Interstate traveller picking up a firearm?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Interstate traveller picking up a firearm?

Post by S O K A R » 08 Jan 2023, 2:10 am

I'm coming over to Victoria in march for a concert & figured I'd pick up a shotgun I have sitting at a dealer over there whilst I'm in the state, that way I don't have to watch aus post send it around the country 16x before I get it

If I leave it in the 4wd inside a lockable compartment with a trigger lock, out of sight etc for a couple of days (since I obviously don't have access to a safe)
Would I get myself into any trouble for doing so if discovered?
Hotel I'm staying at has a semi secure car park, but I guess it wouldn't take too much to get in ha
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Interstate traveller picking up a firearm?

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Jan 2023, 11:49 am

G'day mate,
All good, what you propose does comply with storage requirements for travelling with a firearm, but just to be on the safer side perhaps hold off picking up the gun until the latest time before heading back to the boat. Don't forget to inform TT Line you are carrying firearms when you go home and also make sure your PTA is valid, it cannot be older than 28 days here, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 08 Jan 2023, 11:53 am

As a TAS licensed shooter will you have a VIC issued PTA that will authorise the VIC dealer to release the firearm to you?

Certainly in QLD all interstate transfers must be done between dealers with shooters obtaining a local PTA within their state only.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Jan 2023, 1:31 pm

G'day rc42, Victoria recognizes all Interstate Permits & Licenses, the only restriction is you must present your Interstate Permit in person, they will not release the firearm to an agent, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Jan 2023, 1:39 pm

CAVEAT TO MY LAST POST--Just because Vic recognizes Interstate PTA's does not necessarily mean your own State will accept this, be aware of your own States law.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws