I'm confused. Certified ID Person as Referee, or?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

I'm confused. Certified ID Person as Referee, or?

Post by VKER » 03 Nov 2022, 4:13 pm

Hi all,

First off, apologies, as I know this has probably been asked before, however I cannot find an answer to my specific question by searching.

I have completed the firearms course through SSAA Vic and am currently completing my application on Victoria Police's eServices website.

I have acquired all documents required for ID (birth cert, Medicare card, council rates, and a few other documents) and have had these certified by a local JP, however, reading the Victoria Police website, it states that the person certifying these documents (JP) also needs to be the person that knows you for 12+ months. Can someone advise if a JP can sign 12+ months when you've only known them 1 day - the problem I have is the GP clinic I go to has many doctors and they run under their own ABN and I will just go to any doctor within the clinic when I am sick. When I asked them to sign/certify, I was advised they can't because the doctors haven't known me for 12+ months despite them working in the same clinic.

Am I also supposed to provide a 'referee' for good character, or is this apart of the ID part - can a JP be used, even though they won't know me from a bar of soap?

I'm so confused. Lol.

Cheers all!
Last edited by VKER on 04 Nov 2022, 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VKER
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: I'm confused. Certified ID Person as Referee, or?

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Nov 2022, 9:56 am

"referee' for good character, or is this apart of the ID part -"

This is not the same as ID docs. But I couldn'tsee on the Vic pol sights where you need a referee???

The certified copies of birth certificate, cards etc IS the 100 points of ID. JP or equivalent needs to certify them.

There is a list somewhere of what each document is worth in points.

List_of_Acceptable_ID_Referees_V2.6.pdf
(378.64 KiB) Downloaded 770 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by VKER » 04 Nov 2022, 5:49 pm

Hi Oldbloke,

Thanks for your response.

If you click here: https://www.police.vic.gov.au/apply-for-a-new-licence, and then scroll down to 'Identification documents' it states the following:

"You are required to supply 100 points of certified identification compromising of:

at least one primary identification document. e.g. passport or birth certificates and;
at least one secondary document showing your current residential address. e.g. drivers licence.

You are required to supply an identification reference from an acceptable referee who:

has known you for at least 12 months and;
is not related to you by either birth or marriage.
The person who provides your identification reference must be the same person who certifies your 100 points of identification.

Examples of acceptable referees include people such as:

registered medical practitioner (eg. your GP), or dentist
registered and employed nurse
registered primary or secondary school teachers employed full-time
primary or secondary school principal employed full-time
minister of religion who is registered as a marriage celebrant
Justice of the Peace
bank employee who has the authority to open accounts (eg. bank branch manager)
accountant who is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, the Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants, or the National Institute of Accountants
You can read more about acceptable referees here".

The JP I had certify the documents hasn't known me for 12 months though - and am yet to get him to sign that he's know me for 12+ months which is stated on the documented after you submit your application online - It says "I ___ certify these documents and confirmed I have known ___ for 12 months".

Cheers!
VKER
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 04 Nov 2022, 6:11 pm

The person who certifies the ID documentations needs to have known you for 12 months. So you need to get someone from the list of people who can certify that has known you for more then 12 months to do all the certifying.

The list is pretty extensive, so you should be able to find someone.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by VKER » 04 Nov 2022, 7:05 pm

Hi Fionn,

That makes sense, however I don't know any persons on the list that have known me for over 12 months. I've approached my GP (see above re this), my pharmacist who has advised although I have been with them for over 12+ months, they don't know me personally so they can't sign. All the other persons on the list don't know me, let alone for 12 months.

Not sure where to go from here aside from trying to build a relationship with such a person like a specific GP, but all my exam results through SSAA and membership will have expired by then.
VKER
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 04 Nov 2022, 7:25 pm

Unless your newly arrived in the country, you will know someone on the list that can do it, go though the whole list.. If not, you will have to wait until one of them does. I would advise not using a doctor or mental health professional in any case as it may come back an bite you.

Just remember its not known you well, if you met someone on the list 2 years ago say an accountant, who you only see once a year, they can do it as they only need to know you for more than 12 months.

Its an ID thing, to overcome fraudulent ID's, not a character check or reference.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by VKER » 04 Nov 2022, 8:14 pm

Fionn, thank you! Your post just then was more helpful then you may think. :)

I'm going to visit Commbank tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

Cheers again!
VKER
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Keachy » 21 Sep 2023, 2:27 pm

I am in the same predicament. I am well known in far East Gippsland but finding someone who can sign my Documents is proving difficult. How did you go?
Keachy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws