Appearance Laws might change-am I dreaming?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Appearance Laws might change-am I dreaming?

Post by Lazarus » 02 Nov 2022, 2:15 pm

deye243 wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I've read the same about keeping firearms out of sight, covered, bagged, I'll have a look tomorrow, it may have apon the SA pta paperwork re fronting up to the station for registration.

The police like to enact their own set of rules, they just don't expect us to defend ourselves or get provided with a good defence team like old mate who nearly got dragged through the ringer for cleaning his rifle in his lounge room with the curtains open.

Yes I remember that but I don't think that was in Victoria was it ?

"Firearms should be transported in a padded cover or hard case, unloaded and preferably rendered inoperable. While being transported, firearms and ammunition should be kept out of sight and stored in separate receptacles that are either secured to the inside of your vehicle or in a lockable component of your vehicle.29 Aug 2022"

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/firearm-storage
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Nov 2022, 3:58 pm

Fionn wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
We're definitely becoming more aware, I reckon the likes of NSC are helping with that as well.

OK... so I took a look at the firearms Regulations. Page 95
Part 3 - 26 (4) - Security of firearms and ammunition while being transported.
It's stated quite clearly that firearms must be covered.
(Sorry to Burst your bubble again fionn)

Sorry to disappoint but you need to work on bubble bursting skills.

We are talking about Victoria laws here, I thought you would have gathered that seeing we were talking about the Firearms Act 1996, Appearance laws in Victoria, the linked article was about the Victorian Firearms Amendment Bill 2022, I clearly stating I was talking about Victoria and not to mention its the Victorian gun laws section of the forum.

But you missed all that didn't you. :lol: Not to quick on the uptake are we. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I definitely did miss that bit, you can remain in your bubble... for now :lol:

Lazarus wrote:
deye243 wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I've read the same about keeping firearms out of sight, covered, bagged, I'll have a look tomorrow, it may have apon the SA pta paperwork re fronting up to the station for registration.

The police like to enact their own set of rules, they just don't expect us to defend ourselves or get provided with a good defence team like old mate who nearly got dragged through the ringer for cleaning his rifle in his lounge room with the curtains open.

"Firearms should be transported in a padded cover or hard case, unloaded and preferably rendered inoperable. While being transported, firearms and ammunition should be kept out of sight and stored in separate receptacles that are either secured to the inside of your vehicle or in a lockable component of your vehicle.29 Aug 2022"

"Should" means they'd like you to, being that it isn't worded "must" I wonder how it would hold up if they tried to prosecute someone for having it in plain sight?
Not that I'd be keen on testing the waters.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 02 Nov 2022, 5:08 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Fionn wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
We're definitely becoming more aware, I reckon the likes of NSC are helping with that as well.

OK... so I took a look at the firearms Regulations. Page 95
Part 3 - 26 (4) - Security of firearms and ammunition while being transported.
It's stated quite clearly that firearms must be covered.
(Sorry to Burst your bubble again fionn)

Sorry to disappoint but you need to work on bubble bursting skills.

We are talking about Victoria laws here, I thought you would have gathered that seeing we were talking about the Firearms Act 1996, Appearance laws in Victoria, the linked article was about the Victorian Firearms Amendment Bill 2022, I clearly stating I was talking about Victoria and not to mention its the Victorian gun laws section of the forum.

But you missed all that didn't you. :lol: Not to quick on the uptake are we. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lazarus wrote:
deye243 wrote:

"Should" means they'd like you to, being that it isn't worded "must" I wonder how it would hold up if they tried to prosecute someone for having it in plain sight?

I'm with you there OOW

Discretion is always the better option when dealing with potential dealings with the Federales re firearms.

If I'm carrying in the car it's in a padlocked hard case chained to a hard point that's botled through the floor to the chassis, can't be "seen" but obvious what it is and you'd need a decent sized bolt cutter to get at it.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 04 Nov 2022, 6:24 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:

Thanks I feel nice an safe in it. but I am always mindful their is some prick that wants to burst it. :lol:

on_one_wheel wrote:"Should" means they'd like you to, being that it isn't worded "must" I wonder how it would hold up if they tried to prosecute someone for having it in plain sight?

It would be under not carrying a firearm in a manner that is secure and is not dangerous, or that your not fit and proper person.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 06 Nov 2022, 3:47 pm

Talking of firearms in plain sight.

A federal cop left his loaded service pistol in his unlocked car, obviously in sight and it was pinched and used in at least 2 crimes.

And will he receive the sort of penalty one of the law abiding firearms owners would get.

When monkeys fly out of my butt.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/truecrimea ... 4d0448c907
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Nov 2022, 4:01 pm

Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 06 Nov 2022, 4:38 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:It's definitely not the first time.
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... e-vehicle/

stnuC
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Victorian gun laws