license and permit to aquire

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

license and permit to aquire

Post by kristian.d » 12 Nov 2022, 12:25 pm

hi guys,

im sure this has been asked and i hope im in the right section here. i sent off my application for a firearms license yesterday and after postage i started googling how i go about applying for my permit to acquire. on the vic police site it says that this can be done at the same time as you apply for your license, does this literally mean has to be done at the same time in the same application? cannot be done after? i have applied on line but obviously with out my license numebr the application isnt complete.

i popped into my local gun shop and they said i would need to wait until i receive my license now. is that accurate?

thanks
kristian.d
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: license and permit to aquire

Post by bladeracer » 12 Nov 2022, 6:32 pm

kristian.d wrote:hi guys,

im sure this has been asked and i hope im in the right section here. i sent off my application for a firearms license yesterday and after postage i started googling how i go about applying for my permit to acquire. on the vic police site it says that this can be done at the same time as you apply for your license, does this literally mean has to be done at the same time in the same application? cannot be done after? i have applied on line but obviously with out my license numebr the application isnt complete.

i popped into my local gun shop and they said i would need to wait until i receive my license now. is that accurate?

thanks

I did two permits with my application and they came through together. I was told that as the application doesn't even get looked at until the 28 days is up, you can lodge permits and they should get put together so when it does eventually get looked at they'll go through as well. Didn't try it myself but it's probably worth trying. Worst case is they won't look at the permits until 28 days after they okay your licence.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by kristian.d » 13 Nov 2022, 5:57 am

when did you apply for your license? what ive read is its all done on the eportal now for permits. maybe ill give the licensing depart a call tomorrow and see if they will accept my permit if i post it on its own as its only a couple of days since i posted the license application

thanks
kristian.d
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Nov 2022, 9:12 am

kristian.d wrote:when did you apply for your license? what ive read is its all done on the eportal now for permits. maybe ill give the licensing depart a call tomorrow and see if they will accept my permit if i post it on its own as its only a couple of days since i posted the license application

thanks

2014 - I got my Vic licence when I moved here from WA. Got two friends looking to get licenced now though so having to look into it again.
All my permits have been done by my dealer, including the two I lodged with my application, in more than 40 firearms I've never done one myself.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by WilMacHit » 13 Nov 2022, 4:22 pm

The PTA can be done online or in a gun shop.
If you do it online it can be filled out using your licence application number.
By the time your licence is approved, most likely your 28 day waiting period will have expired and you'll get your PTA in the mail with or soon after your licence.
If you want to have your firearms dealer do the PTA for you, that will need to be done after you have your licence.
WilMacHit
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws