Change of Address

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Change of Address

Post by devin » 07 Jan 2023, 9:12 pm

Hi guys. I posted on here a little while ago on how long it would take for my firearms license application to be approved, and well it was approved! Happy days! But now I've hit a little stressful process here.. While I was applying for my license 2 months ago, we have been talking about moving out of home, was keen on the idea but we didn't follow through, so we just looked at some houses here and there. This time, my mother is following through with moving, she has been looking at a lot of homes, but we do not have a set and done date when we are moving out. Since I also just got my application approved by LRD, I am stressed in this situation, when I get my letter in the mail to pay the license and fees and to get my photo taken, should I just keep that letter until we move out and notify LRD of a new address? I really do not know what to do here and just wondering what your guys advice is, thank you.
devin
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Change of Address

Post by S O K A R » 08 Jan 2023, 2:43 am

I don't know if Victoria differs in anyway to Tasmania, but here if you move house you have up to 14 days to notify the commissioner aka firearms services of said change of address (14 days from the date you move into the new place).
They usually require it in writing, but some states do allow you to submit it online now.

I wouldn't stress too much, its already been approved.
Just notify them as soon as you physically move and they will update it on their end, it won't effect your license in any way.
No reason you can't progress as planned, just hold off on the safe inspection until you're in the new place obviously.

Hope that helps.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Jan 2023, 11:57 am

G'day devin,
SOKARS's right, just notify LRD (there is a downloadable form on the vic police website) within 14 days of actually moving, no probs, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by devin » 08 Jan 2023, 12:53 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day devin,
SOKARS's right, just notify LRD (there is a downloadable form on the vic police website) within 14 days of actually moving, no probs, Cheers.

So should I wait to get my fee and photo ID thing and do that, send it back to LRD once it’s all done, get my physical license and then however long it takes to move out, and once we move out, tell them that I have changed addresses and they’ll send me a new license card?
devin
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Jan 2023, 1:23 pm

G'day devin, yes, proceed with your license as normal, and notify them when you change. It saves confusing the useless bastards.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by devin » 08 Jan 2023, 4:23 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day devin, yes, proceed with your license as normal, and notify them when you change. It saves confusing the useless bastards.

Seems like the better option to do at this point. I did email them yesterday asking on what I should but thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully it’s not a massive screw around for them.
devin
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by devin » 09 Jan 2023, 10:49 pm

Oh and also, I don’t need to do a license renewal when I change addresses? Silly question but just double checking as I don’t wanna wait another 2 or more months to get my license.
devin
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws