pta paperwork re fronting up to the station for registration.

This is becoming a real problem. Or perhaps social media is making us more aware of what's been going on all along.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 02 Nov 2022, 7:31 am

deye243 wrote:Ok then tell me why several people in my district have been busted for having a loaded magazine on the dashboard it's one of those laws where nothing is written but it's at the discretion of the and I say this the begrudgingly officer.

All laws are written, enforcement discretion is about the application of the laws, not making them up on the fly.

You claim they were busted for it, what offence where they charged with?

There are laws about this sort of thing in declared deer habitat at certain times.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Nov 2022, 10:24 am

Oldbloke wrote:

This is becoming a real problem. Or perhaps social media is making us more aware of what's been going on all along.

We're definitely becoming more aware, I reckon the likes of NSC are helping with that as well.

OK... so I took a look at the firearms Regulations. Page 95
Part 3 - 26 (4) - Security of firearms and ammunition while being transported.
It's stated quite clearly that firearms must be covered.
(Sorry to Burst your bubble again fionn)
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 02 Nov 2022, 12:14 pm

With one bloke he had his 3006 on the backseat of his car as he went through macdonald's on the way home i don't have a problem with this but the plod definitely did .

You are correct Deye, at least regarding NSW

https://www.ssaa.org.au/?ss_news=guns-a ... sportation
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 02 Nov 2022, 1:26 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
We're definitely becoming more aware, I reckon the likes of NSC are helping with that as well.

OK... so I took a look at the firearms Regulations. Page 95
Part 3 - 26 (4) - Security of firearms and ammunition while being transported.
It's stated quite clearly that firearms must be covered.
(Sorry to Burst your bubble again fionn)

Sorry to disappoint but you need to work on bubble bursting skills.

We are talking about Victoria laws here, I thought you would have gathered that seeing we were talking about the Firearms Act 1996, Appearance laws in Victoria, the linked article was about the Victorian Firearms Amendment Bill 2022, I clearly stating I was talking about Victoria and not to mention its the Victorian gun laws section of the forum.

But you missed all that didn't you. :lol: Not to quick on the uptake are we. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws